Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 AM

19 posts, read 50,504 times

Advertisements

How much opportunity is available for a teacher moving to the San Antonio area? What are the best areas for teaching. I am a high school teacher and I am certified in the area of mathemcatics. I am open to lving in any part of the city (unless you inform me differently).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...light=teaching

Things are tough right now; see previous thread on a related question above.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I would really caution against anyone looking for work that relies on any type of state funding to rethink looking for this type of job in San Antonio. Those threads are just a bit of an indication as to the state of the state's budget's crisis. We're surely going to see more cuts in other areas such as mental health, early education and child welfare once the state gets their hand on the budget. To bring the thread back on topic (to a local stand point), local districts and agencies are trying to counteract the foreseen budget shortfall by cutting and freezing jobs.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:55 PM

796 posts, read 1,842,617 times
The state budget cuts are affecting every single school district here....most, if not all, of them have hiring freezes in place...some are even letting probationary teachers (up to 3rd yeard teachers) go.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 PM

41 posts, read 97,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang33 View Post
How much opportunity is available for a teacher moving to the San Antonio area? What are the best areas for teaching. I am a high school teacher and I am certified in the area of mathemcatics. I am open to lving in any part of the city (unless you inform me differently).
It would be a bad idea to relocate here until you have a teaching job in hand. I am fairly new to SA and I was surprised by media reports that even the wealthier ISDs are laying off teachers.

I don't know how much legislature vs schools posturing is 'normal' in Texas around budget time; but the reports of layoffs (not just loss by attrition) can be corroborated to an extent I have never seen in other large cities where I've lived.

Good luck - math and science teachers ARE our future.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
My roommate is a Middle School Special Ed teacher and fears for her job.

As others have stated, this is probably not the time nor place to do that, unfortunately.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,058 times
slightly off topic, but our supposedly great mayor and governor are admitting that education is a problem, and that it needs to be a large focus for the community over the next few years.

so let's start by laying off educators!

now i'm no rocket scientist, but something seems horribly wrong with that formula.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
It's the national economy is bad almost everywhere not just Texas or San Antonio. We're in Raleigh and they slashed jobs starting LAST year. Unfortunately teachers seem to be affected quickly whenever there is a downturn in the state or national financial situation. If you HAVE a job somewhere I would recommend staying there as Texas is in better financial position then many states and look what's happening to teaching jobs.

As to the SA districts just count yourself lucky that your kids aren't bussed all over the county, you aren't facing becoming unaccredited, and the NAACP hasn't filed suit against your district...Can't wait for my son to be back in NEISD next week.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM

19 posts, read 50,504 times
Wow, I did know that the situation was a little bleak but from your responses I am very shell shocked. I thought that all districts needed math and science teachers but I am guessing that most districts are either freezing their hiring or laying off the probationary teachers. Neither are good signs.
Any positive news lately?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
Positive news? Maybe you should replace that cutesy smiling face next to the thread title with a frowning face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio