Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 PM

380 posts, read 1,114,571 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be on a cross country trip from Los Angeles with my gf (who doesn't drive) and my dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Does the dog Drive?? If you mean in a day.. non stop, I think so. My son has made the trip from LA to SA non stop so to speak!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:38 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,034,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1newyorkguy View Post
I'm going to be on a cross country trip from Los Angeles with my gf (who doesn't drive) and my dog.
Google Maps says it'll be 12.5 hours. My record driving is 16 hours from St. Louis to San Antonio. You'll be fine, I'm sure.

Have you driven that long before, though?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,998,471 times
That's 786 miles according to GoogleMaps, and 12.5 miles as Soviet mentioned. For some that's easily doable, but there are many factors (weather, road conditions, traffic, your vehicle, your long distance driving abilities, etc.) that come into play before anyone can tell you if it's feasible for you.

My record is 1642 miles from San Diego, CA to Little Rock, AR; but that included short stops for naps, meals, etc. There was a reason for going that far virtually non-stop, but it also took me a few days to recover. I was also a lot younger back then. These days I like to get an early start after a good but not too heavy breakfast, and set a leisurely pace using the cruise control when possible. My rule is to stop for at least 15 minutes every 2-3 hours, and take advantage of that opportunity to stretch and get some fresh air! Also do NOT depend on caffeine, energy drinks or other stimulants to sustain you through such a trip; if you are not able to maintain your concentration and focus than it's a better idea to get off the road and rest.

Lastly, whatever you do, don't push your luck. Keep everything within safe bounds and you'll have an enjoyable trip!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 AM

47 posts, read 90,715 times
Shouldn't be too bad at all... I just did San Antonio to Phoenix and back for spring break. We went straight through each way with young kids in the car. We stopped and took some decent breaks and it wasn't bad. That was 970 miles or so, and it took about 17 hours, with 14 actual "driving" hours according to the computer.

There will be a couple of border patrol checkpoints along the way that can back up traffic for a little bit.

Thankfully, you'll have speed limits of 75 and 80 most of the way. That helps!! Happy travels!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:41 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
I drove from Phoenix to SA in December in one shot. Anything under a 1000 miles to me is easy to do without stopping. The speed limit is like 85mph from El Paso to Kerville on I-10.

My longest was from NYC to SA non-stop. Fastfood/Gas/Bathroom stops only. Had a cat with me to boot. 1850 miles!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 AM

28 posts, read 80,492 times
I do Phoenix to SA and SA to Phoenix in one day about 14.5 hrs of seat time, add for gas, food and bathroom breaks. You can do 80-85 most of the way without much worrying, do be careful east of El Paso and in Tuscon Normally try to stop at Anthony (just west of El paso) for the usually cheapest gas.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,619,833 times
Yeah, 12 hours is awesome - not bad at all.

We used to drive straight through to Springfield, IL (about 18 hours) but then we got old. So now we just stop "somewhere in Oklahoma" for the night. We try to drive 11 or 12 hours the first day so the second day is cake.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,050,442 times
It's doable. I've driven from one end of Thailand to the other with minimal breaks. Take those short stops as MajorMad suggested. Bring lots of music. Pack a cooler with some beverages. Not all caffeinated, put some fruit juices in there too or you will burn out. Stay hydrated. If you need to, take a pee bottle. Or just use those short breaks to pee. Stay away from fast food.... it will knock you out on the road.

Another suggestion is to plan and/or set goals for the next year or so. What you want to do, accomplish, etc. Jot the stuff down on your breaks.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,034,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptdad View Post
Shouldn't be too bad at all... I just did San Antonio to Phoenix and back for spring break. We went straight through each way with young kids in the car. We stopped and took some decent breaks and it wasn't bad. That was 970 miles or so, and it took about 17 hours, with 14 actual "driving" hours according to the computer.

There will be a couple of border patrol checkpoints along the way that can back up traffic for a little bit.

Thankfully, you'll have speed limits of 75 and 80 most of the way. That helps!! Happy travels!

There are Border Patrol checkpoints on I-10?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me?! - Confused Russian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio