Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,960 times

Advertisements

I work at the U in a very entry level job (front desk in a doctor's office). The pay isn't great, but the health benefits are amazing (and I worked in health insurance for a while, so I've seen a lot of different health plans). However, parking at the U is a nightmare. You can either deal with the lackluster shuttle service for free parking, or you can pay quite a bit for better parking closer to the hospital. The parking situation does seem to discourage some people from working at the U.

I don't know what pay or parking is like if you work for the University itself rather than the hospital, but I believe the health benefits are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 05:14 PM

8 posts, read 19,243 times
Thanks for the info. Good benefits are really important for me, so that's one of the reasons why I'm looking into working at the U. Although, their vacation plan seems a bit stingy. Does anyone know if the employees get a winter break? I currently work at a University here in Philly and we get the week after Christmas off, in addition to 24 vacation days.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 AM

242 posts, read 853,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeza View Post
Thanks for the info. Good benefits are really important for me, so that's one of the reasons why I'm looking into working at the U. Although, their vacation plan seems a bit stingy. Does anyone know if the employees get a winter break? I currently work at a University here in Philly and we get the week after Christmas off, in addition to 24 vacation days.
I just started working at the U myself, and as far as I know, we do not get any additional days off for Christmas. However, my department is staffed 24/7, but as far as the Administration goes, we get the 25th off.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderGirl View Post
I just started working at the U myself, and as far as I know, we do not get any additional days off for Christmas. However, my department is staffed 24/7, but as far as the Administration goes, we get the 25th off.
It makes a difference if you work for the hospital part of the U or the university part of the U.

If you want hospital work, there's also the IMed (Intermountain Medical) and St. Mark's and Salt Lake Regional for large hospitals. LDS Hosp is much smaller now and laying off people as patient loads dropped after IMed opened.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:54 AM

13 posts, read 44,321 times
Why is the rental situation strange? How is it strange? I have to rent a home and really don't want to deal with a landlord who thinks it is acceptable to raise the rent 50% in 6 months. I think we will get in SLC in June and want to move in by July. Does that seem logical?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I passed by the Incline Apts. the other day - looked nice from the outside, don't know a thing about them except they are very well located, on the slope where 5th South tuens into 4th South. On the TRAX line, between downtown and the U. Maybe someone else knows something about them? or else a place to check when you come.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:12 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibbet18 View Post
Why is the rental situation strange? How is it strange? I have to rent a home and really don't want to deal with a landlord who thinks it is acceptable to raise the rent 50% in 6 months. I think we will get in SLC in June and want to move in by July. Does that seem logical?
I don't mean this in a bad way, but what are you talking about?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 AM

21 posts, read 80,024 times
my fiance and I just relocated here in january. We stayed downtown for a few months at emigration apts.. they are pretty small, but we only stayed in a one bedroom. The downtown apartments are a little expensive. And that's weird to us since we just moved from the baltimore, MD area where rent is sky high for a 1 bdroom. Now we rent in cottonwood heights. We found that some of the nicer and more affordable apartments are outside of the downtown area. Coming from a high traffic metro area, the traffic out here commuting to downtown isn't bad at all and we usually travel around 7am.

We also just bought a home in south jordan/daybreak and will be commuting from there to downtown as well.

If space is an issue, i would consider renting in a suburb out of downtown, possibly cottonwood?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 24,395 times
Default Park City commute

To the OP,

I did the Park City to SLC commute every day for a couple of years. 25 minutes flat (near downtown). Studded snows are the way to go. I had a little Honda Civic and would pass the poor, stuck semis during a storm. It wasn't too bad really. Sometimes however, they close the canyon, so you have to listen to reports. If they close the canyon or they forecast closing, head home asap or be prepared for a longer drive around the mountain. Honestly, I only had to beat a canyon closing twice.

Good luck. Park City is cool - expensive though.

:-)

Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM

242 posts, read 853,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It makes a difference if you work for the hospital part of the U or the university part of the U.

If you want hospital work, there's also the IMed (Intermountain Medical) and St. Mark's and Salt Lake Regional for large hospitals. LDS Hosp is much smaller now and laying off people as patient loads dropped after IMed opened.

I work in Health Sciences. My last post was about a week after starting the new job, so I didn't know all of the details. I have heard that last year that all of the admin staff were off for a week (which is what I'm hoping for so much!) and then everyone else was there as normal.

I don't have a parking problem as we have our own lot, but I have had to travel all over campus for training and other work purposes and parking is a mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area