Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:31 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,168 times

Advertisements

Well I think there are more than 3-5 schools you can find to sub at. That alone though would give you more than two days a week. When I first started subbing I pretty much worked every day.

As for the teacher who didnt send an eval, thought of calling her back? Honestly if she is deciding between working on a students ARD or your eval the ARD wins. That's nothing personal it's just that the state law requires said teacher to comply with deadlines.

You keep asking "what else do we get as subs for doing a good job" to me it seems like you are not happy with the pay. Still stand by what I said.

Um noone should show up to work hungover. Especially when working with children. Especially if they have special needs. There is NO excuse for it.

It's been a while since I looked but NISD used to have a whole section online for their subs for classroom management. You might check to see if it is still there.

Have no clue who is paying $120 day for subs ..perhaps that is a district you want to apply with.

I can tell you for example Alamo Heights ISD gets more money from the state than NISD does. Believe me NISD higher ups have gone to fight this losing battle. Its not about anyone at the schools being corrupt. Take that up with the state and I wish you the best of luck. If you can get them to fix that I am sure Dr. Folks himself would like to congratulate you.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM

78 posts, read 150,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Well I think there are more than 3-5 schools you can find to sub at. That alone though would give you more than two days a week. When I first started subbing I pretty much worked every day.

As for the teacher who didnt send an eval, thought of calling her back? Honestly if she is deciding between working on a students ARD or your eval the ARD wins. That's nothing personal it's just that the state law requires said teacher to comply with deadlines.

You keep asking "what else do we get as subs for doing a good job" to me it seems like you are not happy with the pay. Still stand by what I said.

Um noone should show up to work hungover. Especially when working with children. Especially if they have special needs. There is NO excuse for it.

It's been a while since I looked but NISD used to have a whole section online for their subs for classroom management. You might check to see if it is still there.

Have no clue who is paying $120 day for subs ..perhaps that is a district you want to apply with.

I can tell you for example Alamo Heights ISD gets more money from the state than NISD does. Believe me NISD higher ups have gone to fight this losing battle. Its not about anyone at the schools being corrupt. Take that up with the state and I wish you the best of luck. If you can get them to fix that I am sure Dr. Folks himself would like to congratulate you.
A new sub would most likely possibly would want to work 4-5 days a week, regardless of location or quality of school. Be a go-getter. Excited about the prospects. An experienced sub might not to so much, especially in less favorable locations, i.e., the "tough schools", but maybe others yes. Whatever.

Didn't bother calling back teacher owing to being likely a waste of time. Maybe it would come through, maybe not. Not worth the bother in my experience...if someone can't keep their word, when someone else can, forget it. I'm mature enough to understand already people are and can be very busy. Who isn't busy? Who cares if the teacher is working on an ARD or whatever? You know what they say about excuses???I hardly know these people and vice versa.

I never said "I wish I were being paid 110 instead of 80, for this carppy sub job"...all i said is that the pay doesn't buy much in this economy, which to me translates to eating cheap and no partying..Or work a higher paying job . You Mamo might be a little too judgmental into what you're reading into, because for me it's more about the respect thing..It's open to interpretation, but you'll need to agree to disagree.

USD 120 was another state, not CA or NY or FL...it was an overrated Charter School w/o good chance to come in EVERY day or most days even.

I don't really care for AH or NISD, I'm sure there are fine schools and fine students in that district, but I'm quite sure that the latter allows subs with less than a college degree to be eligible to work, which is how you'll likely find subs perhaps unmotivated, yelling at students, not "good" subs, or hungover, for example but hopefully not over the legal limit for legal/law purposes for his/her sake. And I certainly won't waste time helping to locate "good" subs for anyone. Cheers!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,168 times
noone is asking you to locate good subs.....it was asked what is looked for and I mentioned a few ideas.
Not written in stone. Just experiences.

The pay isn't great. But again, one has a choice and knows that going in. If the pay is going to put them in a crappy mood then don't take the job. Get a different one. Doesn't seem difficult to understand to me.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 PM

78 posts, read 150,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
...I can tell you for example Alamo Heights ISD gets more money from the state than NISD does. Believe me NISD higher ups have gone to fight this losing battle. Its not about anyone at the schools being corrupt. Take that up .....
maybe not in matters with finances, but in other areas I'm not convinced, ok. Of course not every school adm is corrupt, but if you look a lil' bit it isn't hard to locate. You'll be very hard pressed to say otherwise.Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 10-26-2010 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,206,827 times
Those "good" subs are out there. They are subbing because they enjoy being around the kids. They are not doing it because they lost their job and couldn't find anything else to do so they settled for subbing until they get a permanent job.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 10-26-2010 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were referring to was deleted

Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,029 times
Quote:
Yes, however I also actually I mentioned to know why some schools pay 75 and others 120 a day, I was looking for an educated answer, and NOT, the uh, well, the officials aren't corrupt song and dance. I was looking for a little more common sense...but maybe asking too much from some people here. something along the lines that some school dists offer more pay because it is an indirect way to admit "hey, we know our schools suck, so dangit, we gotta jack up the pay" to get those subs to work here...anyone that disagrees with this is sadly mistaken. So, at least while those such said schools suck, at least they have the b@lls more or less to admit why that it so.
Which school districts are you referring to? The two largest ones here, NEISD and NISD have posted pay scales on their websites and they do not seem to differ that much.

http://www.nisd.net/hr/substitutes/docs/Substitute_Teacher_Application_Instructions.pdf (broken link)

North East Independent School District

SAISD pays more, but only for retired teachers in critical areas. If there is a shortage of qualified math, science, special ed, bilingual ed (this is what SAISD lists), or if it is difficult to get the subs to come to their school district, preferring instead, to sub on the northside as opposed to the SAISD district. So, if you are a retired teacher and you sub in Math on Monday, you would get $100, but if you sub in English on Tuesday, you get $85. I would conclude that they are paying more to the retired math teacher because they need math teachers and are willing to reward the retiree with a higher salary because of their experience.

Human Resources Department, SAISD - Substitute & Part-time Positions (http://www.saisd.net/dept/humanresources/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid =1 - broken link)

Old 10-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Some posts above were deleted. The following section of TOS is posted as a warning for the thread.

Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
The thread will remain closed for a bit to let it cool off, while the mod team ponders whether it can stay on topic and return to being helpful to posters seeking answers to the questions in the original post if reopened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio