Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,172 times

Advertisements

Ok, first of all i am not a health freak. but seeing what our kids are being fed in schools is horrendous. the meat if like hot dog meat, the bread is usually white and full of flour, milk? yuk. if you want your kid to have juice you have to pay for that. as i watch the kids eat this i also see the majority of the food go to the garbage. I am gonna try to get a video recorded on the downlow and post it. I would like to know where i can go to see what is in this food. how many calories, and who provides the food to see if there are political ties. i think someone can make a documentary about it. they remove soda from the school and call it going healthy. anyone really wonder what is going on with this. I believe it is a matter of who is providing the food to the schools. that company is usually chosen by contract and usually has to do with politics. it is not about the heath of the kids folks. Follow the money and see where the intrest lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
I had no idea Michelle Obama posted in the SA section of C-D.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,820 times
If you care so much about your kids health & diet, pack them your own homemade lunch, like my mom did. Time, money and effort should not matter if your kids heathy is so important.

And you should worry more about the cleanliness of cafeteria. All of them are absolutely filthy.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 AM

330 posts, read 587,495 times
You should check out the food documentary "What's On Your Plate?" It's geared toward kids and helped get mine onboard with the healthy food choices I make for our family. It really explains the politics behind school lunches. It's a tough situation that goes way beyond the schools and districts themselves.

My oldest attends private Catholic high school, and the choices are semi-terrible, but would probably be workable if she wasn't celiac. My second oldest attends an awesome but poor inner city charter school. The food they have to serve is just plain bad, but they're doing the best with what they've got. It's frustrating.

So I send my kids with their mostly-from-scratch, organic, gluten free, free-range, grass fed, well-balanced lunches. But I do that from a place of extreme privilege (stay-at-home-mom with no limits on grocery budget) and have been in the situation of not having a choice. I'd definitely like to figure out some ways to help, even if it's just at the school-level.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM

239 posts, read 442,192 times
Mmmmm hot dog meat

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
the meat if like hot dog meat, the bread is usually white and full of flour, milk? yuk.
Isn't bread usually "full of flour"?

Anyhow, my kids do have some issues with the food quality...green hot dogs and moldy buns are common complaints that they have. They're not going to starve if they miss part of a meal, so I've told them just to throw out whatever they can't eat.

My kids are in NISD and they do like having lunch choices. Most days my youngest gets a yogurt or a salad instead of the regular lunches (which she has great nicknames for, like azz bomb pie).

Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 AM

184 posts, read 462,025 times
I agree with this, my daughter has food alergies and I have to pack for her but on occasion she likes to buy from the lunch line and they do have some disgusting food choices. I went to the Father/Kid breakfast one time and was turned off by what they are serving. I mean correct me if I am wrong but we do pay taxes for this stuff so why are our kids getting subpar meals at lunch?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I think breakfast is the worst at the schools, except for the cinnamon rolls, which aren't healthy but do taste pretty good.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
They do not use white bread of any kind at NISD. It is all multi grain/wheat etc.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
Paying for them....$2. Where can you buy an entree with sides for that price? They are operating on a shoestring budget. Especially since many schools have 50% of students on reduced or free meals.

I'm not saying it can never be improved, believe me. But please keep in mind what they are up against too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio