Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,148 times

Advertisements

Last weekend, I looked at Mattress Firm: they only push the Posturepedic brand and nothing else. That's right: no Sealy or Serta or anything else. Well at least the one across from NorthStar Mall was like that. I think the lowest price for a Queen mattress set was 800 something. Ouch!

I went to Factory Mattress Sales on San Pedro right there by the HEB on Oblate. The guy's lowest priced mattress set was by a company I've never heard: International Bedding Corporation. Who? Yeah, exactly what I thought.

For a Queen mattress set, they had two types:

Firm: COLONY 2000 FREEDOM TOP $349
Non-Firm: 4000 CLASSIC EURO TOP $399

I *believe* I am looking for a firm mattress. I don't think I want a non-firm because then I will feel like I am going to sink into the mattress with no support, right?! On the other hand, I don't want a super firm mattress that will make me feel like i am sleeping on concrete floor.

Which mattress did you buy locally that you recommend? Which place should I stay away from? Which particular mattress did you like or didn't like?

My budget is under $500.00 However, if a mattress set is really worth it, I don't mind paying more, but I don't wanna shell out so much money on a bad mattress either.

According to this site, Sealy Mattresses Reviews - Viewpoints, Sealy is a really good and trusted brand. Anyone know of any places locally that have a good number of Sealy mattresses in stock that I can take a look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Try United Mattress on South Flores. The lady that owns it will make you a mattress to your sopecifications and give you choices on the cover and it is well within your budget. I've been going there for years and have never been disappointed. Google it for specifics and telephone.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Last weekend, I looked at Mattress Firm: they only push the Posturepedic brand and nothing else. That's right: no Sealy or Serta or anything else.
Posturepedic is a Sealy. Posturepedic is supposed to be Sealy's premium line. For Serta, their premium line would be Perfect Sleeper.

I bought my current mattress, a Sealy Posturepedic "Cushion Firm" from Mattress Firm. Their pricing seemed to be competitive with everybody else for a comparable Posturepedic bedding set. I don't remember offhand exactly what I paid, but I know it was over $600 for the mattress & foundation.

If you're trying to stay under $500, and still want a good quality mattress, Big Lots sells Serta, including the Perfect Sleepers.

Before making my mattress purchase, my research suggested that it would be best to stick with the "premium" line (i.e. Posturepedic, Perfect Sleeper, BeautyRest) from one of the well-known name brands, then select the firmness/softness level that best suits you.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Try United Mattress on South Flores. The lady that owns it will make you a mattress to your sopecifications and give you choices on the cover and it is well within your budget. I've been going there for years and have never been disappointed. Google it for specifics and telephone.
Thanks! Never heard of this place. I'll look into it.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:07 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times
Costco sells Sealy Posturepedic mattresses at great prices. I got one a couple of months ago and LOVE it. I went from a memory foam mattress to the Posturepedic. I have NO regrets.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If you're trying to stay under $500, and still want a good quality mattress, Big Lots sells Serta, including the Perfect Sleepers.
Awesome! I'll have to check into Big Lots.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Costco sells Sealy Posturepedic mattresses at great prices. I got one a couple of months ago and LOVE it. I went from a memory foam mattress to the Posturepedic. I have NO regrets.
How much did you pay more or less? And was it the box spring and mattress as a set or just the mattress that you purchased? If you could give me the specific type of model that you purchased, that would also be great!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 PM

8 posts, read 24,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I totally second that, $600 for the queen set I purchased and even if you don't like it in a day, week, month, year, few years, etc. you can return it and get a completely new one OR get in-store credit. Even if you stain it or break it, accidentally or not, you can replace it. Best return policy for sure. Not like you would really need it with the quality of mattress. Believe me when I say that you should get your mattress at Costco because YOU might like it, but the significant other might not. That being the case you can pretty much test-drive a few mattresses til you find one that works by purchasing it at Costco.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I have the same dilemma. The more I read about them, the more confused I get.
http://www.slate.com/id/93956/ I know this is kinda old, but still so true!

http://lifehacker.com/5186786/dont-g...ing-a-mattress
http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-buy-a-mattress/

I agree with ForeverIris: get your mattress from a company that let you return and try another one, till you find the best.
Users recommendations are great, but people have different sleep pattern, different pains at the end of the day.
Some stay on their feet whole day, other sit 8 hours long, or bend and lift, or walk ... etc.
So by the end of the day different muscles are sore and sensitive to mattress pressure. You need to try the mattress, and not 2 minutes at the store, but at your home, for few weeks or a month. If you think that you are not happy, and rested - try another one. You would not know until you compare.

Last edited by elnina; 01-22-2012 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: added

Old 06-11-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I have the same dilemma. The more I read about them, the more confused I get.
Going to the Mattresses - By Seth Stevenson - Slate Magazine I know this is kinda old, but still so true!
Very true, and great article!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio