Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:50 PM

153 posts, read 564,583 times

Advertisements

Not even close. First snow is generally end of October and usually we're done by end of March/early April, but it varies, but not generally longer than that. Utah doesnt have a 9 month snow season and we dont have constant snow on the ground either. Yes, it has snowed in May and June, end of September , but that's so rare it shouldnt be used to describe utah's typical winter IMO.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 PM

203 posts, read 721,296 times
the AVERAGE snowfall for the month of may is .6" and september is .1".
Record snowfall for these months is 7.5" and 4.0", respectively.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM

153 posts, read 564,583 times
But saying that Utah has snow 9 months out of the year, makes it seem like we're Montana or something. I'm not sitting on statistics here, just saying from living here, I dont really count April, May, June, July, August or September as snow months.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,981,040 times
I remember it snowing in June one year...2001 I think it was. It was coming down pretty good, didn't stay very long, but I certainly wouldn't ever say that June is a snow month. Usually it is hotter than ****

Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM

43 posts, read 133,367 times
It totally depends where you live. If you are in the city, you are ok. If you go north or south..not so much. We are in our early 30's (no kids - GASP!!) and live in Davis county. It is VERY LDS here. Tough to fit in. We had a hard time this past year.

I work at the U, and my friends/colleagues that live in the city have a different experience. So you may be ok. Personally, given the choice of Denver vs. SLC, I'd take Denver in a heartbeat. My husband is in the military, so we didn't get a choice.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,981,040 times
Sorry for your experience Jennabugs! I have heard some people say that Davis County is a bit rough to fit into, although I haven't had too much experience with Davis County myself. What experience I have had though, that wouldn't surprise me.

When we first moved here we lived in Salt Lake County. We never had an issue fitting in there, but DH and I kept to ourselves quite a bit. After we had kids we moved to Tooele County and we are very happy here.

I grew up military and sometimes the assignments were just not how you had hoped, huh?

Old 01-08-2009, 04:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
SLC itself is different from Sandy, South Jordan, etc. But it all kind of runs together, so you may not notice when driving that you've left one city and entered another. The closer to downtown, the better IMHO. Yes, the housing is older (but no cookie cutter neighborhoods), yes the lots are smaller than some (but less grass to water/mow), and a better mix for me of LD/non neighbors.

What others have written seems to be true about the church keeping members VERY busy. I worked closely with a very nice LDS woman who told me a little about her activities with the church. I don't know when she had time to clean her house much less socialize with anyone outside of seeing them at a church activity.

But you will offend people at work by saying "hell," "damn," or "****." I had to work closely on myself after I was criticized at work for cursing when I said "damn" in exasperation.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,770,990 times
I hear what Jennabug is saying. We also didn't do the "kid" thing. We spent 10 nice years in the SF Bay Area and enjoyed it until it got way overcrowded and the economy changed there. So we moved here in 93. However we too feel quite a bit on the "outside" here. I have few friends I see regularly, and my wife has some from when she was LDS but isn't anymore so we don't socialize much. They all have multiple kids and we don't go for that. Nothing in common. Our home isn't geared towards kids either. The one thing we REALLY miss is being able to go out to a variety of restaurants for a nice "child free" dinner. Good luck with that in Utah. It virtually ain't gonna happen. People drag their screamin brats EVERYWHERE. It's like they are tied to their hips. At least in California they got baby sitters and went out for a "adults night out" kind of dinner, so this was rather foreign to us, and not a welcome experience. Oh well....just another one of those things to have to "put up" with living in this "children first" State..........

Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
More expensive restaurants rarely have kids in them. I've never seen kids at Metropolitan, Bambara, the New Yorker, Tsunami, Michaelangelo's, etc. Even Mazza, Lone Star Steak House and the Red Lobster rrely have kids in them and they're not screaming.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM

203 posts, read 721,296 times
I rarely, if ever.. saw kids at Market Street, Happy Sumo, Fleming's, Snowbird's steak pit, Tiburon, or Spencer's. (which all have amazingly good food, btw) On the other hand.. at second rate establishments such as Applebee's, TGI Fridays, and Chili's, it was quite common to see a few folks dining with their kids in tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area