Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:01 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,542,251 times

Advertisements

you are not alone. When mine was younger I did not allow him to play outside by himself or walk to a friends house on his own.

We are approaching high school so things are different now obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:48 PM

679 posts, read 1,803,163 times
Yup, mine play outside alone, including the 4 year old. They know the rules and would never run into the street or wander off. But we don't live in the big city, either, although we do get a fair amount of traffic. You gotta do what's right for you, but damn -- you don't know what you're missing! I get so much done while they're out there playing. :P

Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,558,454 times
We have a corner lot, large fenced yard but entire yard is exposed.

My 4.5 yr old plays outside all the time. Usually it's on the side where I can see from the window (it's a double lot). She and the neighbor kids go back and forth between houses/yards. My only rule is that she not go out onto the street and stay within earshot (and answer when I call). I check on her frequently. Now she's made friends with the kids across the street, I let her play on that side of the house but check pretty often and she still has the rule not the cross the street.

Can't imagine keeping her locked up. We have a great neighborhood, lots of kids and adults who look out for the kids. My only realy worry is her runningout into the street, and we've put the fear into her enough I think she's not going to do that.

We live downtown.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
Do you all live in a war zone or a ghetto? Or do you just watch too much "scary" TV?

Poor kids.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,294,124 times
Actually I do live in a rough area.

I think it depends on your neighborhood, your neighbors, and your comfort level. I am not comfortable letting my kids play outside in the front where cars fly down the street and other kids' parents aren't monitoring them at all. I don't trust anyone.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,558,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Actually I do live in a rough area.

I think it depends on your neighborhood, your neighbors, and your comfort level. I am not comfortable letting my kids play outside in the front where cars fly down the street and other kids' parents aren't monitoring them at all. I don't trust anyone.

I wouldn't if I didn't have a fence, and when she was younger I didn't let her out at all. But now she understands not to go outside the fence. My biggest concern is cars, not someone snatching her.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Do you all live in a war zone or a ghetto? Or do you just watch too much "scary" TV?

Poor kids.
No,
we just don't want to have to make another baby to replace our kids.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
If you live in a "rough" area, I really do feel for you and you are doing the right thing.

If you live in a suburb or a generally safe area, and you are just paranoid, that is a different story.

You don't see kids playing outside anymore and that is a shame.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You don't see kids playing outside anymore and that is a shame.
But then when kids play outside in the street (not enough parks) people are complaining.
It really seems like San Antonio is lacking a lot when it comes to parks for kids. Especially in the suburbs.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:41 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,040,309 times
I drove by ?Maverick Park? I think it is, just off Bandera/Guilbeau last Sunday when it was still warm, and that place was packed. People DO take their kids to the park to play, and we actually have a decent amount of parks. Just up the road from that park is OP Schnabel.

There is also a park on Huebner and I can't think of the name, but it's ALWAYS packed, no matter the season. Summers are crazy there. Kids do get to play outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio