Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 AM

51 posts, read 92,991 times

Advertisements

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/hybridbus.jpg (broken link)

I've been wondering about this for weeks now.

The picture above is the unveiling of the new hybrid buses VIA will be rolling out

Anyway, I first started seeing VIA buses that were all grey and it puzzled me, then I started seeing the same grey buses only with colored "swooshes" at the the bottom. Sometimes a lite greenish color like the one in the picture and sometime's a dark moronish color.

I ask because the article from where I got that picture states those buses would begin running on Monday, yesterday, and they'll on the Express routes. The times i've seen the buses I mentioned before has been way before yesterday and on inner city streets on express routes which use the freeway.

Anyhow, anyone know anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:47 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
VIA Metropolitan Transit - Communications

There's two types: the diesel electric hybrid and the natural gas one. They're nice; really like them instead of the buses with the ads!

To answer your question, the older ones are the natural gas ones. I believe it says it on the back of the bus.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Yup those are for the "Express" bus routes only (at least for now).

I saw them last week around downtown.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
That's HOT! I took the VIA when I used to live in SA. I am currently here for a month and still take it but I like the new one alot better!! That's just what San Antonio needs to boost it's economy. So many people would want to take it now. It's too bad I'm not going to be living here to experience it. Sucks. I've always complained about how boring, old, and smelly the VIA was. Now it's all renovated and I won't be here to take it.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Via changed directors a couple of years ago. I have assumed that the new color schemes on buses are the new director putting his stamp on things.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 PM

I like the new look and color scheme of the buses, i'm tired of everything being some variation of "fiesta" colors.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 PM

FYI, the buses I saw didn't have Express written on the side of them like these will, so I'd assume they weren't the express buses. Also, I saw them off SE Military Dr., Gevers, etc. Not near or in Downtown.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 AM

385 posts, read 626,534 times
I wish they would have kept them solid gray but more important than that is that they are more fuel efficient and less environmentally damaging buses! Woohoo to that. SA is making progress in a lot of different ways and it's a great thing.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 AM

385 posts, read 626,534 times
"The new buses are powered by diesel-electric hybrid technology, and they are equipped with added amenities, including reclining seat backs, overhead storage, individual lighting, and free high-speed wireless internet connections. " - from Via's press release. Nice!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromansa View Post
FYI, the buses I saw didn't have Express written on the side of them like these will, so I'd assume they weren't the express buses.
Express routes have never had express "written" on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromansa View Post
Also, I saw them off SE Military Dr., Gevers, etc. Not near or in Downtown.

<< At that link it reads, "Do you ride VIA's express routes? Keep your eye out for the new hybrid buses."

and

http://viainfo.net/Communications/Vi...ArticleId=1558

<< The media release states, "The 30 hybrid buses are being put into service on VIA’s express routes to serve daily commuters across the city."

Doesn't say anything about regular routes. Maybe they were "trying" them out on the city streets?

Last edited by xsa210tx; 08-04-2010 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio