Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 PM

5 posts, read 35,058 times

Advertisements

We are moving to SA in about a month and I need to start dd in a preschool program this Fall. We are going to be in the outside 1604 between 10 and 281 area. Any recommendations for a preschool/Mothers Day Out? (And, is there a difference between preschool and MDO?)

Here are some schools I have called (but can't visit since we are still in CA). Let me know if I should steer clear

St Andrew Lutheran

Primrose (Stone Oak)

Rainbow Station

Harvest

TIA!

Iheartsa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 05:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartsa View Post
We are moving to SA in about a month and I need to start dd in a preschool program this Fall. We are going to be in the outside 1604 between 10 and 281 area. Any recommendations for a preschool/Mothers Day Out? (And, is there a difference between preschool and MDO?)

Here are some schools I have called (but can't visit since we are still in CA). Let me know if I should steer clear

St Andrew Lutheran

Primrose (Stone Oak)

Rainbow Station

Harvest

TIA!

Iheartsa
There's daycare, preschool, and mothers day out. Daycare is just that. It is intended for kids who are there all day, every day. Preschools are aimed towards less than full time, usually half day, either 2,3,or 5 days. Mothers day out are usually 2 days, hours like 9-2.

The curriculums/activities for each are tailored to the type of place. In other words, a preschool will have more activities in the 8-12 time period, with fewer in the afternoon, since that's when most of the kids are there. A daycare will have more things spaced throughout the day. Yes, these are generalizations, as each place will run differently.

There are also places that tend to be more academic based than others. *In general*, a 5 day preschool will cover more material than a 2 day preschool. I tended to enroll my kids for the number of days of their age. (2 days when they were 2, 3 days at 3, etc.)

Remember that kinder here is 5 full days. If you have a four year old, you might want to think about a program that is more than 2 days per week.

As for the ones you mentioned: Primrose and Rainbow station are daycares. Yes, I know they have private kinder programs. I don't know about St Andrew. My kids both went to St. Thomas Episcopal (right next to Harvest). I can tell you that I was extremely pleased. They are an academic preschool, using a modified Abeka (Christian) curriculum. They have 3 and 4 year old programs, 2,3, and 5 days per week. They go 8-11:45 am. Afternoons are available til 3 pm. This is lunch, nap, and more activities. Their number is 494-3509. Again, I highly recommend them.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,002 times
I saw that The Goddard School is also coming to San Antonio - Stone Oak area I believe. I've heard that is an excellent school, so another possibility to think about?

Old 08-03-2007, 07:17 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times
I have my daughter in the day school at Northern Hills United Methodist Church off of 1604 and Bulverde Road. I am very pleased with it. You can private message me if you have more questions.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 PM

85 posts, read 356,892 times
Primrose in Stone Oak is supposed be very good. My friend's niece goes there and a another friend tried to get her daughter in there but the waiting list for her age group was too long at the time. Park Hills Baptist Church also has a daycare/MDO program that I have heard good things about. They are located at 281/1604

Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 PM

39 posts, read 294,070 times
We'll be moving to SA in October. Our house is in the Stage Run subdivision, in the attendance area for the new school - Aue Elem. Any preschool recommendations for that area? A church affiliated preschool would be OK, but academics are the main priority.
TIA, ComingtoSA

Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 PM

469 posts, read 2,341,796 times
We sent our dd to Primrose (the Kyle Seale one, at the 1604 just west of the IH 10) and were not at all impressed. It's a nice school but nothing spectacular, no better or worse than any of the church preschools we had her in in San Diego. The down side is it's insanely expensive. $210 a week. It was more expensive then the most expensive preschool in San Diego. I know this because my neighbors back their owned that preschool. Just outrageous. Plus their classrooms were packed, the 2 yr old room had over 20 kids in it with 2 teachers. For that much money I expect a better teacher student ratio but their answer was that they were within government regulations. Not a good enough answer for the price tag.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:52 AM

25 posts, read 208,355 times
Default Primrose at Stone Oak

My son is in the Private Pre-K program Primrose at Stone Oak for two months and we have been extremely impressed with the teachers and the staff. The actual "school year" beings on August 27th when the kid will start the more structured curriculum (I cannot remember the name of it, but it is not Abeka, this is what my son had at his last preschool). Although this summer they are not doing the actual curriculum, they have a "theme" each week that are learning activities. We moved from Little Rock, so I did have sticker shock compared to preschools and daycares there, but it was everywhere, not just Primrose. Primrose was a little higher than some others I inquired about, but it is a Private Pre-K program with an actual teacher, not a teenager working part-time. I love the fact that they do not allow the children to watch tv unless it relates to the lesson (which has not happened yet). This was a major problem that I had with my son's last school. I also love that they serve a healthy lunch each day, not chicken nuggets and french fries! I could go on all day about this!

Next year my son while start kindergarten in the NESID.

I have heard good things about Crown of Life's Mother's Day Out program (it is across the street from Primrose of Stone Oak on Concorida).

With all of this said, please feel free to email me with any questions. We just moved here in July.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 30,257 times
Does anyone have information on Judson Montessori or Catholic schools in Northeast area? we will be moving in 6 months to San Antonio?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:05 PM

64 posts, read 280,836 times
I had my daughter at Castle Hills Pre-School and we loved it! She was so happy there, the teachers were vertrans (been there for 10 plus years), great teachings, and wonderful people/kids to be around. I would have put her there for PK again but we have her at NISD this year. So good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio