Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:50 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
I'm totally "with" you....sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go ahead and get 'er done!! Good exercise though.... The sod we laid last week, believe it or not, with consistent watering is looking like it's taking hold. Ours was Bermuda BTW.
Good to know! It came a bit more yellow than I would have liked. I laid 1 pallet myself, and some friends helped with the second one. The hardest part was prep work - clearing out all the weeds, laying down some fresh soil and then soil starter (our current soil is awful).

It's Bermuda also, so I'm hoping some watering and good soil will help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 PM

50 posts, read 230,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
We live in Alamo Ranch and had the same type situation. We needed sod in the back yard, been in our house about 5 weeks now. Last week we bought some sod at Dell's (as previously mentioned)...we didn't ask them about laying the sod or recommending anyone else to do so....we just figured we would do it ourselves. We also bought some bags of top soil to integrate into the "top soil" (using the term loosely) that the builders use. Anyway, we were fortunate to lay the sod the day before the rain so that was good. It still (IMO) requires daily watering as the rain runs off so quickly.

We also replaced (and the builder helped us out & their workers laid the replacement sod) some of the sod in the front that just didn't take root (not enough watering before we moved in and we just couldn't get it to green up after we moved). We've been watering (even with the rain) just about every night. They recommend 1 inch of water a day for 3 weeks for new sod. We hate thinking what our water bill will be, but we paid $$$ for the sod and don't want it to die. As some suggested it is a hot time of year to lay sod, but when you live with a dust bowl in your backyard it's worth going ahead to get the sod laid.

So...back to the back yard sod.....we laid it ourselves. Let me tell you it's hard, hot, dusty work. If $$$ were not an object I would pay in a heartbeat to get somebody else to do it. Alas...we've spent way too much money doing lots of other stuff so our budget has been stretched thin.....therefore we did it ourselves. Whew!! It's been over a week now and we can already tell it's taking root and greening up pretty well.

Good luck!!!
Hi, Filly:

What was difficult about laying the sod? I helped my father lay sod about 25 years ago, and as I recall it wasn't hard, but then I was 25 years younger! Don't you just plop it down in a line? Please refresh my memory! I'm planning to do my backyard and don't know whether to pay someone to do it or try it myself. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio