Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times

Advertisements

He could have at least told you he was changing his number and residence if he wants his rent payments. If the property is going into foreclosure, you're protected. I don't know what happens if he's just selling the property, but he's obviously violating the lease contract in that case. Doesn't your lease say something about repairs? If you can't contact him, he's already violating the contract right there. How long ago did you try to contact him? Maybe he'll send you updated information in the mail or call you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 06:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Harmann View Post
See, that's the thing. I don't know if he's abandoned the property! The deed is still in his name, so I would figure that legally he's responsible. The not knowing is frustrating. I'm waiting to hear back from my lawyer friend. This thing is so strange. He was a really good landlord, and would always tell us what great tenants we are and how he didn't want us to move. So, this seems really strange.
Check the obits. Maybe he passed away and his family quickly sold his main residence?

Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 AM

93 posts, read 197,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
How long ago did you try to contact him? Maybe he'll send you updated information in the mail or call you.
Yesterday. We had some water leaking out of our water heater and I was calling him to tell him about it. It did the same thing 2 months ago and he came immediately and replaced the gasket. Then after I found out his cell phone (the only number I had for him) was disconnected, I looked up his home phone. When that was disconnected, I drove to his house. Saw the padlock on the door and came home to look up whether the house was sold or not. It was. I feel strange about just up and moving somewhere else and leaving our rent house abandoned if I can't find him, but I don't know what my other course of action is, other than to stay in the house, stick our rent in savings every month and document every repair that we do.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
No landlord? Well it looks like you sir are the owner of a house now!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
No landlord? Well it looks like you sir are the owner of a house now!
I don't know about ownership, because legally the deed is still in his name, as far as I can tell....I wouldn't mind owning this house, I guess, especially if the price is 0, because that's all we could afford to purchase a house! As a buddy of mine said last night, possession is 9/10 of the law!!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:48 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times
Not even close, bud - and I think ya already know that! Thing to do is to have the rent money in a saved, dedicated account specifically for the rent. Send a certified letter, return receipt requested to his last known address asking what is going on, because you have needed repairs and have been unable to contact him.
AND TALK TO A LAWYER ASAP. Not one of the ones that blast the airwaves - ask around your friends for a good lawyer. If you can't find one, holler - I have one I've used for over 20 years now that I trust, and he's always treated folks fairly.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Not even close, bud - and I think ya already know that! Thing to do is to have the rent money in a saved, dedicated account specifically for the rent. Send a certified letter, return receipt requested to his last known address asking what is going on, because you have needed repairs and have been unable to contact him.
AND TALK TO A LAWYER ASAP. Not one of the ones that blast the airwaves - ask around your friends for a good lawyer. If you can't find one, holler - I have one I've used for over 20 years now that I trust, and he's always treated folks fairly.
Of course I know that! I had thought about the certified letter, return receipt to legally document everything. There is a member of the church I'm at who is a lawyer who has done some real estate law, so I've e-mailed him some questions. Just waiting to hear back from him, otherwise I will try to catch him tomorrow. Otherwise, that's our plan is to stick the money in savings and wait....although $850 would sure go nice toward paying off some debts, I can't. At least until we find the landlord and/or some answers.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:30 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,843,109 times
You'll be doing the right thing by sending the certified letter to him and when it can't be delivered it will come right back to you. As you said you will save all documentation such as the certified letter, sales slips, invoices (for any work you have done) Yes, I too would put the rent money into your savings but don't dip into just in case.......

Later on today visit the Bexar Appraisal Website and key in your address or even his last name. Your residence will pop up and you can check on the status of the property. *When the property comes up be sure to Expand All and look at the Deed Transactions. Please keep in mind that their information is not always current so you might want to go to the Bexar County Clerk's site as suggested previously.

Good Luck!!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Later on today visit the Bexar Appraisal Website and key in your address or even his last name. Your residence will pop up and you can check on the status of the property. *When the property comes up be sure to Expand All and look at the Deed Transactions. Please keep in mind that their information is not always current so you might want to go to the Bexar County Clerk's site as suggested previously.

Good Luck!!
I checked both sites and everything on the Appraisal site, including his residence is in his name. On the County Clerk's site, there is record of his sale, but nothing relating to our rental property.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:16 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Post "Wanted" posters in their old neighborhood. Not only can you get creative with this, but people who live nearby and know where he went may call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio