Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,331,095 times

Advertisements

Just a rant. It has happened so many times. You need repairs or an estimate - from tree folk, painters, masons, roofers. You make an appointment and they never show.

Sigh - yes - you can post about them on various sites but I just don't understand the mentality.

I've heard it explained that lots of the independent guys work till they have enough money for a bit and then laze around till they run out.

Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,894,397 times
Been there, suffered from it. I wish I could figure out a way to prevent it. It happens often. I don't understand it when the economy is supposed to be so bad and people are out of work. I feel your pain.....er..no....anger and frustration.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,714 times
This has happened to us so many times since we've moved here... I couldn't even begin to count. Plumbers, painters, landscapers... I have had the best experiences using Servicemajic for recs.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:26 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
I agree with you all... sadly many of those wannabe handyman’s does not take any pride in their trade. To stay to their word, to follow the agreement, to be on time, to call if not, to do a decent job - those are foreign concepts for many.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:11 PM

7 posts, read 23,054 times
Well I cannot defend the "Wannabe Handyman"...but all I can say is that my father is the trade himself, and sometimes he gets upset mostly because he will waste gas going out to someone's place, only to find that they do not want to pay. My dad gives free estimates on all jobs, but it does tick him off when people do not want to pay the price he quotes them. He has had people that will haggle the price on him, not want to pay for the trash dumping, and when my dad gives them a fair price, they still complain about extra stuff they wanted done. I cannot speak for the others that do not show up/ do crappy work/only go when they want..but I can speak for the one's that do like my dad.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
Try when you spend weeks giving someone advice on how to repair equipment - spend over an hour on the phone w/them, and then when you price them some parts, they say you're "too high" - that they can "buy it on the internet" for $25 cheaper (on $500 worth of parts).

Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,331,095 times
That's true of a great many businesses competing against the Internet. One thing that will keep customers is good service. However, if you don't show up or even return the questioning phone call - you certainly don't have the chance to try to keep such a customer.

I also found that sometimes you get sucked into their psychodrama - they start and don't show again because Uncle Slobbo is in the slammer. Or the crazed boy friend shows up to harass the women help.

We had some guys once who were supposed to come at Noon, show up at 4:00 and then say they forgot the crucial tool. I was supposed to be intimidated by their 'rough attitude'. Anyway, told them there was a Home Depot around the block - go buy one. Then called the post and demanded he show to supervise or I'll sue him. He came, they glared (so scary) but the job got done.

Eventually we have found good plumbers and electricians. Roofer - ah - the ones we used were said to be reliable in 2002. Called them for a recent problem and the phone number was now some guy living by Sea World. Hi, dude. And they had full page ads in the Yellow Pages. The current no-shows are rated A+ by the BBB. Bah. Angie's said they were OK also.

It's a pain.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
It is - and as noted, it's a 2-way street. That's why I work by referral - 99% of the time, I greet a "friend of a friend", and it's a lot easier for everyone.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,673,809 times
The prevailing attitude can be summed up in one word: Mañana

Of course, mañana never comes.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:51 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,648,652 times
2-way street, indeed. Many people call a company and tell them they'll be home for a certain amount of time. Then the employee gets to the house within that time. No answer to repeated doorbell, knocking at door, etc., etc. Wasted time and gas. Happens all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio