Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 PM

898 posts, read 2,894,412 times

Advertisements

did you all see this on kens 5? here is a link to the story. Stone Oak resident claims HOA harassment over porch gate to protect autistic son | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos I feel bad for her. I know how it feels to have not so nice neighbors. and the gate is way up on her porch. its not out on her grass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Is there any video that shows her home and the gate? I couldn't see it on the article page.

As a parent of a 5 year old w/autism who has problems with cause and effect as well--I feel terrible for her and I think it's horrible she's being harassed. But--I gotta see this "gate". I sure wouldn't expect that my HOA would let me put just anything up...and I'd probably ask my neighbors about it before I did it as well.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times
That is amazing. If she filed and waited the necessary time sounds like the HOA dropped the ball and that's their own fault. Haven't seen it but from the description it sounds simple in it's looks.
I find it offensive that neighbors would complain or make fun under these circumstances.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 PM

898 posts, read 2,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Is there any video that shows her home and the gate? I couldn't see it on the article page.

As a parent of a 5 year old w/autism who has problems with cause and effect as well--I feel terrible for her and I think it's horrible she's being harassed. But--I gotta see this "gate". I sure wouldn't expect that my HOA would let me put just anything up...and I'd probably ask my neighbors about it before I did it as well.
wait till you see it. it surrounds her front porch. its short, and white, and its got bushes covering most of it. maybe kens will show the clip at noon

Old 06-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
That is amazing. If she filed and waited the necessary time sounds like the HOA dropped the ball and that's their own fault.
Usually the standard boilerplate rule in town for architectural approval by HOAs is that if the HOA doesn't respond in 30 days, the application is considered approved. I suspect if she sued the HOA, she might win because of that.

It'll probably be cheaper for her to reach an agreement with the HOA that allows the gate to stay than to pay a lawyer to sue it.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Usually the standard boilerplate rule in town for architectural approval by HOAs is that if the HOA doesn't respond in 30 days, the application is considered approved. I suspect if she sued the HOA, she might win because of that.

It'll probably be cheaper for her to reach an agreement with the HOA that allows the gate to stay than to pay a lawyer to sue it.
If she settles with the HOA, she "might" get out of the $600 fine; BUT, she'll probably have to pay attorney fees and that could easily exceed the fine as this drags out. What do you want to bet the lawyer probably tacked on another hour for talking to the press.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 PM

314 posts, read 414,330 times
gated communitys i feel sometimes not worth it because they have these control issues a bed was being delivered in my community and the board
member would not give the guard permision to allow the funiture to come unless it was a serious matter since it was after five yeah a bed i guess i know who to complan to if i hurt my back!!! the guard let it in any way. also there have been lawsuits adout things that have been put up without permision which were not even seen from the front of house and the people in the community had to literally pay for it not cheap

Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,199 times
a porch gate?

a PORCH gate?

holy cow. i was watching that clip waiting for some monstrosity rod iron eye sore. i couldn't even tell what i was looking at. even when it was right there on the screen.

it seems pretty cut and dry to me. the hoa had its chance to reject it and dropped the ball.

am i not reading this article correctly? she hasn't heard back from the hoa EXCEPT letters from hoa members to get it removed/pay fines/threaten foreclosure? are these concerned hoa members able to get in contact with the decision makers she can't?

(slightly off topic anecdote about an hoa)

a good friend of mine lived in an hoa neighborhood. one day they got a letter saying that they were not allowed to paint their garage door two different colors. that they needed to fix it or face the consequences. they thought, what? we haven't painted out garage door, what are they talking about? when they went out to check they didn't see anything different about it. it took a day or two of wondering before they figured it out.

someone mistook the shadow cast my the roof as a different color on the garage door.

chrimminy!

hoa's make me wonder sometimes man...

Old 06-23-2010, 06:01 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times
lets not forget the HOA should have to legally consider the disability/reasons behind the gate. The rest of the world does, as they should.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:28 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Let's also not forget that they moved there agreeing to abide by the rules of the HOA. You can't have your cake and eat it too - regardless of motivation/reason, a denial is a denial. If the HOA failed to respond and the failure to respond results in a default approval, then fine. Otherwise, the HOA rules should be followed. THAT is why I refuse to live in an area "ruled" by an HOA - too many folks move into one and want to play "king" by getting on the board and dictating how others rule. That means I accept what others might do (by not living in one), but it also means that I can do as I wish as long as it meets city codes/restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio