Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times

Advertisements

Boxing purists saw that as a cheap shot. If you are a true world class fighter, you dont need to take shots like that to win. It may have been legal, but that doesn't mean it was right.

But what can you expect from a fight dodging, loud mouth, prima donna like Floyd?? Every dog has its day and its only a matter of time before he has his.

At the same time, as I look back on that fight, I can't help but feel it suspect....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
Yeah right people who dont know boxing would see it this way. The ref called time in and that means FIGHT in the boxing world. The ref even said on the radio this morning, "I called time in, I dont know why Ortiz would wanna shake hands again for." Ortiz loosing his cool causing him to head butt because he knew he was already loosing in rounds kept Mayweather his title for sure. People may not like the way he won, but it was fair because time in was called. Call it a cheap shot if you want to, but Floyd knows the rules of boxing and taught that idiot Ortiz a lesson. I love how before the fight Ortiz's trainer was crying about Mayweather being dirty. I havent seen something that dirty since the Tyson bite or Margarito's loaded gloves. I hope Ortiz does not get a rematch and I hope Mayweather stops ducking Pacman so we can see the fight of the century.
guess you didn't see the many times that Mayweather grabs onto his opponent's left hand when in close. look for it, they tie up and he clamps down on the opponent's hand so he can't use it.

yes it was legal, yes it was poor taste. and mouthing off to an 80 yr old man??? really?

finally, the whole thing did stink. Ortiz is a great fighter, but I think he went for a large payroll on this one. I mean who goes and hugs the guy (again) after the fight was over? And the ref called time in, but then looked away? seems fishy...

I used to love wrestling when I was a kid, until my dad told me it was fake and rigged. Now being grown up, I'm beginning to look at boxing differently. All in all, this thread is way off topic and not a san antonio thread any longer...

Old 09-19-2011, 05:39 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Every word true,

Great Post. But...it was a sucker punch nonetheless. Mayweatherprobably would have won anyway,right?
But, maybe not, I think Mayweather knew that he could have very possibly
have lost.
It did end up, a dirty fight as predicted. Dishonorable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
Yeah right people who dont know boxing would see it this way. The ref called time in and that means FIGHT in the boxing world. The ref even said on the radio this morning, "I called time in, I dont know why Ortiz would wanna shake hands again for." Ortiz loosing his cool causing him to head butt because he knew he was already loosing in rounds kept Mayweather his title for sure. People may not like the way he won, but it was fair because time in was called. Call it a cheap shot if you want to, but Floyd knows the rules of boxing and taught that idiot Ortiz a lesson. I love how before the fight Ortiz's trainer was crying about Mayweather being dirty. I havent seen something that dirty since the Tyson bite or Margarito's loaded gloves. I hope Ortiz does not get a rematch and I hope Mayweather stops ducking Pacman so we can see the fight of the century.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:03 PM

89 posts, read 185,951 times
Mayweather needs to stop hiding from paciau.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 AM

27 posts, read 42,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
A dishonorable couple of blows kept Mayweather's title for sure.
If it was dishonorable, don't you think the referee would have call it? Better yet Ortiz's corner would be protesting..

Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM

159 posts, read 785,146 times
Quote:
guess you didn't see the many times that Mayweather grabs onto his opponent's left hand when in close. look for it, they tie up and he clamps down on the opponent's hand so he can't use it.

yes it was legal, yes it was poor taste. and mouthing off to an 80 yr old man??? really?

finally, the whole thing did stink. Ortiz is a great fighter, but I think he went for a large payroll on this one. I mean who goes and hugs the guy (again) after the fight was over? And the ref called time in, but then looked away? seems fishy...

I used to love wrestling when I was a kid, until my dad told me it was fake and rigged. Now being grown up, I'm beginning to look at boxing differently. All in all, this thread is way off topic and not a san antonio thread any longer...
Ill look again for that hand grab and Im sure your right. Boxers will sometimes do that until a ref gives them a warning. Now as for him cussing out Larry, that had some WWE flair. Except Mean Gene never threaten to kick Hogans butt. I thought it was funny. Floyd didnt want to talk because he know what was coming..."So when are you gonna fight Manny, he has agreed to your blood test demands", so he cussed him out. Love Larry's face as he looked at the camera, "Say Whaaat!" Cant wait til Floyd fights again just to see Mayweather vs Merchant 2. Speaking of fishy, did anyone see how Mayweather's wife placed a bet on the fight and won. She picked the fourth round. Im sure it was just luck because she only put $100 down, but she won $2000.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:35 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Well.... Dishonorable shots,

Didn't make it illegal within Boxing rules. The referee had told them to go ahead and Mayweather did let the fists fly. Ortiz wasn't on the defensive
at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run piggy run View Post
If it was dishonorable, don't you think the referee would have call it? Better yet Ortiz's corner would be protesting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio