Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:42 AM
JNA JNA started this thread

243 posts, read 735,039 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at several places to buy, mostly in the Stone Oak area and just north of. One community that we have looked at closely is Promontory Pointe. We've heard of the problems homeowners have had with Ryland at Live Oak. We'd be curious to know if anyone has input as to whether the problems are exclusive to that community. I'd greatly appreciate any input from people who have experience with Ryland, input about Ryland, especially if anyone has info about Promontory Pointe in Stone Oak.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
I hadn't heard anything like that about Ryland until the Live Oak situation. A decent majority are happy with their Ryland.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 17,402 times
I can see why you are concerned since you've already heard some negatives regarding that particular development. I have personally not heard anything. But, as someone who has just gone through the build a home with a spec builder thing...I would definitely suggest that you continue your homework. Go door to door in the neighborhood and ask lots of questions. Most homeowners will be happy to share their experiences with you. I would recommend you take a look at the BBB board and see if there are any complaints (specific to this builder and location). Another suggestion is to compare the various Ryland developments (sales people have an interesting habit of letting out negatives regarding other competitive developments) which could help with learning what type of questions to ask. Most importantly go with your gut, hire an inspector, and do what is best for your family.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:23 PM

85 posts, read 356,892 times
We just moved out of the subdivision next door to Promontory Pointe, Stone Valley. Some of our best friends live in a home in Promontory Point that they bought a few years ago. They are very happy with their home. We are going to dinner and the John Mayer concert with them tomorrow evening and I will ask them more specific questions and get back with you on Monday.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blonde View Post
We just moved out of the subdivision next door to Promontory Pointe, Stone Valley. Some of our best friends live in a home in Promontory Point that they bought a few years ago. They are very happy with their home. We are going to dinner and the John Mayer concert with them tomorrow evening and I will ask them more specific questions and get back with you on Monday.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Thanks for responding! If you could get some feedback, it would be very much appreciated. We've kind of narrowed it down to about 4 communities but there are so many things to weigh out between them. Two of our preferred ones are in Stone Oak and two in Canyon Springs.

The two in Stone Oak are in NEISD and the two in Canyon Springs are in Comal. Don't have kids at this time, but our plans to slow down, settle down and raise a family are a big reason for our move from CA. Besides, school districts can weigh heavily on home appreciation. I've heard good things about both school districts, but NEISD seems to have the strongest reputation out of the districts in San Antonio.

Ryland has a promotion ending this month, but we're leaning towards waiting until about Labor Day to give it some more thought.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM

My friends are very happy with their Ryland home. Also Promontory Pointe has an awesome view of San Antonio. In my opinion, one the best in the city.

As far as the Stone Oak/NEISD vs. Comal area I can give you a little insight about that. We lived in our house in the Stone Oak area for almost 7 years and the home we just built is in the Comal district. NEISD does have very good schools but the Bexar county taxes are very high. Comal county schools are very good as well. I really don't know much about their elementary and middle school since my daughter is going into 10th but they have wonderful high schools that rank as some of the best in the state. The taxes in Comal County are lower than in Bexar. Traffic is going to suck no matter where you live until all these roads get widened. But since you're from CA it's probably nothing like what you're used to anyway.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blonde View Post
My friends are very happy with their Ryland home. Also Promontory Pointe has an awesome view of San Antonio. In my opinion, one the best in the city.

As far as the Stone Oak/NEISD vs. Comal area I can give you a little insight about that. We lived in our house in the Stone Oak area for almost 7 years and the home we just built is in the Comal district. NEISD does have very good schools but the Bexar county taxes are very high. Comal county schools are very good as well. I really don't know much about their elementary and middle school since my daughter is going into 10th but they have wonderful high schools that rank as some of the best in the state. The taxes in Comal County are lower than in Bexar. Traffic is going to suck no matter where you live until all these roads get widened. But since you're from CA it's probably nothing like what you're used to anyway.
Thanks for all the feedback! If we can get downtown in less than an hour in rush hour, we'll be happy. It's tough picking out a place for a new home, especially when moving from out of state. We've been to San Antonio twice and really liked it. Right now we're between Promontory Pointe (Ryland/Stone Oak), Panther Creek (Medallion or McMillen/Stone Oak), and Lakeside at Canyon Springs (Pulte or Wilshire Homes/Canyon Springs). We're heading back on Labor Day weekend and making a final decision.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 AM

You shouldn't have a problem getting downtown in that time frame from any of those destinations. We ***** & moan when it takes 45 minutes. San Antonio is great place to live and raise a family and enjoy life. I'm sure you will be happy in any of the places you are looking at. Good luck in your move.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,421 times
I live in one of the communities in Canyon Springs. I say do the research with a lot more builders. I came from LA and the home that I moved in to "was" in "good" condition. Now I wish I did more research because this house is literally falling apart and Ryland is doing nothing about it.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM

693 posts, read 1,040,473 times
I recently retired from the Navy and am relocating from San Diego (rediculously expensive here). My husband and I are now under contract with Ryland at Promontory Pointe. We worked with an agent who says that Stone Oak is one of the more prominant areas of SA. Is this true? Although we were impressed with our neighborhood and the model home, we're starting to hear all the horror stories regarding Live Oak. Anyone Ryland home owners from Stone Oak willing to provide some good insight? Also, how long did it take for your house to be built? We signed in late April and they've just barely started building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio