Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:20 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
SA is a big city stuck in a small-town mentality and it shows. Many companies are not willing to pay decent salaries to attract the talents here.
TRUE!!! There's no culture of creative thinking, excellence, and hard work here either. If you're in the medical field then jobs will not be a problem. Everyone else had better hurry on to Houston. Even the schools aren't hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM

448 posts, read 919,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
TRUE!!! There's no culture of creative thinking, excellence, and hard work here either. If you're in the medical field then jobs will not be a problem. Everyone else had better hurry on to Houston. Even the schools aren't hiring.
Another inaccurate post. There's plenty of jobs in SA.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
Quote:
You have to look at the job market from the standpoint of what field you're in. For example, education, health, business, etc. So, no, in general there aren't "plenty" of jobs in San Antonio if you are in education and the schools are cutting staff.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 AM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Another inaccurate post. There are plenty of jobs if you aspire to answer phones for $10 per hour.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 AM

354 posts, read 712,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
You have to look at the job market from the standpoint of what field you're in. For example, education, health, business, etc. So, no, in general there aren't "plenty" of jobs in San Antonio if you are in education and the schools are cutting staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Another inaccurate post. There are plenty of jobs if you aspire to answer phones for $10 per hour.
I just got a teaching position offering app. 43,000/year. Jobs are there if you network and look for them.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
I just got a teaching position offering app. 43,000/year. Jobs are there if you network and look for them.
Your situation is an exception since you are in a recession-proof career field (education, health/medical).

Even then, competition is VERY TOUGH. Not long ago I posted a San Antonio Express News article on here showing how there were some 10,000 applicants for about 1 or 2 thousand open positions at an area school disctrict.

Truth be told, for many who do not have a degree in a recession-proof career field, it's MUCH more difficult to find a job!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:56 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
All 3 times I've been unemployed since I've graduated from college ('07 graduate) it took me about 4 months to find a job in the social service field. Like some have said you have to use your network and look at finding a job like a real job. Although, I think that's taking the thread in another direction, Rebecca was just asking what areas would be a good place to find a job in SA.

I think what I'm saying is that if you look and work your butt off you'll find a job in any industry. It may take a bit more time in more saturated pools of employment here in SA (like the aforementioned education, business, technology as oppossed to the medical field or costumer service), but the jobs are there.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:09 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Quote:
For real??? Where??? Awesome.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 PM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
TX teachers make an average of $41,744, which puts TX in the bottom third of the country. That's embarrassing when you consider how much property tax goes to education. Luckily, you're ahead of academic powerhouses like Alabama and Mississippi.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:13 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
Yeah, or consider flipping burgers as a career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio