Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,430,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
If that is really $1800 monthly, it would explain why the property like that had a price tag of only $250K.

As others have noted, the sale price of an attached dwelling has an inversely correlated liability to its monthly assessment. In other words, a $450,000 condo anywhere else might only sell for $250,000 if its monthly assessment is extremely high, as seems to be the case here. Huge assessments actually have a quality of life 'benefit' in certain regards. Soome people want their living space to remain highly exclusive with the best possible services and property maintenance schedule that only a high assessment can provide, without having to outlay a mound of cash up front in sale price alone. Obviously, the free markets factor this in and adjust the sale price of the property accordingly, but the net effect of disproportionately high assessments is very appealing to some people.

I think why some people find that so offensive is they see pictures of fantastic properties that are otherwise way out of their league and as a result, get all excited but then learn that yes, Virginia, the assessment is the reason for that and you shouldn't even think about a condo without instinctual factoring in the monthly dues.
yeah yeah I get it

I already knew all that

my post was for those in doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,269,473 times
oh well.. i gonna choose suburbs they are 5 times better ;p i dont know why would anyone choose chicago over its suburbs ;D Im thinking about romeoville or aurora. are they good? i mean safe

Old 04-28-2009, 05:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
oh well.. i gonna choose suburbs they are 5 times better ;p i dont know why would anyone choose chicago over its suburbs ;D Im thinking about romeoville or aurora. are they good? i mean safe
They are as beautiful as downtown Phoenix.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Check this map for the kind of information you need to make an informed choice:
http://www.nipc.org/forecasting/cens...s/poverty1.JPG

Bigger pdfs alone the same lines:
http://www.nipc.org/forecasting/cens...muni_draft.jpg
http://www.nipc.org/forecasting/cens...vchg_89_99.pdf

Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 PM

968 posts, read 2,667,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Like I said $1800 more like $1,892 a month in assesments and as Lookout suggested it does in fact include taxes as well as all expenses.

Baird & Warner

either way my dreams went up in a puff of smoke =(
hmmm....even though they don't explicitly state it.. that looks like a co-op .. Not sure how else they could include the taxes in the assessment .. For a condo , the unit is registered as a separate property w/ the county and the owner of the unit gets the bill ..

Old 04-28-2009, 06:36 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,430,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
hmmm....even though they don't explicitly state it.. that looks like a co-op .. Not sure how else they could include the taxes in the assessment .. For a condo , the unit is registered as a separate property w/ the county and the owner of the unit gets the bill ..
maybe it is but i dont even know what co-op is unless you are talking about the University of Texas

Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM

968 posts, read 2,667,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
maybe it is but i dont even know what co-op is unless you are talking about the University of Texas
Different forms of ownership . I'm not an attorney nor Real Estate pro, but the major differences are that , in a co-op, you own a share of the entire building, and get to live in the unit .. with a condo, you have a deed to the specific unit, plus interest in the common elements. Generally, co-ops can be harder to finance, almost always have an approval process and some are known for their 'snootiness' ... If you're going to buy an apartment when you move to Chicago, chances are good most of what you'll be looking at will be condos versus co-ops.. they're not that common here.. but you should research the differences

Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Co-ops have been the norm in New York for a long time, but condos are gaining popularity there. Why? Well most states didn't have condominium acts until the 1970s--so nearly all owner-occupied multi-unit buildings were co-ops before then. This is why many of the older buildings along Lake Shore Drive are co-ops instead of condos.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,269,473 times
i hove one more question... do people from suburbs consider themselves chicagonians? do they say theay are from chicago?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
^ Please do not go there!^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago