Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 18,931 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our early 30's thinking of moving from Washington DC to SLC. We are used to a Starbucks on every corner, and many nearby bars and restaurants. We understand that by moving to SLC we would be sacrificing somewhat when it comes to coffee shops and happy hours, but what is the real difference? From what I've read, if we live downtown in an area like Sugarhouse, we should be able to find coffee and beer when we want it, even if not as readily available. But of course all of our friends here think we're crazy and keep repeating all the rumors they've heard about the lack of coffee and alcohol. So please set us straight - will it really impact our lives that much? We hope not, because we love everything else we've read, but we also have to nurse our caffeine addictions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 08:45 AM

17 posts, read 75,540 times
If you want real beer, not 3.2 beer, you have to buy it in a state owned liquor store. You also have to buy wine in a liquor store. There is one in Sugarhouse, and there are 3 more in the downtown area. There are no happy hours. If you want to go out for a drink in a bar and not eat anything, you have to join a private club and pay a yearly membership fee. You can generally get wine and real beer, sometimes mixed drinks as well, in most restaurants, but everything is precisely measured and recorded. Don't expect a real drink. There are a few drive thru espresso stands, but I always seem to forget where they are, and when I do find them I always seem to be driving in the wrong direction. We have many Starbucks, if you are willing to settle for their offerings. My solution was to buy a high quality espresso machine for home and mail order my Italian coffee beans. Cheaper in the long run. So Yes you can get coffee and alcohol. You just have to try harder.
If you are expecting a nightlife scene you may be disappointed.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:53 PM

47 posts, read 231,604 times
No, it is not that difficult for either. Plenty of coffee. Alcohol a little tougher, but not that much. Kind of a good news/bad news deal. For instance, in 2005 54% of traffic deaths were alcohol related in District of Columbia. In Utah, 13%. So I guess you get what you ask for. These are just stats of course and to be taken any way you want. There is definitely less drinking in Utah. I have no stats on the percentage of cofee related traffic deaths.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:11 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,601 times
Coffee and Alcohol is at your disposal much like anywhere else, except for the provisions mentioned above. Our office brews coffee like there is no tomorrow!

Old 02-04-2007, 04:52 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2006 View Post
...I have no stats on the percentage of cofee related traffic deaths.
*lol*

thanks!

--'rocco

Old 02-05-2007, 08:23 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
It's simply not an issue.

There's coffee everywhere you'd expect it to be served in restaurants, and it has the same availability in supermarkets as anywhere else. There are coffee shops, too.

The laws provide for licensed "clubs" to serve alcohol to "members". So, a restaurant or bar serving alcohol will have a "club" membership open to all legal age patrons. It may be limited to that visit for a very nominal fee, or it may be an annual membership (again, for a very minimal fee). Whatever, it's no big deal to get served, although they don't tolerate serving clearly drunken people as might be served in other places.

Walk-in beer coolers are at many of the gas station C-stores (which happen to be owned by LDS members, too).

All alcohol sold in the state goes through the state liquor wholesale system, as is done in some other states. With the exception of some limited availability wines, you can readily buy your beverage of choice.

This shouldn't be a factor in deciding to visit or live in UT.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:32 AM

56 posts, read 254,113 times
For those interested...

The state does do one really neat thing with their wine and spirits. If you go here:

http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Price_List/product_price_legend.html (broken link)

You can see every wine they have for sale, how much it is, and how close they are to running out. I've never seen anything like this before (in any state). If you're into wine, it's pretty neat and updated daily.

-askslc

Old 03-21-2007, 10:55 PM

10 posts, read 33,555 times
My sister from GA says her cigarettes cost $11 more here than there. She wants to know where the tax money is going because it certainly isn't in the schools. (I know, not the subject--but she also drinks and says that costs more.)

The way we drink coffee here, the state should consider a larger tax on that. All the legislature should be really happy there are people that smoke, drink, and like caffiene; otherwise, the state would be broke!...LOL...

Old 03-22-2007, 03:38 PM

10 posts, read 23,921 times
Well I don't drink. but I have heard the local breweries have some pretty good ales. just search salt lake brewing.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:04 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,774 times
You can buy beer in most grocery stores and of course coffee is fairly easy to find
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area