Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 PM

29 posts, read 129,515 times

Advertisements

Just moved to the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Love the area but noticed a chemical smell in the air like burning rubber the other day when it was cloudy. Is this from the oil refineries up north? If so, does anyone know if this is harmful or have resources where I can find out about it? I searched the Capitol Hill Neighborhood Association site and no one has commented on this in past issues of the bulletins. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
That area is sometimes downwind from the refineries in the NSL/West Bountiful area, and the smell can be pungent. I couldn't say for a fact that's what it was, but chances are good that's what it was.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
That area is sometimes downwind from the refineries in the NSL/West Bountiful area, and the smell can be pungent. I couldn't say for a fact that's what it was, but chances are good that's what it was.
I agree, that is probably what it was. Boy does it stink. I hope that the wind doesn't blow from that direction very often. I drove up there and was surprised at the amount of refineries and industrial operations. Seems like a toxic waste dump or a movie set in a post apocalyptic horror film and it can't be good for the environment or human health.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrit View Post
I agree, that is probably what it was. Boy does it stink. I hope that the wind doesn't blow from that direction very often. I drove up there and was surprised at the amount of refineries and industrial operations. Seems like a toxic waste dump or a movie set in a post apocalyptic horror film and it can't be good for the environment or human health.
I drove up there when I visted the area & I was shocked. It looked and smelled every bit as bad as the view from the Jersey Turnpike where it passes the most industrial part of NJ. I'd never consider living in Bountiful or points north of SLC for that reason alone.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM

111 posts, read 625,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
I drove up there when I visted the area & I was shocked. It looked and smelled every bit as bad as the view from the Jersey Turnpike where it passes the most industrial part of NJ. I'd never consider living in Bountiful or points north of SLC for that reason alone.
I don't disagree that the refineries are an eyesore and that they definitely stink!

But I have to chime in and say that I currently live in Bountiful and building a home in North Salt Lake by the Eaglewood Golf Course. We LOVE it here. I have to be honest and say I HATE that our fwy offramp is the refineries (what will our friends THINK??) but once I get up into the hills of Bountiful and especially our future neighborhood of Eaglewood Cove, I forget about them...it really is lovely up there, the people are incredibly nice and down to earth, and we're only a hop, skip, and a jump into downtown.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 AM

Ok, so we agree that the refineries stink and when the wind shifts from out of the NW then it blows their emissions into the city. Does anyone know what makes them stink and if breathing in that smelly air is harmful.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrit View Post
Ok, so we agree that the refineries stink and when the wind shifts from out of the NW then it blows their emissions into the city. Does anyone know what makes them stink and if breathing in that smelly air is harmful.
lol All refineries stink, and I think it's safe to say that breathing the fumes from any of them is not healthy, no matter what it is! But I'm sure it's diluted enough that it won't kill you unless you have a line pumping it directly into your house. Sorry to be a smart ass, but I think this is common sense.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 AM

150 posts, read 474,703 times
That smell is probably coming from that industrial area that runs from Beck street to Bountiful.

I can't believe they're actually building homes around there. I'm pretty sure more than just the air is contaminated in the area.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,400 times
What you are smelling is sulfur. If you look off the freeway to the left and right as you are coming around to Capitol Hill (heading south) you'll notice a few small ponds. These are sulfur "springs". Ever been to Yellowstone and smelt the rotten egg smell? Same thing. Sulfur deposits.. Doesn't have much, if anything, to do with the refineries.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,400 times
***sulphur***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area