Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 PM

948 posts, read 1,842,281 times

Advertisements

on my street, there are two houses, one on each side of me, that have little "apartments" on their property that the owners rent out. if i'm not mistaken, this neighborhood is zoned for single family homes. we pay a lot of money to live in this area and it's almost not fair that these people get to have help paying their mortgages. is there anything we can do about this? anyone we can report this to? also, there was one family who wanted to build a duplex on a lot caddy corner to mine. we all signed a petition and wrote letters and killed those plans. now it looks like they've just built a really big house, with one entrance so it doesn't look like a duplex but there are two driveways and 5-6 crappy cars outside this house. that really bothers me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Are you worried that it's "not fair" that they've got help with their mortgage? Or that it's hurting your values?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:46 PM

Both. I guess I could have worded it better but yeah, both for sure.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM

220 posts, read 454,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
on my street, there are two houses, one on each side of me, that have little "apartments" on their property that the owners rent out. if i'm not mistaken, this neighborhood is zoned for single family homes. we pay a lot of money to live in this area and it's almost not fair that these people get to have help paying their mortgages. is there anything we can do about this? anyone we can report this to? also, there was one family who wanted to build a duplex on a lot caddy corner to mine. we all signed a petition and wrote letters and killed those plans. now it looks like they've just built a really big house, with one entrance so it doesn't look like a duplex but there are two driveways and 5-6 crappy cars outside this house. that really bothers me.
LOL, you are what is wrong with this country. I guess you would be happier if the homes were foreclosed on and you had homeless squatters around you.

IMO as long as someone isnt violating the rights of others they should be able to do whatever they want on their own property. I would also never live anywhere with a HOA.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-rent-out.html

I read somewhere that city ordinance prohibits more than five unrelated people living together in a single-family home.
You might want to check here:
Planning & Development Services Department

http://www.sanantonio.gov/dsd/zoning.asp

Old 08-31-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John26 View Post
LOL, you are what is wrong with this country. I guess you would be happier if the homes were foreclosed on and you had homeless squatters around you.

IMO as long as someone isnt violating the rights of others they should be able to do whatever they want on their own property. I would also never live anywhere with a HOA.
Yeah ok..."I" am what is wrong with this country. All the wars, the drugs, the financial trouble, the economy....it's all MY fault. Yeah, if they were foreclosed, I would be happy.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:11 PM

413 posts, read 741,999 times
Call the IRS. Guaranteed they are not reporting the income. That will put an end to the renting for sure.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
CoSA's website: https://gis.sanantonio.gov/PDS/onestop/index.html. You can check the zoning designation here. If it has a designation of "R", its single family residential only.

But there's a chance the properties could be "non-conforming", which means they were operating under one zoning designation, and then the city changed it. But non-conforming properties are allowed to operate under their non-conforming use (sorta like vested rights). If that's the case, there's not much you can do.

Also, if they exist, check your neighborhood deed restrictions. They will often prohibit this sort of thing. Of course, to enforce that, you have to file an action in civil court.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:01 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
If you call up code compliance they'll first look up the address while you wait to see what it actually is. If there is a zoning violation they'll give you the name of one of the higherups in the correct part of town who you will call and they'll assign a case to someone that goes out and follows up these sort of things. Easy process - the hardest part is catching one of the higherups when they're at the office.

HTH.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 PM

220 posts, read 454,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
Yeah ok..."I" am what is wrong with this country. All the wars, the drugs, the financial trouble, the economy....it's all MY fault. Yeah, if they were foreclosed, I would be happy.
Most of those problems are a byproduct of individuals who want to control how others live. Excessive government involvement in all aspects of our lives is what is wrong in this country at the moment.

Have you even talked to your neighbors about any of your concerns, or is your first instinct to call the man on them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio