Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times

Advertisements

For the past six years a summer camp, focused on FUN, FUN, FUN and friendship with other children ages 7-12 years old, who have already been diagnosed with cancer, has been held east of Idaho Falls, ID. It is called Camp Magical Moments. UT children who have cancer in remission, or potentially even some undergoing certain types of treatment, are eligible for this regional FREE summer camp.

Obviously, each child's oncologist and perhaps pediatirician, if there are other medical concerns, must certify the child is well enough to participate in this camp. I've been disappointed not seeing anything in the UT media about it. I wondered if residents of UT realized there are empty spots this year for the 6 day camp, and most likely there are some UT kids who may have been eligible to attend, but their parents didn't know about it.

Probably this year with UT's pandemic of A/H1N1 flu it is ultimately good more children did not attend. Being a potential carrier of A/H1N1 flu would be horrible among children who have had to be or are currently being immunosuppressed. (If you don't believe that, read the multiple news release about the NICU babies in NC exposed by an RN to A/H1N1, who had taken care of an asthmatic patient previously. The asthma patient tested positive for A/H1N1 and so did the RN later.) No one with an infectious disease should attend this camp with immunocompromised children.

This is a historical year with the Level 6 Pandemic Alert by The World Health Organization for A/H1N1; however, in the future, Camp Magical Moments is something to remember if you have someone in your family, neighborhood or you know of a regional child 7-12 who is battling cancer or has.

UT, ID, Wy and children from other areas gather together to have fun, make friends, learn how others have coped etc. Here is the website and more about the founder of this camp, the former executive director of the American Cancer Society: Cancer Camp for Kids - Camp Magical Moments - Swan Valley Idaho.

In the interest of full disclosure I have nothing to do with this camp or anyone who volunteers or runs it.

How I was made aware of it was via a friend who survived his cancer treatment and as a small way to help others funds 1-2 scholarships/year so children may attend for free.

Sometimes we don't know what to do to help those struggling with cancer in their families. Mentioning this camp, if appropriate, may help give hope to a youngster. Also, one person or a group of people who want to help a child or chldren may want to consider donating scholarships.

Additionally, I know adults lost to cancer who would have loved it if those who sent wonderful flowers to their funerals would have had that money spent to help children fighting the same awful disease. Some people donate money just knowing this is a safe place where UT children are invited to come and be children, to let go of their cares and adult struggles for about a week.

I don't know if volunteers from UT are needed for next year or not. If you have never been to the Swan Valley, ID area (which is between Idaho Falls and Jackson Hole, WY), it is gorgeous country where some of the wealthiest of wealthy stay at nearby private lodges or private homes for fishing and solitude. For those who have never seen and can't afford to pay the price of hotel rates, perhaps donating time would be as helpful. I would encourage anyone interested to ask via the website, as I don't even know anyone involved with this camp, only the need and some kids who would have benefitted when they were younger.

Because I've not seen anything about this in the UT media, I want to post a link to an Idaho Falls tv station. IF you have any connections with the media, consider letting them know about this camp. Here is the link to KIFI in Idaho Falls, ID and a story about this campers this year, including children from UT:

"Kids with Cancer Experience a Magical Moment"

Kids With Cancer Experience Magical Moments - KIFI - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson WY - Weather News Sports-

Please share this information with anyone you think may benefit from the camp next year. You may want to check the ID forum as I did start a thread there too. Some of the readers may have far more than I.

Good luck to these campers in your continued recovery from this horrible disease. I'm glad someone has given you a place to be kids again

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area