Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 10:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,961,692 times

Advertisements

Does it snow in Salt Lake in the winter? Duh, yes. But 60 inches on the ground would be a very unusual event. Most of the snow falls in moderate storms of 2-6 inches, melts, and then returns a week or so later. The other part of winter is the inversions, with stagnant air trapped in the Wasatch Valley for days or longer at a time.

Sundays are somewhat different in Utah than most places, but you will find most major stores open. The last time I was there they had no bus service on Sunday, but that may have changed.

One of the most unusual laws I discovered when I lived in bordering Idaho is that if you are pulled over coming into Utah you could be ticketed for carrying any alcohol, even if it was stored in your trunk. My guess that would be hard to enforce unless they had reason to search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 08:36 AM

337 posts, read 313,606 times
What about St George, Utah, for the OP?

Old 06-09-2020, 09:06 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,114,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
What about St George, Utah, for the OP?
That might actually be a very good option. I'd pick St. George over Las Vegas any day! There's a lot of new construction going on there, and while the summers are hot, the winters are very mild. I think the OP would be wise to look into it.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:31 AM

Utah’s Dixie as they say.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:56 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,493,239 times
OP, type the words “SLC inversion” into google, click on images, and that is what you will be dealing with the majority of the winter in Salt Lake City, including the most of the Wasatch Front.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:58 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,062,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
OP, type the words “SLC inversion” into google, click on images, and that is what you will be dealing with the majority of the winter in Salt Lake City, including the most of the Wasatch Front.
The inversions are an issue, make no mistake about it. But it is a wild exaggeration to suggest that >50% of winter days have inversion conditions.

"A typical Utah winter sees about five to six multi-day inversion episodes and on average, 18 days with high PM2.5 levels exceeding the National Ambient Air Quality Standard (NAAQS). A strong storm or low-pressure system is often needed to clear out the inversion." Source: https://deq.utah.gov/air-quality/inversions

As to the issue of snow, the Wasatch front does get some snow but it's generally gone in a day. 60" spread over a 4 month winter season is next to nothing and it is usually in 4" increments. Last winter I never shoveled my driveway, I just let it melt. Moreover, the horrific blizzards and ice storms that trouble many regions in the northern US would be extreme freak events (e.g., 30" snow at one time). That said, OP would likely be better off in AZ or NV.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:41 AM

One important point that I am not sure has been mentioned here is Salt Lake City is actually a liberal city compared to its surroundings in the Wasatch valley. This is one of those odd stats that some don’t realize. There is quite a bit of misunderstanding about this but the truth is despite being the worldwide home of the LDS religion, the city of Salt Lake usually votes democratic and leans liberal.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:19 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,253,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
One important point that I am not sure has been mentioned here is Salt Lake City is actually a liberal city compared to its surroundings in the Wasatch valley. This is one of those odd stats that some don’t realize. There is quite a bit of misunderstanding about this but the truth is despite being the worldwide home of the LDS religion, the city of Salt Lake usually votes democratic and leans liberal.
May I ask why that is relevant? Also, as someone who lives here - it is a very modest comfort for anyone with liberal / progressive mindset to see it as an island of liberalism (which it is not) in the middle of a very red state.

Anyone moving to this state need to be aware that it is a one-party state in which their political voice has very little meaning. Same with religion - if an excessive influence of a dominant religious body in the politics and business of the state bothers you, expect to be faced with it.

We moved here knowing that at a high level and did not think it would bother us. But - it does. This and the inversions are our only two complaints living here.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:42 PM

Why relevant? Revisit title of thread.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:30 AM

17,913 posts, read 13,845,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisonDeEtre View Post
SoCal or Hawaii is more like it, LOL!

I realize Utah is not going to be any of my preferences climatically... but SoCal and Hawaii are out of reach unless I can commit to living in a 650 sq ft. condo for the rest of my life... don't want to do that.

So it's a matter of finding a place I can stand to live... and still be able to afford a home I can stand to live in.

Hot summers don't bother me. Did 2 years in Tucson... as long as the air works, I'm good. I actually set the thermostat to 84 degrees, even in summer.

But yes... 60" of snow over the snow season sounds *terrible* to me, LOL!

I can envision buying 3 months of groceries at a time and never leaving the house that time of year.
To my way of thinking 60 inches of snow sounds worse way worse than it is. If you lived in Arizona then you may realize that Flagstaff gets 80 to 100 inches of snow. Way more than SLC.

But even Flagstaff residents don't complain that much about it being "too snowy".

Big fan of the SLC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: