Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,596 times

Advertisements

Cullen, I have lived in Utah for most my life. There are so many cookie cutter neighborhoods here that you wouldn't believe it. Most of these newer developments are popping up on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley because development kind of has stretched out to the only remaining open space and that is south and west of downtown SLC. I hate this idea just as you do, but your assumptions were right, too many people take for granted character and would rather try to get into a big home that looks "new." So the "McMansions" that you speak of continue to go up. The real frustrations are that the people buying these houses are younger families, even newly married couples that seem to take for granted everything you speak of. Its all about how fast you can look somewhat wealthy to your friends, families and neighbors.

I lived in Jersey for a while and really miss the originality of houses and neighborhoods. Not one house being the same. Big yards and open space. of course I am talking about more rural areas of Jersey! Anyway, the closest thing that I see here in Utah that matches what I loved about those neighborhoods is in a town known as sugarhouse, or the avenues. They are very close to metro downtown SLC, but the houses there were built back in the day and were not molded from others. Each house has its own character and style. The yards could be bigger and houses more spaced, you may get lucky and find one like that. "Downtown" sugarhouse is nothing to special, but there are lots of local type stores that give it originality and flavor. I used to drive fifteen minutes in the morning to go to this cereal bar in "downtown" sugarhouse because it reminded me of a place back in Jersey. Anyway, I think that area would best suit what you are looking for and you should check it out before you completely rule UT out. Like you said, there are so many options here in SLC. Camping, fishing, hiking, golf, skiing, rock climbing and so many other outdoor things are so close and available from here. The mountains are so majestic and beautiful, literally you grow to love them. The salt lake valley itself is rather beautiful from a view!! Anyway, I stay here because of those options, they outway the cookie cutter mansions that lack character and are just so... blah. Let me know if you have other questions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 7,596 times
JC,
I would check out a place called cottonwood heights. it is close to the mouth of the canyon that snowbird is located. also look at sandy. adresses that have higher numbers with an East reference to it will be closer to the mountain. for example, a 1300 E. address in sandy is about a 30 minute drive to snowbird. a 3000 E. address in sandy is about a 15 minute drive to snowbird. hope that helps!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:40 PM

20 posts, read 64,988 times
Default Daybreak

I did check out Daybreak and I must say, that has to be about as close to an inteligently designed comunity as possible, within the Wasach Front area. Just want to share my two cents as to my oppinion of the very real benefits of this community, which I have discovered.

It will have accress to the light rail, which is excellent. Also it appears that it has or will have a mixed use zoning plan meaning there will be commercial areas within the community to do shopping etc. This could potentially lead to less of a need to drive places in order to get basic nessesities.

Theres a community center to bring people together which is nice.

The open space that has been set aside is also a good thing. I think, ecologically speaking, it is best to have a community share forested, open, and garden space.. as opposed living in an isolated area with your own massive forest/garden sourrounding your house. (I wonder if it would be possible for the community to put a community supported agriculture garden within the open space somewhere..)

Daybreak has got a sort of communal feel to it, yet its far from a hippy dippy commune.

So it seems to offer the best of all worlds..nature and american dream houses/community. The houses seem to have a time tested sort of traditional design. I will say some of the big houses are a bit too cookie cutter for me, but I think that the smaller houses are quite quaint. Thank you coolcats for pointing out this development to me.

I am curious as to if the community will connect to the South Jordin town center by rail or other public transportation..

Last edited by cullen90; 04-30-2007 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 23,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerz2007 View Post
JC,
I would check out a place called cottonwood heights. it is close to the mouth of the canyon that snowbird is located. also look at sandy. adresses that have higher numbers with an East reference to it will be closer to the mountain. for example, a 1300 E. address in sandy is about a 30 minute drive to snowbird. a 3000 E. address in sandy is about a 15 minute drive to snowbird. hope that helps!

I have been looking at a rental there,,good info to have!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:14 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Curious why the OP would not consider areas within SLC if so opposed to sprawl? There is not much crime (particularly on the East side of SLC), there are beautiful houses, many of which have been completely renovated so do have new plumbing, wiring, great kitchens, etc. It's walkable, etc etc. The Avenues, Sugar House, Harvard/Yale...I just don't understand how someone can say they don't like sprawl but then start looking into a place like Daybreak (which is just nicely done sprawl). I can see issues with other cities, but really, SLC is not congested and full of crime like many cities. Unless it's a pricing issue b/c admittedly a really nice home in an area E of 1300 would be more expensive than a similar sq. footage home in Daybreak (or other outlying areas). ps--much more religious diversity within SLC limits too which is nice for those who aren't LDS (though for clarity I am by no means lumping myself with those who insult LDS. I believe there are good and bad people in every religion (and atheists too)! )

Old 09-22-2008, 05:13 PM

515 posts, read 2,324,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Curious why the OP would not consider areas within SLC if so opposed to sprawl? There is not much crime (particularly on the East side of SLC), there are beautiful houses, many of which have been completely renovated so do have new plumbing, wiring, great kitchens, etc. It's walkable, etc etc. The Avenues, Sugar House, Harvard/Yale...I just don't understand how someone can say they don't like sprawl but then start looking into a place like Daybreak (which is just nicely done sprawl). I can see issues with other cities, but really, SLC is not congested and full of crime like many cities. Unless it's a pricing issue b/c admittedly a really nice home in an area E of 1300 would be more expensive than a similar sq. footage home in Daybreak (or other outlying areas). ps--much more religious diversity within SLC limits too which is nice for those who aren't LDS (though for clarity I am by no means lumping myself with those who insult LDS. I believe there are good and bad people in every religion (and atheists too)! )
I agree - it sounds like what he's looking for is in the city itself. People may not realize that you can be in the city limits and in neighborhoods full of houses and trees - it's not very urban at all, unless you are actually "downtown", close to Temple Square, The Gateway, etc. I am not a "city" person at all, but besides Park City, I would only live in SLC itself, Sugarhouse or Aves. Actually I wound up in E. Millcreek but I'm just a few blocks south of Sugarhouse.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Thread was started 1 yr ago

Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 AM

10 posts, read 35,093 times
Cullen,

My husband and I are moving to Utah in a month or two and we also noticed this about the SLC area. We yearn for a place that has a smaller town feel, but see the scourge of new development homes creeping over the more open spaces. Wouldn't it be nice to walk to town to a locall diner with a great breakfast or hang out at a coffee shop that has a lot of character? I hear you on this!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:50 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_migrant View Post
Cullen,

My husband and I are moving to Utah in a month or two and we also noticed this about the SLC area. We yearn for a place that has a smaller town feel, but see the scourge of new development homes creeping over the more open spaces. Wouldn't it be nice to walk to town to a locall diner with a great breakfast or hang out at a coffee shop that has a lot of character? I hear you on this!
Tooele.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:11 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_migrant View Post
Cullen,

15th and 15th has that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area