Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!

I have been staring at my brown grass and already can't wait for our SA spring weather to move on in. I want to start gardening and fertilizing, my green thumb is itching but when does everyone start? More specifically what month or is it after the first bit of consistent nice warm weather?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Mid-February is usually safe. We're supposed to be colder than normal this winter, so it might not be.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,073 times
Fall and Spring planting guides can be found at

Texas AgriLife Extension Service, Bexar County's Best Plants (http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F4Best/BexarBestindex.htm - broken link)

You can also check out

Aggie Horticulture

for a lot of information.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Thank you Bo and Chud! Much appreciated!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
For vegetable gardening, I've always trusted the mesquite trees. When you start seeing green on the trees, no more freezing weather.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:38 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,220 times
It depends on what kind of gardening you want to do. I've got 75 tomato seeds in seed cells with around 60 of them up. I'll probably be putting them in the green house in about a week. They will go in the ground about mid to late March. This winter one thing you need to do is lawn watering from time to time. Especially around the house foundation. I would also water any beds that you want to work in the spring. At least enough to keep the earthworms alive. Save all of your leaves for mulch. You'll probably need them this summer.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
I'm the same way! It's like, all right, all right, move along, nothing to see here. Christmas is over. Can I plant now? lololol

Already have projects and vacation plans all tucked away in my noggin.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
It depends on what kind of gardening you want to do. I've got 75 tomato seeds in seed cells with around 60 of them up. I'll probably be putting them in the green house in about a week. They will go in the ground about mid to late March. This winter one thing you need to do is lawn watering from time to time. Especially around the house foundation. I would also water any beds that you want to work in the spring. At least enough to keep the earthworms alive. Save all of your leaves for mulch. You'll probably need them this summer.
Thank you so much Snappy Bob! Its just perinneals, annuals, some trees I am interested in planting expecially in the backyard. Also I have a bed in the front that I want to do up. I definitely want to get my green thumb on vegetable gardening since the prices of vegetables at any market is horrific but I am scared.

As for the lawn, we water once a week all of it. Is that sufficient especially for the foundation?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'm the same way! It's like, all right, all right, move along, nothing to see here. Christmas is over. Can I plant now? lololol

Already have projects and vacation plans all tucked away in my noggin.

Mom2Feebs completely understand! I have so many ideas and I need to put it on paper. I bought the Texas Gardening Book but it really didn't say when to start planting and I am itching to get my fingers into the ground!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM

437 posts, read 902,609 times
I garden year-round. Right now we're eating our own cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, lettuce, spinach, collard greens, mustard greens, cilantro... I'm waiting on cabbage and leek. It's all straight from the garden - no green house here. We're downtown SA, though. If you're out near Boerne it's probably trickier. I'd recommend not planting vegetables before mid March and being ready to cover up your seedlings if a front moves through (as they usually do). Winter's a good time for maintenance and perhaps prep work in the garden. If you're going to build raised beds, for example, you could do that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio