Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:51 PM

181 posts, read 611,603 times

Advertisements

Sorry to post and run, we've been out of town this week. I think the heat is growing on us a bit and we've kept our house at about 80 during the days this week. We still cool it at night, 75 or so, but are hoping to install some fans this weekend. Our past bill was $225.

?, are any of your ac's taking longer to cool in the evenings now that the days are hotter? Our ac seemed like it cooled the house quickly however recently it's been taking a few hours to get the temperature down. The house stays around 80-81 and we're cooling to 75. Has anyone compared leaving the temp lower all day or raising/lowering? I'm going to need to look into that and *hope* our ac is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 PM

334 posts, read 915,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synch390 View Post
I've been really worried about what my bill will be since I've only been here since March. I just got my first bill where I THINK I had the AC on most of the month. I live in a 900sq ft apt. cathedral ceilings (does that make a diff??) the regular bill for electric has been about $40, this month it was $75. I keep it at about 80 during the day, but have been turning it down a bit at night, I was waking up really warm, I hate that. Today I am leaving the house open, we'll see what happens....

In my experience, it seems cathedral ceilings help a little on cooling bills, but hurt a lot for heating (all the hot air rises up where nobody can feel it, for both good and ill).

Old 06-26-2010, 07:59 AM

464 posts, read 804,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTexas View Post

?, are any of your ac's taking longer to cool in the evenings now that the days are hotter? Our ac seemed like it cooled the house quickly however recently it's been taking a few hours to get the temperature down. The house stays around 80-81 and we're cooling to 75. Has anyone compared leaving the temp lower all day or raising/lowering? I'm going to need to look into that and *hope* our ac is okay.
You may want to have a reputable HVAC company inspect your system to ensure it's operating properly and that the refrigerant levels are up to specs. Schedule this type of maintenance every Spring and Fall. The regular maintenance is money well spent, believe me!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,827 times
We just got our July bill for $255. We have a 3900 sq. ft. house and since we both work from home, one office on each floor, we always keep the temperature at 74-75 to feel comfortable. The $255 is actually low for the summer, we usually get into the mid-300s when temperatures are over 100 for an extended period of time like we had last year.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
We just got our July bill for $255. We have a 3900 sq. ft. house and since we both work from home, one office on each floor, we always keep the temperature at 74-75 to feel comfortable. The $255 is actually low for the summer, we usually get into the mid-300s when temperatures are over 100 for an extended period of time like we had last year.
How about trying ceiling fans and boosting the temperature to 77-78 degrees? That should lower your electric bill and put less stress on your A/C system.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,114 times
I keep at 78-80. Use fans in the rooms your'e in ...close vents to the rooms not in use, during the day keep it at 85 when your'e not home.
Sealing off, windows patio doors, and checking attic insulation of course is most helpful.
CPS will schedule a free energy check for home or apartment.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:06 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnstar2 View Post
I keep at 78-80. Use fans in the rooms you're in ...close vents to the rooms not in use, during the day keep it at 85 when you're not home.
Sealing off, windows patio doors, and checking attic insulation of course is most helpful.
CPS will schedule a free energy check for home or apartment.
Interesting reading about closing vents, especially too many (read both pages):

Do closing vents save power? - HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion

Old 06-27-2010, 04:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,605 times
here's another question...do ya'll turn the AC off when you go on vacation during the summer and how hot would the house get??

Old 06-27-2010, 04:47 PM

464 posts, read 804,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
here's another question...do ya'll turn the AC off when you go on vacation during the summer and how hot would the house get??
We program our thermostat to cool to *82 from 4pm to 8pm if we're away. That should alleviate some heat build-up. From 9pm to 3pm, the thermostat is set for *87.

Because our thermostat can be controlled over the Internet, I can check the weather in the San Antonio area and adjust it accordingly (e.g. cooler, rainy weather would mean I'd bump it up to *87).

Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
I was born in SA, used to visit the relatives there as a kid and now live about a hundred miles up 35. Their house had one window AC, in the dining room window so at night it was open windows and fans set up all over the place to keep the air moving. With the humid air it wasn't so bad.

I just purchased this 1950's house, about 1000sf with an installed HVAC about 4 years old. The insulation is original, the roof needs replacing. There's east side shade but on the west there's no shade until about 7 p.m. That west wall takes a beating from 3 p.m. til shade time. I'm on the corner lot so the south side is completely exposed all day.

Last year my AC high was $242 in July. The low was $47 in November but typically ran about $70 in non hot months. I'm sure my PC and flat panel TV are half of those low bills. The heating is gas.

Last week I received my recent electricity bill of $175. I've since installed solar screen on the south and west windows. I've also sealed around the window casings inside and out. Before I received that last bill there was a 95 degree day, my inside temp ran up towards 87. Right now my atomic clock temp read 96 outside and 83 inside. So, the solar screens and sealing have made a difference. But I noticed that once the house warms up it doesn't cool off until about 8 p.m.

I keep the thermostat at 82 daytime in the summer. The AC tends to run constantly from about 2 p.m. til 7 or 8 p.m. At bed time I set the thermo to 80 and the AC really doesn't run much. I have fans in every roon that run constantly when I'm awake. I have a ceiling fan over my bed that seems to keep the air cool overnight.

Next week I start tacking rolls of insulation on the eves and roof in the attic. All the above drives home the reality that older homes just weren't built for modern HVAC and require diligent modification to air flows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio