Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
Your example is a real outlier for a condo ( not a co-op) unless you were looking at the penthouse, or that particular development had rolled a special assessment into the monthly charges ( some do that ) ... For a high rise in South/West Loop ..assessments on a 1 bedroom are typically 350-500, for a two bedroom 400-600 , disregarding any special assessments .. Low Rise buildings are typically lower .. Main message is that it's an important charge to consider ( along w/ property taxes) if one is moving from a rental to an 'owner' environment .. and there's more homework to do on a condo versus a free standing house .. Co-ops are an entirely different animal w/ respect to costs of owning and assessments .. For most, if you have to ask ....
I think Myssa's point (and mine too) is that if a place seems outrageously cheap, it could be due to higher assessments. Buildings with high assessments usually sell at lower prices to make up for the additional cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,107 times
$1800 in assesments? I call BS. I dont think even the would be Spire would be that much

Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
$1800 in assesments? I call BS. I dont think even the would be Spire would be that much
I've seen co-ops with $2500 assessments. And even though this includes property taxes in a co-op, it is still outrageous.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 AM

968 posts, read 2,667,700 times
Yes, Co-Ops are a different beast because of the ownership model.. I've seen > 1K assessments in condos, but they've been on 2000 + SF 3 bedrooms that sell well north of 800K. Assessemnts are typically computed by the size of the unit .. I disagree w/ the contention that unit prices are adjusted to account for higher assessments ..unless it's an 'implicit' discount because the assessment includes parking . That doesn't mean that it wouldn't/shouldn't enter into the negotiations, though... Assessments in highrises are greater because of some of the commonly funded necessities ( elevators, central heating and air, security) and extras ( workout rooms, 'party' or meeting areas, pools ) .. Some of these amenities undoubtably serve as 'price enhancers' to the perceived value ( plus location, location, location) ..

Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Jeez, I can't believe how high those assessments are.

I'm in a very nice 1 bedroom gut re-hab in Buena Park. I love the place, $238K and $105 assessments each month. There are plenty of nice places all over, you just have to track them down. Location is a huge key. You certainly don't have to live in the ghetto, but don't expect to find a huge steal at Diversey and Clark.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 AM

968 posts, read 2,667,700 times
IMHO, if I were buying and a prospective unit had and assessment well above comparable nearby properties and didn't include something above and beyond , that'd be a red flag ... Something's wrong someplace..which should come out in the disclosures ..

Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 10,316 times
x

Old 04-28-2009, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 10,316 times
I

Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,431,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Like I said $1800 more like $1,892 a month in assesments and as Lookout suggested it does in fact include taxes as well as all expenses.

Baird & Warner

either way my dreams went up in a puff of smoke =(

Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM

445 posts, read 1,345,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Like I said $1800 more like $1,892 a month in assesments and as Lookout suggested it does in fact include taxes as well as all expenses.

Baird & Warner

either way my dreams went up in a puff of smoke =(
If that is really $1800 monthly, it would explain why the property like that had a price tag of only $250K.

As others have noted, the sale price of an attached dwelling has an inversely correlated liability to its monthly assessment. In other words, a $450,000 condo anywhere else might only sell for $250,000 if its monthly assessment is extremely high, as seems to be the case here. Huge assessments actually have a quality of life 'benefit' in certain regards. Some people want their living space to remain highly exclusive with the best possible services and property maintenance schedule that only a high assessment can provide, without having to outlay a mound of cash up front in sale price alone. Obviously, the free markets factor this in and adjust the "value" of the property accordingly (and as a direct result of the assessment), but the net effect of disproportionately high assessments is very appealing to some people in that their dwelling is very well served and flush with funding while the riff-raff factor is even lower than what a coop board gets away with.

I think why some people find that so offensive is they see pictures of fantastic properties that are otherwise way out of their league and as a result, get all excited but then sadly learn that yes, Virginia, the big assessment is the reason for the low price and you shouldn't even think about a condo without instinctively factoring in the monthly dues.

Last edited by PokerPlayer1; 04-28-2009 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago