Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 7,365 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to visit San Antonio next year around April (I hope) from Ireland, this will be a major trip for me as I've never flown over 3 hours so I want to make the absolute most of it (as I'm not a great flyer this may possibly scar me for life!). There are a number of things I want to do and I'm looking for other suggestions; visit The Alamo; go to a Spurs game; eat an authentic Tex Mex meal (suggestions please), go to a working ranch (suggestions please), visit a military base (if I can) and attend a rodeo. I'm not interested in Downtown/Riverwalk, amusement parks or water parks etc. I also would love some suggestions for some nightlife for the over 30's. Also, I'm female so is it safe to bus and walk everywhere as I don't intend to drive. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
April is a great time to be visiting SA. The weather is usually very nice at that time of year. April is also the time of our annual local holiday called Fiesta. In 2012 it runs from April 19-29. Visiting the Alamo should be no problem. Going to a Spurs game should be easy as well. Tex-Mex meals are in great abundance in SA. The best and most authentic will be on the south (excluding the River Walk), west and east sides of town. Most on the far north sides are franchises that have lost there authenticity although there are exceptions. For a working ranch tour just do a Google for that mentioning San Antonio and you'll find several in the area. I'm sure most of the Military bases offer some limited tours for PR reasons but I'm only guessing. There are others on this board more qualified to speak on that than me. I'll leave the nightlife to others also. Although I would suggest that you do take some time to sample the local music scene here in SA and maybe take a trip up the road to Austin. Sixth Street in Austin is very popular for you age bracket. With the exception of the downtown tourist buses I would not advise a visitor such as yourself in using the city transit system your transportation. Take cab or rent a car. Have fun on your visit.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
Where will you be staying in San Antonio? If you are downtown you should have no problem getting to the Alamo, Riverwalk, etc by walking or bus/streetcar. If you are staying with friends have them take you downtown as it is a bit tricky to deal with the one-way streets. If not, your hotel may provide shuttles to some of the places you'd like to visit. Our VIA bus system, from what I've heard, does not make it easy to get places.

I would look at Bandera which is about an hour outside of San Antonio for a ranch. I know they have several working ranches that offer vacations and that would probably be your best bet. You should be able to find some online. The rodeo will not be in town in April, however, there are some clubs that have bull riding. Cowboys Nightclub has a bull riding arena. Also, some friends recently told me about a place in Bulverde TX called Tejas Rodeo that has bull riding and country dancing. They have a website and it looks fun. I want to take my boys out there once it cools down to get some true Texas time. I don't know if you like country music but it was highly influenced by Irish and Scottish settlers in the South so it might appeal to you.

For Tex-Mex, to get the experience, I'd suggest Mi Tierra. It's been around forever and you would probably enjoy the mariachis. I'm not sure how the food is as it's been years since I've gone, but the feel is puro San Antonio I hope you have a wonderful trip here. Be sure to post again closer to your trip so people can update you on what is going on in SA.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Lackland Air Force Base does do group tours; but the monthly tours have been cancelled (more info here).

I might be able to give you a tour of Lackland if I'm in town (I travel a lot for work). Lackland is no longer an open installation, so all guests must be sponsored by someone with a valid military ID card. Since I am retired USAF, I am able to get on base and bring guests.

Send me a DM about a month before you visit and we'll see what I can arrange. It wouldn't be an "official" tour, but I do know the base pretty well and can show you the more interesting bits.

And, if the weather's nice, we can drive around it in my Jeep! Just be sure to bring sunscreen and a hat, as the sun could be pretty brutal even that early in the spring.

Cheers! M2

Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
The plane trip should be easy. Landing in SA is usually a piece of cake as long as the rancher has plowed out the furrows in the fields and the cows get out of the way when the plane lands.
Where do you plan to stay? If downtown, the Alamo, Cathedral and Riverwalk are easy to get to. VIA Trans does have a bus(#7) that goes from downtown to the zoo, Witte Museum, Botanical Gardens, Zoo, and McNay Art Museum. It gets you around without taxis.
April is a good month, it may or may not be hot(90s). Fiesta(a 10 day party) is as mentioned. It generally signals the warm weather to start.
Ft. Sam Houston has a limited tour, security has dampened most access to military bases.
majormadmax has made a good offer. (He's not a scary as his name.)
When it gets closer to your visit inform us of details, like where staying and exact dates and I'm sure more information with better details for activities will be shared.
Do not forget the sunscreen. Fair Irish skin doesn't take well to Texas sun.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
M2--what a great guy you are to offer a tour!

Shane--you're scaring the tourists! I just said the ranches were out of town not at the airport I can second that Irish skin thing. My family hass been in Texas for 5 generations and my Scotch-Irish skin STILL hasn't evolved to handle the sun.

Maybe someone should plan an evening out for our Irish friends when the time comes.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 7,365 times
Go raibh maith agat, to everyone who responded. Ddeel I checked out Tejas Rodeo, I'll deffo add it to my must do list.

Slán
Clare

Old 09-01-2011, 04:38 PM

272 posts, read 640,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarej View Post
I'm hoping to visit San Antonio next year around April (I hope) from Ireland, this will be a major trip for me as I've never flown over 3 hours so I want to make the absolute most of it (as I'm not a great flyer this may possibly scar me for life!). There are a number of things I want to do and I'm looking for other suggestions; visit The Alamo; go to a Spurs game; eat an authentic Tex Mex meal (suggestions please), go to a working ranch (suggestions please), visit a military base (if I can) and attend a rodeo. I'm not interested in Downtown/Riverwalk, amusement parks or water parks etc. I also would love some suggestions for some nightlife for the over 30's. Also, I'm female so is it safe to bus and walk everywhere as I don't intend to drive. Thanks

My suggestions for food are Mamacitas or Chuy's. Unless you know someone that is military that is willing to sign you in as a visitor you will not be allowed on base. Rodeo season is from Feb 9-26, 2011,it's not year round. As for clubs if you likle country or want to see a mechanical bull go to Cowboys dancehall or Midnight Rodeo. Just curious why fly all thew way to San Antonio from Ireland? I've lived all over the US and would never choose or think of SA as a vacation spot to have a blast, although for some reason alot of people do, just wondering why you picked it..

Old 09-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarej View Post
Go raibh maith agat, to everyone who responded. Ddeel I checked out Tejas Rodeo, I'll deffo add it to my must do list.

Slán
Clare
Tá fáilte romhat!

(I think that means "you're welcome!")

Old 09-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
Just curious why fly all thew way to San Antonio from Ireland? I've lived all over the US and would never choose or think of SA as a vacation spot to have a blast, although for some reason alot of people do, just wondering why you picked it..
Really? San Antonio gets approximately 26 million tourists per year according to the San Antonio Convention and Visitors Bureau! In all my world travels, it is not uncommon for people in other countries to know about our great city! Being home to the Alamo, Riverwalk and many other attractions means we are pretty well known globally...

But I think I can understand your point. I grew up in Florida, and would never go back there on vacation. I guess it's all dependent on what you're used to...

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio