Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 AM

15 posts, read 19,374 times

Advertisements

I checked out all of the offenders in my area for around a 2-3 mile radius. Most of them are not recent offenders and have decent jobs. There are 0 registered in the complex itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwan.Reynolds View Post
This is my very first post.

My name is Antwan. I'm 25½ Years old African American male with a wife and stepson. They were both born in California but I'm originally from North Carolina. I am very easy to get along with and easy going. Some would consider me to be the "Uncle Tom" type because I fit none of the stereotypes that are typically goes along with my race.
i have my doubts, but if you are decent and not a complete retard, consider the NE/NW sides of town. if you can afford it, brackenridge park and alamo heights are also nice areas (im in brackenridge park)

Quote:
We are all moving to San Antonio from Fresno, ca in 4 weeks. My wife has been unemployed for over 3 years and she is looking to enter into a new job market to continue her search. She currently only has 1 year of experience as a Medical Assistant.

I have already acquired a job, San Antonio Phone Number, and an Apartment in the Medical Center area that we have actually seen in person. Unlike a lot of other desperate Californians that are looking to relocate without a job, I have actually done my homework well. This relocation plan has been in the works for 2 years now and its finally time to make that move.
you dont sound prepared, as one of you are moving here without work. your job better be a high paying one... unless you plan on filing for gov't assistance...

also, one year experience in the medical assistant field? good luck finding a job in that field in a city where people in that field have 10x more experience. youre fighting an uphill battle there...

Quote:
After news got out that I am leaving, I am now the center of all jokes now. And they tell me things like "Theres nothing in San Antonio" or "Texas is just like California". From what I remember from my SA visit, it seems like it can be a lot of fun compared to the Central Valley here in CA. It also did not have a bunch of people in it that look at you funny just because you decided to look in their direction. That alone makes me not even want to leave the house in order to find entertainment out in the public. Another thing I cannot stand seeing is the percentage of people here in Fresno, ca living free on welfare while I work 10 hours a night and pay for my own Food and Insurance. I'm not going to rant any further than that in this post.
quite the opposite, the natives and illegals here will give you tons of weird looks due to you not being one of them. its sad, but its a fact in this city. did you know that SA is also about 3/4ths ghetto? east side? ghetto. west side? ghetto. south side? mostly ghetto with some supposed 'nice areas'... but who wants to be in a nice area thats surrounded by ghetto? not me!

if you cant stand people on welfare there, you are going to blow a headgasket here, as the majority of the people you will likely encounter will be on some form of govt assistance.

Quote:
So I have a few questions:
How do I respond to people hating on my move to Texas?
tell them to **** off.

Quote:
Is the Medical Center a generally good area to live in? ( I only saw it during the day)
not anymore. tons of traffic, crime is on the rise, lowlife vagrants are starting to pile into apartments like a form of insect life thats abundant here. also, if mosques are your thing, theres one thats in the middle of the med center that blares its call to prayers during standard muslim times.

Quote:
Does anyone have Grande Communications? If so, How do they fare against Time Warner with them being such a smaller company. Better Customer Service?
HEB Vs. Walmart Pros and Cons
HEB vs wal mart - heb has more selection in food, wal mart is generally cheaper on the stuff you can find at both stores.

grande... no advice on them as ive never used them.

time warner - STAY AWAY! they farkin SUCK here. get ATT dsl/uverse and / or direc tv. if you go with direc tv, hit me up, if i give you my acct number and you sign up we both get 100$

Quote:
Thats all the questions I have for now. If I think of any others I will post them later. Thanks in Advance to any responses I may receive.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Soviet is right about watching out when you drive through the little cities like Shavano Park. My husband and I used to get pulled over every time we drove through Shavano. No tickets, just warnings...my husband called it getting a DWB...driving while brown.
racist much? im hispanic, used to drive through shavano on a weekly basis (my in-laws used to live there but have moved into nicer housing) and never got pulled over. maybe... dont speed? dont break the law?

love how you pulled the race card...

Old 02-18-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
There will be many more added to the list as well for simply "Sexting". Most Sexters don't even have a Pedo mentality.
pretty sad but youre spot on with this comment. there are people on that list that have no reason for being there, IE 18 year old having secks with his 16 year old gf or vise versa.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
racist much? im hispanic, used to drive through shavano on a weekly basis (my in-laws used to live there but have moved into nicer housing) and never got pulled over. maybe... dont speed? dont break the law?

love how you pulled the race card...

When you get pulled over every day on the way to work, they ask where you're going, and then give you a warning, what other explanation is there? I had to open the store at 6 am, so I was usually driving through Shavano Park at 5 am, so I could have time to get pulled over on the way to work, count the money from the day before and get the coffee made before 6.

Police officers don't hesitate to give a ticket when you've broken a law. If the same officers pull you over all the time for various excuses (looked like you might have swerved a bit, it looked like the license plate light was out, but it was the angle, etc) and you never get a ticket, how else do you explain it?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reality check @DexterCat. But is it really a reality check or one with bias injected into it when so many CD users love it there in SA.

What did you mean when you said "You have your doubts"?

Unfortunately, I am in too deep to retract my plan now! Will just have to make the best of it. My wife has call center experience as well so Medical Assisting won't be the only thing she looks for.

We are making it here in California on one income just fine (No Stamps or Cash Aide). My current wage isn't the greatest either.Utilities, Rent, Fuel, Etc. Is all higher. We still manage to budget and still have money leftover.

The Medical Center couldn't be anymore ghetto/loud than where I live now( I live in downtown Fresno). That's all I will say about that.

Living within our means is something I strive for every single day which isn't something the majority of Californians seem to care about.

Am I really being wreckless/careless for wanting to move into a state that has laws that I better agree with? I need something more than just superficial reasons as to why you believe San Antonio wouldn't be right for my new family.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:56 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,919 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reality check @DexterCat. But is it really a reality check or one with bias injected into it when so many CD users love it there in SA.

What did you mean when you said "You have your doubts"?

Unfortunately, I am in too deep to retract my plan now! Will just have to make the best of it. My wife has call center experience as well so Medical Assisting won't be the only thing she looks for.

We are making it here in California on one income just fine (No Stamps or Cash Aide). My current wage isn't the greatest either.Utilities, Rent, Fuel, Etc. Is all higher. We still manage to budget and still have money leftover.

The Medical Center couldn't be anymore ghetto/loud than where I live now( I live in downtown Fresno). That's all I will say about that.

Living within our means is something I strive for every single day which isn't something the majority of Californians seem to care about.

Am I really being wreckless/careless for wanting to move into a state that has laws that I better agree with? I need something more than just superficial reasons as to why you believe San Antonio wouldn't be right for my new family.
Don't worry--DexterCat has little idea what he's talking about. 3/4 of San Antonio is not "ghetto." Sounds like he's trying to scare you away. Pay attention to everyone else--not him. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods--and nice people--on the east, west, and south sides of San Antonio.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Don't worry--DexterCat has little idea what he's talking about. 3/4 of San Antonio is not "ghetto." Sounds like he's trying to scare you away. Pay attention to everyone else--not him. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods--and nice people--on the east, west, and south sides of San Antonio.
I know right? His credibility with me was shot when he called me a moron. I am too mature to start a flame war with somebody I don't even know.

The truth is, My family and I came to San Antonio about a month ago to look at the historical attractions, get a first hand look at SA's environment, and view various apartments in my price range (Because the Internet only tells one part of the story).

Word of advice to DexterCat: If you don't like where you live than just move. I plan to move even further east if we turn out not to like SA afterall. Simple as that!

Last edited by Antwan.Reynolds; 02-18-2011 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Corrected typos

Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
Hey, Antwan, I hope you continue to post after you move - you seem like a cool person! I know I can speak for the majority of CDers when I say we'd LOVE to give you information about things to do and the great stuff that goes on in San Antonio.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Hey, Antwan, I hope you continue to post after you move - you seem like a cool person! I know I can speak for the majority of CDers when I say we'd LOVE to give you information about things to do and the great stuff that goes on in San Antonio.
Oh yeah! I'm here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio