Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,431,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
Different forms of ownership . I'm not an attorney nor Real Estate pro, but the major differences are that , in a co-op, you own a share of the entire building, and get to live in the unit .. with a condo, you have a deed to the specific unit, plus interest in the common elements. Generally, co-ops can be harder to finance, almost always have an approval process and some are known for their 'snootiness' ... If you're going to buy an apartment when you move to Chicago, chances are good most of what you'll be looking at will be condos versus co-ops.. they're not that common here.. but you should research the differences
yeah well this home is a Co-op at least thats what it says.

I guess I will have to wait another 5 years before I can by a home like that or I could just move back home to Houston instead of Chicago and buy a home like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:03 AM

295 posts, read 838,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
i hove one more question... do people from suburbs consider themselves chicagonians? do they say theay are from chicago?

This is typically how that conversation goes, if you are speaking to an actual resident of Chicago:

Q: "Where are you from?"
A: "Chicago"
Q: "Oh, which side?"
A: "Schuamburg"
Q: (repressed scowl) Oh.

If you are looking for the authentic Chicago resident "experience", you will not find it in Aurora or Joliet. They are fine communities, but they are not Chicago. Figure out what's important to you and your lifestyle. Try renting in both areas before you buy to see what suits you.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,091,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
i hove one more question... do people from suburbs consider themselves chicagonians? do they say theay are from chicago?
In a nutshell, as a former suburbanite, when traveling away from the Chicago area, I stated I was from Chicago for the ease conversation (nobody in Seattle is going to know the location of that nondescript burb on the s. side I grew up in). When in the Chicago area, I state the name of the burb I was from for the the ease of conversation (and even then I get some blank stares). If, outside, of the Chicago area, the other person happened to be from Chicago I would say 'oh, I'm really from xxx, but I didn't think you'd know where that was'. Mature people didn't seem to have a problem with this (it is the teenagers and the hipsters in their young 20's who get all excited about this rather trivial issue).

Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,270,098 times
from what i see chicago is good for wealthy people or lower class people and suburbs are good for lower and upper middle class. that would explain why chicago have 2.8 million people and suburbs 5 million. thats weird because UK and europe is completely different I think people from the burbs should consider themselves as "part chicagonians" because thats fair enough

Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Like I said $1800 more like $1,892 a month in assesments and as Lookout suggested it does in fact include taxes as well as all expenses.

Baird & Warner

either way my dreams went up in a puff of smoke =(
Are you sure that's 1892/month or is it 1892/year?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,431,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Are you sure that's 1892/month or is it 1892/year?
I'm pretty sure its a month because it read that it covers all utility expenses including taxes.
If its a year than I am buying it!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
I'm pretty sure its a month because it read that it covers all utility expenses including taxes.
If its a year than I am buying it!!!
I saw the "monthly payment" calculator on the side after I posted. The assessment is per month. For that much, I better get free "massage parlor" services.

One thing I find interesting is that it says "includes taxes" and yet there's a separate line item entry for taxes. I'd like to know what's included in these "expenses." Just what "expenses" are involved other than building maintenance? Does that include utilities? Parking? Is there a pool? That seems awfully steep even for a relatively old building, which tend to have high maintenance costs....

Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I saw the "monthly payment" calculator on the side after I posted. The assessment is per month. For that much, I better get free "massage parlor" services.

One thing I find interesting is that it says "includes taxes" and yet there's a separate line item entry for taxes. I'd like to know what's included in these "expenses." Just what "expenses" are involved other than building maintenance? Does that include utilities? Parking? Is there a pool? That seems awfully steep even for a relatively old building, which tend to have high maintenance costs....
Co-ops always have high monthly assessments like this. There is nothing unusual about this place in that regard. It's almost like paying rent in addition to your mortgage, but they don't really let you mortgage much of the equity share anyway.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,499 times
There are a lot of neighborhoods in Chicago with large homes. Especially if you want a house, downtown is not the place to look. Every neighborhood has its own character. In general the further you are from downtown the less expensive it will be (at least in the city.) You might be interested in old town. You also might want to consider renting if you're moving to the city and don't know that much about it.

chicagoapartmentsearcher.com can help you with that. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,448,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lise22 View Post
There are a lot of neighborhoods in Chicago with large homes. Especially if you want a house, downtown is not the place to look. Every neighborhood has its own character. In general the further you are from downtown the less expensive it will be (at least in the city.) You might be interested in old town.
Yeah, here in Old Town there are tons of huge houses on lovely properties. In fact, right on Division and Halsted is Cabrini Manor on a wonderful green gable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago