Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:46 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,555 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for jobs in SA for about 4 months from Ohio and having no luck. Turns out, my company has a position open for what I do in Austin, so I think I'm going to apply for it. I'd be 2 hours from my boyfriend instead of the hour I'd be if I lived in the furthest part of SA from him, and from what I've researched I don't think I'd like Austin half as much as SA, but if it's easier for me to transition with a job in my current company, then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do it until I can find something closer.

It can't be that bad, right? I mean, it's still Texas. Great weather, good food, lots to do. And I do already know one person in Austin, so a built in friend is always helpful. I guess what disappoints me is that SA has more of the Mexican and country-type flair and influence, and it seems that Austin is more yuppie and funky.

Oh, well. It would get me 1200 miles closer to my boyfriend, and it's easier to get a different job from 100 miles away than it is 1300!

Wish me luck, I'm going to check into applying on Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 10:58 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
It's only a piece up the road from SA. You will be surprised at the Mexican influence in Austin. Not as prevelant as SA, but it's there. It is still Texas. Gettin closer. Good luck with the application.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,807 times
enjoy the smug liberals, the smelly hippies, the hipsters, the drunken college brats, 6th street (home of the drunks), the crappy small highways..

mexican culture isnt all that, in fact i find it quite boring. im more interested in spanish culture.

i mean hey, nothing says awesome about a culture that celebrates a war it lost LOL

good luck on your relocation to that 'city'!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:09 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,038 times
SA is my home and I love it. But I am sure you will enjoy our hipper neighbor Austin.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,004 times
I think you will end up loving Austin once you are there. Austin is a young and vibrant city. Think of it is as “Urban Hippie.” Not sure why you would like San Antonio compared to Austin. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Take it one step at a time though. No job is a sure thing. Keep on looking for stuff here, too!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,229 times
City's first mobile food truck park opens - San Antonio Express-News

Austin people think they are so much more hip because they got those trailer restaurants supposedly before us. Austin is not really any more hip outside sixth street and UT area. I can say San Antonio is more sophistacated thats for sure. Big freaking deal, its a place to get food! why wouldn't it work in San Antonio?

Read this article, only a person with that absurd Austintude would think of something so ridiculous. " I didn't think it would work in San Antonio!she claims. San Antonio has more college students than Austin for one! Are the college students more hip in Austin? Are the so called hippies in Austin so much more hip and cool, the ones standing on corners looking for handouts?

It boils down to the race card. Just because San Antonio is over 50% hispanic, (Austin nearly 40%)the populace is supposedly all listening to Selena and ridiing in the back of pickups.

I'm hispanic, and to be honest I never heard of Selena until she died. More than 75% of S.A. hispanics are US born, Austin's percentage is not even half that. Which is Probably the reason for these stereotypical generalizations.

San Antonio more country and mexican flair? It may have more americanized hispanics but far from being more of country flair, thats nashville.

Austin claims to be a Muisic capital,(SWSX is awesome) thats all great, but what major band have come out of there. Nothing really mainstream that I have heard of. San Antonio has Sexpense None the Richer, San Antonio and New braunfels band members. I dont think Austin has any groups that made it that big.

SA is more of a heavy metal type city than country if anything. I know the spoon are out of Austin, but what else? Anything as well known as Sexpence? And im not talking about lil unkown indie groups!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,423 times
Wow, that is sure some Austin hate! I've never been to Texas before I moved here, and I can tell you that Austin has a lot more "hipster" things to do. Better beercrafting stores, brew pubs, restaurants, gourmet food trucks, better tech industry, better paying jobs... the city's cleaner in most parts.... shoot I can go on and on.

Ikea, Frys Electronics, baby boutiques, yadda yadda.

I can only assume the poster above me will come back with an excellent reply like "Move to Austin then!".

Edit - By the way, Janis Joplin rised to stardom in Austin.

Thanks

Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,555 times
Hip and urban are two things that I am most definitely not. I don't even know what a wine bar is! But the way I'm trying to look at it is, I'm going to be spending my weekends in the Kerrville area, so the only time I'll have to fill is after work from 6pm on during the week, and I'm a homebody, so I probably won't even notice the "Austin vibe"!

I'm sending my resume to the manager directly today, and hoping that I can get ahead of the game without having to go through my managers and HR first.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:38 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Wow, that is sure some Austin hate! I've never been to Texas before I moved here, and I can tell you that Austin has a lot more "hipster" things to do. Better beercrafting stores, brew pubs, restaurants, gourmet food trucks, better tech industry, better paying jobs... the city's cleaner in most parts.... shoot I can go on and on.

Ikea, Frys Electronics, baby boutiques, yadda yadda.

I can only assume the poster above me will come back with an excellent reply like "Move to Austin then!".

Edit - By the way, Janis Joplin rised to stardom in Austin.

Thanks

Im not hating on Austin, its a great town, but is it really that more hip and liberal than SA, Dallas or Houston? Austin has a cool vibe, but lets not compare it to San Francisco now, which people there try to do.

As far as pay it is not above San Antonio, that is just a myth, the per capita income is at the same level as S.A.'s and if you research you will see the truth come to light.
Austin claims having more hike and bike trails, yada, yada, yada, San Antonio has double the amount. Austin is a cleaner city, I will admit that, it is a much newer city. It doesn't have as much of the grittiness that the bigger Texas cities have.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 05-15-2011 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio