Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,313 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job opportunity that would move us to the SLC area. We are non-LDS and frankly don't know if there are certain areas that welcome non-LDS families more than other areas. This certainly seems to be a common topic on this forum.

We are thinking that a master planned community would give us a great opportunity to meet other families as they tend to have more activites. We read a little about Suncrest in Draper and Daybreak in South Jordan. Does anyone have input on either of these locations or any better suggestions?

Also, we have a three year old daughter and I stay home with her, so we would be looking for a family-oriented location.

I appreciate your help!

Old 06-23-2006, 04:54 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,990 times
Both Suncrest and Daybreak are fine choices. People from all backgrounds and areas will be moving there pretty much at the same time. I've heard that the snow and wind is much HEAVIER in Suncrest as compared to the rest of the valley. You are of course on top of a mountain. I would not be concerned about LDS and non-LDS in those areas. I live in Millcreek (East Salt Lake) and my neighborhood is probably only 60% LDS.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,064 times
I live pretty close to Suncrest. Draper, UT a very beautiful place and depending were your moving too you may get a view of the entire SLC Valley. I don’t know what you've heard about Utah but the Salt Lake Metro area isn’t just Mormons. Allot of people in the area are from all different races, religions, and ethnicity. I moved from San Mateo, Cali, back in 1980
back then the majority of people here were cascausian and morman but things they changed allot. Im sure you would love it here

Old 07-11-2006, 11:47 PM

35 posts, read 161,539 times
Utah needs more people who arent LDS. Move here! Most people are fine with the concept of not being Mormon... at least now anyway. Youll do fine anywhere in Metro Salt Lake City.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:55 AM

246 posts, read 329,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy@Tacoma
Utah needs more people who arent LDS. Move here!
Best advice on this forum yet.

Magpies

Old 07-13-2006, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,214 times
I moved my family (wife and three teenagers) from Texas to Slc and lived in SLC for 15 years. I am not mormon and I had concerns. I ended up loosing my job and had to move to the NW area. If you love the outdoors...Slc is fabulous. My family fit in very well with the mormons there and they never once tried to push their religion on us. As a matter of fact 90% of my friends are mormons. I have high respect for the momons because of the emphasis they put on family, education, and health. What is my religion you ask?? none...I have only been to church a couple of times in my life. Slc is the greatest...if I could get a job there...I would be there in a flash.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:33 AM

10 posts, read 35,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdole
My husband is considering a job opportunity that would move us to the SLC area. We are non-LDS and frankly don't know if there are certain areas that welcome non-LDS families more than other areas. This certainly seems to be a common topic on this forum.
Moving into a new community, such as Suncrest or Daybreak is probably your best shot at acceptance, as basically everyone will be 'newcomers' and anxious to get to know other families with children of similar ages. Once you have actually established friendships, they don't care so much if you go to their church or not. I wouldn't suggest (as a Non-mormon) moving into an established neighborhood south of SLC due to the strong Mormon network - their children and they have plenty of friends in their own church group so why would they need to chance making new friends with non-members seems to be the attitude. *Note - I have heard that the wind never stops blowing up on that ridge, although the views are spectacular.

Wherever you go, I would suggest placing your daughter in a cooperative preschool, where you as the parent go to help out at least once a month. That way, you meet both the parents coming and going as well as have a chance to get to know the kids and find a good-fit friend(s) for your daughter.

Above all, it is up to you to be outgoing and act as though you want to make friends, not wait for them to come to you. Their church keeps them pretty busy with one thing and another, so they have a ready-made network of friends and activities. They simply do not always have time or need to make the effort to get to know other people. Contrary to the notion that Mormons are agressive about trying to bring others into their fold, they will leave you very much alone unless you make it clear you want to be included in their community. It's also important that you accept THEM, and don't bash their religion. You'd be surprised at how many Non-mormons go around complaining about "the Church" or the members, and then are surprised and offended because they're not accepted by their Mormon neighbors and their kids have no friends.

Last edited by Yac; 07-22-2006 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: quote repaired

Old 09-13-2006, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,309 times
earlier in this thread Tony also gave you excellent guidance. My husband and I had a 'blended' family, both of us in our 2nd marriages, neither of us Mormon, full custody of all children from our marriages. Just like anywhere there will always be one or two experiences of , not really "extremists", but more..orthodoxy. lol Our four children attended their entire school careers in Utah, just north of Ogden. We both felt it was an ideal place to raise children regardless of faith or even no faith in particular. The atmosphere is community oriented and wholesome. The Mormon church has gotten some bad press of late, but so has the Catholic church and before that, the Baptists. It's always something. I left Utah after my divorce just because I needed a change. But I would not hesitate to return. Another area for you to consider with a similar atmosphere, lovely climate with four seasons (!) and quite a number of high tech companies is the suburban Boise Idaho area. My ex once described Boise (fondly) as "Boulder without the granola" . Best of luck to you.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 99,997 times
That sure is great to hear.,,,,:0)

Old 09-23-2006, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,309 times
Default Re: non-LDS family considering move to SLC

If I were you and moving to SLC from out of state...I would not move into a large development like daybreak or the others. I think that is going to be a place that you feel like an outsider. I would look in Sugarhouse, the Avenues, University area, Foothill, 9th & 9th. There are other cool areas to live in SLC...and lots of up-and coming neighborhoods to be found in the metro area of SLC. If you want to find a no-LDS group these are some good places to start. Also look into a preschool called CCNS for you 3 year old. It is a great place for non LDS families to find a community the feel good about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area