Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,138,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrie1013 View Post
What I don't understand is why one of your criteria is based on a political point of view. When looking for houses in the past, not ONCE did I ever tell a Realtor that I was looking for a Liberal/Conservative/Independent neighborhood...if those even exist.

I'm sorry, but I feel comfortable living near anyone- even if they have different political ideas than I do. I feel that if you only want to be friends/associate with people that only think the same way you do, then you are not educating yourself on what else could possibly be Moderator cut: off-topic/personal.

That's my 2 cents....for what it's worth.
Maybe the OP had a bad experience elsewhere or is coming from somewhere where the city is segregated by political views. I'm not familiar with their past locations as mentioned in the 1st post but just my guess.

Last edited by Bo; 10-20-2010 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 PM

18,142 posts, read 25,337,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrie1013 View Post
I'm sorry, but I feel comfortable living near anyone- even if they have different political ideas than I do. I feel that if you only want to be friends/associate with people that only think the same way you do, then you are not educating yourself on what else could possibly be Moderator cut: off-topic/personal.

That's my 2 cents....for what it's worth.
In a perfect World where there's no political hate.... I would agree with you.

But sadly, there's many areas in "fly-over country" where people have a sick hate against anybody that thinks politically different than they do.
Do a search for "Bill Sparkman" so you'll see the type of crazy people that live there.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,055,894 times
I just want to live in a neighborhood where I am not inundated with superfluous television commercials about how White/Perry/Canseco/Ciro and whoever the hell else is evil incarnate. Good grief, I hate this time of election year. It's IDIOTIC. All politicians are worthless, it doesn't matter who they are. Holy crack pipe.....

Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 PM

18,142 posts, read 25,337,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I just want to live in a neighborhood where I am not inundated with superfluous television commercials about how White/Perry/Canseco/Ciro and whoever the hell else is evil incarnate. Good grief, I hate this time of election year. It's IDIOTIC. All politicians are worthless, it doesn't matter who they are. Holy crack pipe.....
That's about as bad as what happened to me today.
At work we have a gym and a TV, I was the only one there so I put it on Channel 5 (news at noon).
Some guy shows up at 12:20 and ask me if he could change it "because soap operas are about to start"
I was polite, even though they were showing the weather and there was still 10 minutes of news left .....
he changed it to Foxnews and cranked up the volume.

I don't mind people having things outside,
I can't stand the people that crank up their TV channel or radio station as if everybody in the World thinks like them.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,138,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
At work we have a gym and a TV, I was the only one there so I put it on Channel 5 (news at noon).
Some guy shows up at 12:20 and ask me if he could change it "because soap operas are about to start"
I was polite, even though they were showing the weather and there was still 10 minutes of news left .....
he changed it to Foxnews and cranked up the volume.

I don't mind people having things outside,
I can't stand the people that crank up their TV channel or radio station as if everybody in the World thinks like them.
Your work needs those work out stations that have individual tvs. I went to UTSA for a minute and they had those at the fitness center; it was awesome!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,714,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Ha! I once heard a guy say: "All politicians lie, cheat, and steal.....but the thing is what YOU need to do is vote for the politician that's gonna lie, cheat, and steal FOR YOU!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Oh, man.......

Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,494,114 times
I don't even put political stickers on my car because I'm afraid of it being vandalized in my neighborhood. Everyone around me has stickers supporting the other side and some have them along with Confederate flags. I know they say it's about southern pride and blah, blah, blah; but it still makes me feel uncomfortable.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:35 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,714,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I don't even put political stickers on my car because I'm afraid of it being vandalized in my neighborhood. Everyone around me has stickers supporting the other side and some have them along with Confederate flags. I know they say it's about southern pride and blah, blah, blah; but it still makes me feel uncomfortable.
Perfectly understandable.....I myself have no stickers on my truck at all either.....though admittedly I have recently finally been considering maybe slapping a rock band sticker on or something, ha.......

Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,857,641 times
I put on stickers that really "speak" to my thoughts. I may not agree w/the sticker next to me, but to damage the vehicle because of those stickers is, in my mind, a particularly vile act against 1st Amendment rights. Now, I ain't talking about stickers w/profanity - in my mind, those step over the line - but as a gun-totin', bible-believin' veteran that loves his country and those that inhabit it (speaking in generalizations), I also RESPECT my countrymen and their right to THEIR free speech. I might even use one of their stickers as a reason to say something to 'em - but ANYone that damages the sticker and/or the vehicle in my sight WILL see a squad car ASAP.
Funny - I've never seen the kind of vandalism as you describe occur, and I see the kinds of stickers you describe all over the place on a routine basis - so I'm wondering how much of what you describe is paranoia, or perhaps based on "a guy I know...." Not intended as a shot at anyone - but sometimes we all let our fears direct our lives.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,494,114 times
I never said I witnessed or experienced any vandalism. I don't know where you're getting that from. Where I live, 95% of the time (just estimating) I see stickers from the same ideology. It's not surprising, we've had the same U.S. representative in that area since the year I was born. I don't remember any vandalism of that nature happening in San Antonio during the 2008 elections, but it happened in other places. Some of the political and social conversations I either overhear or people engage me in also make me uncomfortable. I don't mind people discussing beliefs I don't agree with, it only makes me uncomfortable when I hear hate speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio