Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Your education speaks volumes when your answer is for me to shove it.
And the lack of yours shines through when you can't even address any of the other points above.

Overseas, we played with private leagues. In California, there was AYSO, CYBA, and club teams. Even when we moved here, there was no softball team in high school, so I played with a traveling club team. I played with a club soccer team, as well. The club teams often played at a higher level than the high school teams. In fact, many promising serious athletes still go through private leagues to intensify competition, make connections, etc.

So all hope is not lost if school goes back to what it should be - a place of strong academics.

It's called having priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Just curious...are there any community center in the Nisd area?

So if we cut sports and other after school stuff, what will these kids be doing for their free time?
Same thing the other 50% of students that are not in organized sports do

Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Same thing the other 50% of students that are not in organized sports do
No way. Sports, band, or any other extra acitvies is more important than a part-time job, volunteer work, or studying.

Seriously though, I do feel bad for those kids that can't be part of after school programs because they have responsibilities such as working and supporting the family. These kids probably develop and mature quicker than those that have less responsibilities. I would have more respect for them than a football captain.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I got mine...in great math, english, foreign language, history, science prep...so that I could grow up big and strong and make the most out of college and have a fabulous career that helps people every single day...THAT is what I want everyone else to have. So you can shove it. Most kids who play sports will never do it past the high school level. But academics can take you *anywhere*. You know what's also 'fun'? Making well into the six figures in your early 30s. Financial security is fun. Making a real difference in people's lives is fun. WAY more fun than sports.

Back in the day, the community and local businesses used to sponsor sports teams. They had very little to do with the schools. Because many sports weren't offered in my school (until I moved to Texas), almost all my sports were through outside after-school organizations. Why can't we go back to that?
What points did you want me to address here? This has absolutely nothing to do with San Antonio's school districts cutting sports programs. Nobody has advocated cutting the academics out. You benefited from the schools providing sports, so why shouldn't this generation benefit as well? You know, as in making a real difference in people's lives. There are surely other places to cut before cutting out sports and music.

And there are private leagues that do get sponsored by local businesses, as far as I know.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
No way. Sports, band, or any other extra acitvies is more important than a part-time job, volunteer work, or studying.

Seriously though, I do feel bad for those kids that can't be part of after school programs because they have responsibilities such as working and supporting the family. These kids probably develop and mature quicker than those that have less responsibilities. I would have more respect for them than a football captain.
Yes, loads of middle-schoolers are clocking in and bringing home the bacon.

And, the ones "volunteering" are usually the kids involved in the Honor Society and other clubs that clock volunteer hours. They squeeze studying in when their other obligations have been met. Again, time management.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I would have more respect for them than a football captain.
Going back to the captain thing.

I've been in enough interviews with big companies that know that they value more a person that has overcome challenges with a team (volunteer works for Red Cross or Habitat for Humanity) that a person saying "I was the captain of a team" and being unable to say how that experience would apply to working in a company.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,122 times
Quote:
What points did you want me to address here? This has absolutely nothing to do with San Antonio's school districts cutting sports programs. Nobody has advocated cutting the academics out. You benefited from the schools providing sports, so why shouldn't this generation benefit as well? You know, as in making a real difference in people's lives. There are surely other places to cut before cutting out sports and music.

And there are private leagues that do get sponsored by local businesses, as far as I know.

Well, I think the point is that there is a finite amount of $$ in the proverbial pot that is school funding. And that $$ isn't enough to cover everything anymore. So if school sports should not be cut, where should the budget cuts come from? The whole conversation started because what is being proposed by some is eliminating teacher positions which => larger classrooms, which many say will => a decline in academics.

I don't think any on this thread are proposing cutting sports just because they don't like football (although that might be an added bonus for some); rather they see the exorbitant amount of $$ spent on sports and think that this area might be one to trim before we begin to cut teacher positions.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,743 times
Quote:
Your education speaks volumes when your answer is for me to shove it.
I was thinking the same thing. Typically those with a solid education don't respond with "shove it". Classy, classy!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
Quote:
Yes, loads of middle-schoolers are clocking in and bringing home the bacon.

And, the ones "volunteering" are usually the kids involved in the Honor Society and other clubs that clock volunteer hours. They squeeze studying in when their other obligations have been met. Again, time management.
I was not specifically talking about middle schoolers but high schoolers. You would be surprised how many high school kids have to supplement household income but I shouldn't have to tell you that.

As for volunteer work, many of these extra activity programs such as Honor Society "encourage" kids to volunteer. Not always because they want to. In my previous job, I worked with a group of kids from a local high school doing volunteer work that came from the "Gifted and Talented" program and all of them just griped about being stuck with the fundraiser and would rather be doing something else. I was surprised because I certainly expected more from kids in said program.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Typically those with a solid education don't respond with "shove it". Classy, classy!
But they respond with sarcastic comments about how now that "I got mine," I don't care?

Of course I care! But I care for academics first. If they propose huge class sizes as a way to deal with the budget cuts, why can't we counter with something that has nothing to do with what school is supposed to be about?

Insulting people without knowing them or their motives is the ultra-classiest move of all...don't you think?

Or maybe since y'all got YOUR education, you don't care what happens to the kids left bereft of theirs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio