Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times

Advertisements

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/..._fb_bestplaces

Quote:
USAA worked with Military.com to develop this first-of-its-kind ranking that recognizes the best places in the nation for military men and women to reside after retiring from their first career with the armed forces and beginning their second career as a civilian. The rankings are a resource to help military retirees find locales offering a high quality of life while making the most of military retiree benefits.
San Antonio is ranked #2 after Oklahoma City under the "Military Metros" tab of "Additional Best Places Rankings by Category"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
#2 among military metros
"Military metros are areas with more than 5,000 active duty personnel stationed within the metro area."

But #8 among large cities, Austin is #2

Old 12-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
#2 among military metros
"Military metros are areas with more than 5,000 active duty personnel stationed within the metro area."

But #8 among large cities, Austin is #2
Which ranking matters more probably depends on what the retiree is looking for. Many I've known like to go on base to take advantage of discount shopping. AFAIK, there are no PXes in Austin.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:03 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Which ranking matters more probably depends on what the retiree is looking for. Many I've known like to go on base to take advantage of discount shopping. AFAIK, there are no PXes in Austin.
There is a mid-sized exchange on Camp Mabry, but it's not nearly as large as the ones on Lackland, Randolph or Ft Sam.

But I would say that study got it wrong, I would put SA over OKC in terms of retiree opportunities. It all depends on their definition of "retired," if they mean "retired retired" (as in the play golf all day), then maybe; but if your a "second career retiree" like myself (retired from the military but still working), I think SA offers a lot more. For one, the job market with the three main bases here and the soon-to-be-opening NSA facility mean there are a lot of government and contracting positions available. Outside of the Washington-Baltimore corridor, I don't think there is anyplace that has more than San Antonio.

Secondly, the cost of living makes your retirement pay go pretty far in SA. It isn't enough to "live on" if you have kids and "rich tastes;" but for most folks it is a healthy part of their overall income. Sure, salaries may be lower than in the DC area; but so are houses and everything else and overall I would say the "comfort level" is pretty high for retirees.

Lastly, for the time being we have to huge military medical facilities at BAMC and WHMC. Yes, the latter will be "downsized" to an "über-clinic" in a few years; but even then it will still have a lot of services available. Plus there is a clinic at Camp Bullis, as well as the Audie Murphy VA Medical Center.

I researched this pretty thoroughly when I came close to retirement, and found that all factors put San Antonio at the top of the list for places to live. Add in the great weather, people and things to do in this area; as well as the beauty of the Hill Country, and there really wasn't much competition.

I know this was posted as a compliment to SA, but I still think they sold the city short by ranking it #2. It really deserves to be at the top of the list!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM

15 posts, read 43,663 times
well i guess i should quit complaining that my husbands AF career has only taken us to SA and OKC (and back....and back....) and now that we will probably be stuck w/ our P.O.S. Medallion Home, we may *have* to retire in SA

Old 12-08-2010, 01:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
OKC??? Wow. Didn't see that one coming.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,526 times
Well, didn't know that about OKC.My dad was stationed at Security Service at Kelly AFB back in the 1950s and 60s. Then we went to Elmendorf in Alaska and then he was at NSA at Fort Meade, Maryland.They begged him to stay, but he said he was tired of the spy game and wanted to retire and not on the East Coast.To him there were too many people and it was dirty,etc.You wouldn't belive all the trash people dumped on the back roads around there .
So he put in for Randolph AFB near San Antonio and retired from there in 1975 after 33 years in the AirForce.To my parents San Antonio felt like home, and they didn't want in old age to deal with milwaukee or Buffalo winters,Buffalo,NY being where they met. The area has a lot to offer and i still live here,though both are gone now. I think San Antonio has a lot more to offer that OKC.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 10,252 times
Was surprised at Ok. as well. BAMC is expanding, and I expect a lot of patients to be funneled there instead of Walter Reed. Agree that lower cost of living and overall tax burden makes Texas a great retirement area.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:24 PM

177 posts, read 357,986 times
I'm not surprised at all by OKC being ranked high. Our kids chose to go to college and stay in OK for their careers. OKC is much cleaner with a smaller version of the Riverwalk called Bricktown which is spotless and much safer. They are building lofts and new restaurants there all the time. You have four seasons, a fantastic and clean airport, Tinker AFB for military support, way lower property taxes, and all the basic shopping malls/department stores. The community college is excellent, not to mention OU, UCO, and even OSU not far away. Edmond and Guthrie are two wonderful alternatives to living right in OKC.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:04 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
^Agreed, but dang the wind...way too windy up there. Also, quite cold (which I don't mind).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio