Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:49 PM

14 posts, read 45,831 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am looking to move out west in late January. I was first considering Colorado, but I have been hearing gloomy news about the job market in the Denver and Boulder areas, and although I would still love to move there, I am scared of the prospect of being unemployed there for a while (unless I moved to Greeley, which is doing well). I have a friend who lives near Salt Lake City, and he said that there are plenty of jobs there. Plus, the state has a low unemployment rate. Is there anybody else who can tell me more about the health of the local job market? Is it very competitive like in most other places?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Different fields, different answers. What is your field?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 PM

Red face Better job market

I work as an admin assistant at a commercial insurance agency, so I am looking for a similar position for now. I am proficient in Spanish, also, and have a B.A. in Modern Language and Culture.

I am most interested in an entry-level position with a federal agency such as the BLM, NPS, or the EPA, because my real passion is for the outdoors.

Do you think that I could find a good position in the SLC area?

Thanks.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:25 PM

203 posts, read 720,372 times
When i lived in CO i had a hard time finding a decent job. I moved to utah and was never out of work for more than a couple weeks as i looked for something new. However, i worked as a mechanic and in the I.T. field, so i feel i have a lot of options open for employment. I don't know how it is for others, but i found that wages in utah are very low, and the cost of housing went up there while wages didnt. I've since moved BACK to seattle, and my quality of life has improved because of the wage i'm making and the rent im paying. I have more a positive proportion of income.

As was said before though.. depends on who you are and what you do.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:30 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,058 times
What about cnc machining field?

Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 PM

203 posts, read 720,372 times
I was seeing a woman who was a CNC machinist, and she'd worked a few places around SLC, such as Black Diamond, Marshall radio telemetry, and a couple others i dont remember the name of. We talked about work and it didn't seem like she had much trouble staying employed, or moving on to a new position. I dont know how representative what i'm saying is of the market there in general though.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuturbo View Post
When i lived in CO i had a hard time finding a decent job. I moved to utah and was never out of work for more than a couple weeks as i looked for something new. However, i worked as a mechanic and in the I.T. field, so i feel i have a lot of options open for employment. I don't know how it is for others, but i found that wages in utah are very low, and the cost of housing went up there while wages didnt. I've since moved BACK to seattle, and my quality of life has improved because of the wage i'm making and the rent im paying. I have more a positive proportion of income.

As was said before though.. depends on who you are and what you do.
I just read an article on Yahoo news, maybe from Forbes.com, that mentioned that wages in SLC are rising.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:09 PM

Utah also ranked #2 in the US for quality of life, and I have talked to many people who say that the economy there is pretty good, especially in comparison to the rest of the country. I keep finding less and less reasons to not move to SLC area!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Utah has a great economy and fantastic job market. Utah is also the fastest growing state, mainly due to the high birth rate, but Utah also leads when it comes to job creation. Arizona is also a close second. I think the Intermountain West is going to be the new sunbelt when it comes to growth in future years.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 23,546 times
I'm going to be graduating from college next year with a degree in Accounting. Can I find a decent, well-paying job in the city or suburbs? And what about the cost of living--particularly renting an apartment? I'm looking to spend no more than about $1200/month.
Is the weather comparable to Colorado? Cold, snowy winters and hot, dry and stormy summers?
What are the people like in the state of Utah? Do you have to be Mormon to live there? Am I going to be ostracized or discriminated against if I'm not? What if I told you I'm Jewish? Will you still accept me? Are there a lot of "minority" individuals in Utah, aka blacks, hispanics, asians, etc. I'm just curious at to what your diversity is like, if at all. Thanks. Anyone with a reply, feel free to email me: sdg1023@gmail.com. Thanks, I'm trying to get out of California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area