Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 AM

380 posts, read 1,114,050 times

Advertisements

Great posts everyone thanks. After S.A., we are driving straight to New Orleans..spending a few hours there, and then probably to Pensacola for a sleep, and finally Fort Lauderdale.

Me, my gf, and my dog are going to be staying around La Cantera--any suggestions for quick things for us to do that night or the next morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 01:32 AM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
You might need to leave VERY early, like 5 or so mountain standard time, to get from Willcox to SA before sunset (today it sets around 7:50 CDT). Remember that you lose two hours going east.

Be careful...there are some nuts on the roads, esp. in urban areas.

Also, most of the areas you'll be driving through have been in a drought, coupled with hard freezes that killed off a lot of the palms in New Mexico and Texas in February, so keep that in mind.

Edit: I forgot that Arizona time is the same as California this time of year.

Last edited by shoe01; 03-31-2011 at 01:49 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
You might need to leave VERY early, like 5 or so mountain standard time, to get from Willcox to SA before sunset (today it sets around 7:50 CDT). Remember that you lose two hours going east.

Be careful...there are some nuts on the roads, esp. in urban areas.

Also, most of the areas you'll be driving through have been in a drought, coupled with hard freezes that killed off a lot of the palms in New Mexico and Texas in February, so keep that in mind.

Edit: I forgot that Arizona time is the same as California this time of year.

If they're staying at La Cantera coming from the West, they won't really be in much of urban San Antonio, will they?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
There is a Drury Inn at IH-10 & 1604 that is nice and new, the only problem is that it is just across from Six Flags so it may get booked quickly during the tourist season (I don't remember if you mentioned when you were making this trip). However, it is easy to find and right on your way, and we've had great experiences at Drury Inns across the nation.

You might have to sneak the dog in though, easier if you have a small kennel.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-31-2011, 06:01 AM

204 posts, read 336,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
There are Border Patrol checkpoints on I-10?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me?! - Confused Russian
Why so surprised? I-10 follows pretty close to the border for awhile out there.

There's one on I-5 in California too between L.A. and San Diego.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:52 AM

28 posts, read 80,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Why so surprised? I-10 follows pretty close to the border for awhile out there.

There's one on I-5 in California too between L.A. and San Diego.

The amazing thing is that every one who travels that corridor, even semi-frequently, knows they are there and they STILL catch illegals and drugs.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Google Maps says it'll be 12.5 hours. My record driving is 16 hours from St. Louis to San Antonio. You'll be fine, I'm sure.

Have you driven that long before, though?
I did that, too.
and it's a tougher drive because you have to deal with the traffic in I-35, Austin and Dallas/Ft.Worth.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
Quote:
If they're staying at La Cantera coming from the West, they won't really be in much of urban San Antonio, will they?
I was thinking more along the lines of El Paso...the drivers there make everyone else in Texas outside of Dallas and Houston look tame in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio