Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:52 PM

810 posts, read 1,426,161 times

Advertisements

About time! Can’t wait…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM

417 posts, read 816,955 times
This is great news. The building looks bigger than the one in Alamo Heights, which makes me optimistic that it will have a bigger selection than that store. I'm not a huge fan of the Alamo Heights store; it seems rather small compared to other Whole Foods I've been to.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,331,095 times
Quarry store has very limited options as compared to ones in other cities. They've been making the same take out crap for years.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM

611 posts, read 921,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
There's some things that I can't find anywhere lately...if I can buy those at Whole Foods, I'll go to this one sometimes. When is it supposed to open?

I can't find a specific date, but the Vineyard shopping center website says "Fall 2012".

The Vineyard Shopping Center

Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,580 times
I thought Whole Foods was supposed to adhere to some kind of 'Green' 'Organic' theme. So they put there store in a shopping center that is right on top of San Antonio's aquifers recharge zone. Oh that's right money is made of cotton, that's organic and it's green too. What a bunch of hipocrites.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I thought Whole Foods was supposed to adhere to some kind of 'Green' 'Organic' theme. So they put there store in a shopping center that is right on top of San Antonio's aquifers recharge zone. Oh that's right money is made of cotton, that's organic and it's green too. What a bunch of hipocrites.
Very good point. Maybe you should remind them of that. WF usually tries to practice what it preaches, though the bottom line is still $$$.

Though I've been to much fancier WF stores than the Quarry one, I confess I prefer the size of our's here. It's reasonable to make your way through when you really just want groceries or vitamins.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 PM

77 posts, read 125,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
How is Whole Foods to blame for that development being built? If they located the store elsewhere, how would that mitigate the environmental effect of the development? You may not know that Whole Foods only consumes 100% renewable energy, by purchasing renewable energy credits from a wind farm (citation: Whole Foods, Intel, Kohl's Use the Most Renewable Energy of All Corporations ).

You accuse Whole Foods of being hypocrites, but they have to work within the same free-market capitalist system that every other business in America uses. They must make good use of the best locations (in terms of potential customers, who all seem to live on land developed over a recharge zone; is that Whole Foods' fault or the city's?) available in order to grow their business. For you to hold Whole Foods to an impossible standard of zero negative environmental effects for their store locations, while giving the city, the land developer, and other businesses a total pass on the same issue, smacks of hypocrisy, all right, but not due to the actions of Whole Foods.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
How is Whole Foods to blame for that development being built? If they located the store elsewhere, how would that mitigate the environmental effect of the development? You may not know that Whole Foods only consumes 100% renewable energy, by purchasing renewable energy credits from a wind farm (citation: Whole Foods, Intel, Kohl's Use the Most Renewable Energy of All Corporations ).

You accuse Whole Foods of being hypocrites, but they have to work within the same free-market capitalist system that every other business in America uses. They must make good use of the best locations (in terms of potential customers, who all seem to live on land developed over a recharge zone; is that Whole Foods' fault or the city's?) available in order to grow their business. For you to hold Whole Foods to an impossible standard of zero negative environmental effects for their store locations, while giving the city, the land developer, and other businesses a total pass on the same issue, smacks of hypocrisy, all right, but not due to the actions of Whole Foods.
I gather, from SnappyBob's other posts, that he's not giving *anyone* a pass. All are responsible. All should question urban development over the recharge zone. However, Whole Foods is a company that really makes a point of sticking to its principles, so it's not a stretch to think that they'd consider the environmental impact of where they open their business. Just because other retailers don't care, doesn't make it any better.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I gather, from SnappyBob's other posts, that he's not giving *anyone* a pass. All are responsible. All should question urban development over the recharge zone. However, Whole Foods is a company that really makes a point of sticking to its principles, so it's not a stretch to think that they'd consider the environmental impact of where they open their business. Just because other retailers don't care, doesn't make it any better.
If a majority of people actually cared about the recharge zone, there wouldn't be any stores there because people would refuse to shop at them (or refuse to allow them to be built through regulation).

Whole Foods (and any other store) building there is just a reflection of what the community finds acceptable in terms of development. Given that, we can't blame the businesses without being hypocritical as a community.

It's pretty hard to say with a straight face that Whole Foods shouldn't build there if plenty of people are willing to shop at retailers built over the recharge zone.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
If a majority of people actually cared about the recharge zone, there wouldn't be any stores there because people would refuse to shop at them (or refuse to allow them to be built through regulation).

Whole Foods (and any other store) building there is just a reflection of what the community finds acceptable in terms of development. Given that, we can't blame the businesses without being hypocritical as a community.

It's pretty hard to say with a straight face that Whole Foods shouldn't build there if plenty of people are willing to shop at retailers built over the recharge zone.
We'll agree to disagree.

I hadn't thought of it before SnappyBob's post, but it makes sense. A company that not only prides itself on its environmental stewardship but bases its entire business on it, should indeed think twice about it. I wouldn't expect Walmart (or just about any other large retailer) to consider it, but WF? yeah, I'd expect them to. Well, I'd hope they would, I wouldn't really expect them to as they're a business like all others...

Unfortunately the community doesn't care about the recharge zone, but I would expect WF to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio