Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 08:11 AM

9,386 posts, read 7,016,792 times

Advertisements

Terrible terrible leadership & decision by the SLC politicians:

https://kutv.com/news/local/salt-lak...alls-to-defund

That is the equivalent of 50 officers per year... In a time of turmoil we need to double down on investing in law enforcement, improving standards & budgets, increasing training (both upfront & ongoing), and enhancing technology to better serve & protect the community. By pulling back funding you're putting the police' lives in danger and ultimately making it a much less attractive profession one that is already rife with danger, low pay, and relative angst by the community.

I'm sure Lauren would be in full support of a well staffed and funded police force.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/10/...o-killed-utah/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 01:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,243,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Terrible terrible leadership & decision by the SLC politicians:

https://kutv.com/news/local/salt-lak...alls-to-defund

That is the equivalent of 50 officers per year... In a time of turmoil we need to double down on investing in law enforcement, improving standards & budgets, increasing training (both upfront & ongoing), and enhancing technology to better serve & protect the community. By pulling back funding you're putting the police' lives in danger and ultimately making it a much less attractive profession one that is already rife with danger, low pay, and relative angst by the community.

I'm sure Lauren would be in full support of a well staffed and funded police force.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/10/...o-killed-utah/
Are you even a SLC tax payer and voter?

I am for an effective and productive police force but this type of uncritical opinion doesn't add any substance to it either way. There are competing demands on the city budget and diminishing revenue. So, I assume that the city needs to make ends meet. And, I don't see why police budget is sacrosanct.

I am personally not for or against police. The police officers do serve a very important function and take risks for the society that are to be appreciated. But - that should not translate into a blind and limitless support either. The resource and functional allocations are part of the city administration and we elect representatives to do it. I am not going to question them on the basis of this one-sided opinion.

If the profession becomes unattractive, it will become harder to hire and retain officers - and the pay will rise in response. That's the way it goes in every profession, I don't see what's so different here.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:01 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,084,172 times
I first visited SLC in 1969 at age 12, I had an Aunt that lived down the street from the Aviary and the park. I had an uncle who lived up on Mt. Olympus, and thought the views of the city at night were so pretty - and this comes from someone raised in Chicago.

I never thought SLC would degrade to where it is today, but it has the same pressures as every other large city in the U.S. - people who vote in Democrats because they want to be "progressive", and everyone knows that "progress" is better than "stagnation", right? My guess is that anyone who knew the city then, would trade it any day for the SLC of today. Liberalism is a mental disorder, and unfortunately, SLC was not immune to the disease. God Help Us.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I first visited SLC in 1969 at age 12, I had an Aunt that lived down the street from the Aviary and the park. I had an uncle who lived up on Mt. Olympus, and thought the views of the city at night were so pretty - and this comes from someone raised in Chicago.

I never thought SLC would degrade to where it is today, but it has the same pressures as every other large city in the U.S. - people who vote in Democrats because they want to be "progressive", and everyone knows that "progress" is better than "stagnation", right? My guess is that anyone who knew the city then, would trade it any day for the SLC of today. Liberalism is a mental disorder, and unfortunately, SLC was not immune to the disease. God Help Us.
And, I did not know America would degrade to where it is today where people exercising their political right would cause others such as yourself so much heartburn. What we can agree on is God help us, though our ideas of the help are very different.

PS: I know this thread is really about politics masquerading as praise for the governor. But - now that it has undeniably come down to politics, perhaps the moderator needs to move it to Politics and other Controversies where it has belonged from the very beginning.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
And, I did not know America would degrade to where it is today where people exercising their political right would cause others such as yourself so much heartburn. What we can agree on is God help us, though our ideas of the help are very different.

PS: I know this thread is really about politics masquerading as praise for the governor. But - now that it has undeniably come down to politics, perhaps the moderator needs to move it to Politics and other Controversies where it has belonged from the very beginning.
kavm, were the protests in SLC peaceful, or did they degrade into violence, looting, and arson as they did in so many other cities in the U.S.? I have zero problem with the former, but no respect for the latter, which is the source of my heartburn.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
kavm, were the protests in SLC peaceful, or did they degrade into violence, looting, and arson as they did in so many other cities in the U.S.? I have zero problem with the former, but no respect for the latter, which is the source of my heartburn.
Let's say the protests were not peaceful. By anyone's account, the non-violent/arsonist types were a small minority that do not enjoy support of others. I denounce them myself. But, you are denouncing "people who vote in Democrats..." - as if all democrats were somehow arsonists/violent or implicit supporters for such behavior. That's where we seriously disagree. We can be against the terrible incidents and apalled by the racist behavior by the police and also be democrats, progressive as well against the violence, looting and arson - and that applies to overwhelming majority of people (democrats and republicans).

We can be even handed about it - denounce and reject the poor behavior, listen to and act seriously and thoughtfully on the substance of the message where it is right.

There is "progressive" element among the violent/arsonist types, just as there is a similar element in the various right wing types. Both are equally worthy of rejection.

Similarly, the police serve a very important function in the society, put their lives at risk and are worthy of our support and gratitude. But, when some in their ranks act in objectionable manner - in racial and non-racial context, we need to denounce that too. And, we look much harder at finding ways of seriously addressing the problems in view of evidence we have all seen. Members of the police force themselves have to be part of the process of coming up with a solution, but the evidence is too egregious and persistent that it cannot just be left them. I am sure that a large majority of police force is equally ashamed and alarmed about what they are seeing - just as a large majority of the society.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:02 AM

16,180 posts, read 6,930,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm not faulting Governor Herbert. However, didn't the Salt Lake City police essentially take care of this on their own? If the Governor mobilized the National Guard to help that's fine. Its just that it looked to me like the police were able to manage this on their own.

How about some credit for the Salt Lake City Mayor, the Chief of Police, and the whole Salt Lake City Police Department which has a well deserved reputation for responsible and measured reactions to crowds.
Excerpt: If the Governor mobilized the National Guard to help that's fine. Its just that it looked to me like the police were able to manage this on their own.

Response:
One smart Governor protecting his police force.
The military can operate with impunity under certain conditions. Well Done!

Old 06-19-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt: If the Governor mobilized the National Guard to help that's fine. Its just that it looked to me like the police were able to manage this on their own.

Response:
One smart Governor protecting his police force.
The military can operate with impunity under certain conditions. Well Done!
Pure politics thread - masquerading as praise for the Governor, hardly universal.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:37 AM

14,439 posts, read 14,386,958 times
Quote:

I'm curious why some people inevitably have to use any thread to bash "liberals" or "progressives"? I'm also curious why they can't take this kind of rhetoric to the Politics Forum? This thread was about giving praise to the Governor and authorities for the way protests (and a very limited amount of violence) was handled. I should have known that someone out there would have to turn into the typical "I hate this group or that" blather.

Bobalink: From here out, I"m probably just going to tune out any reply you make to any thread.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm curious why some people inevitably have to use any thread to bash "liberals" or "progressives"? I'm also curious why they can't take this kind of rhetoric to the Politics Forum? This thread was about giving praise to the Governor and authorities for the way protests (and a very limited amount of violence) was handled. I should have known that someone out there would have to turn into the typical "I hate this group or that" blather.

Bobalink: From here out, I"m probably just going to tune out any reply you make to any thread.
Oh, no! Not that! Not self-censorship!
Make sure you take those earplugs out occasionally to wash them so you don't get an ear infection. The "Progressives" NEED to take heat for taking what could have been a great "coming together" moment for the country (the needless and unwarranted death of George Floyd by a stupid and cruel cop), and turning it into a lootfest that has stoked animosity and eliminated whatever Good Will was present. IMHO, the Gloves are Off at this point, we are that much closer to 1861 now, due to the anarchists who want to destroy instead of improve. My sadness comes from thinking SLC was better than that. It was, at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area