Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM

487 posts, read 992,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satodfw View Post
Do you have to move to San Antonio or is it just an option? It will be culture shock for sure. My wife and I both grew up in the Northeast, met in Phoenix, and moved to San Antonio from Orange County CA. And we feel like we're in the move 'My Cousin Vinnie.' It's really that backwards redneck. We just got a house in Preston Hollow, Dallas and cannot wait to move.

Don't get a dog for protection here. Get a gun.
For the OP it won't be quite the shock you went through. Dallas and San Antonio are very similar in many ways, particularly for her that lived in the suburbs. Dallas suburbs are far from unique. I used to live a few miles from where she lives and in like San Antonio much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM

487 posts, read 992,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Get ready for a culture shock. Quarry area would be closer to what you are used to in Valley Ranch.
I disagree. Valley Ranch is just another plain-vanilla suburb of Dallas. Nothing unique about it. I used to live pretty close to it. If you want to compare something to it in San Antonio, perhaps I would pick Stone Oak, although SO is much more happening than VR.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM

26 posts, read 35,996 times
Quote:
Do you have to move to San Antonio or is it just an option? It will be culture shock for sure. My wife and I both grew up in the Northeast, met in Phoenix, and moved to San Antonio from Orange County CA. And we feel like we're in the move 'My Cousin Vinnie.' It's really that backwards redneck. We just got a house in Preston Hollow, Dallas and cannot wait to move.

Well I was offered a job but based in some of these listings I'm nervous about accepting!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Oh by the way I'm African American I don't mind staying around whites, blacks, Mexicans or working class people just don't want to be in or near the hood or ghetto.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM

There is an area off 35 going North about 15 miles from downtown that has seems to be pretty nice visually. Ill check the Stone Oak and Quarry areas...

Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM

105 posts, read 228,815 times
It may need some adjusting if you're not used to the smaller AA concentration.

As for locations, I never lived in Dallas (I lived in Houston), but I'm AA and my brother lived in Frisco for awhile and have been near VR and other areas. If you're looking for something similar, 20-30 minutes north on 35 will net you that, and AAs tend to align themselves near 35. But there's a fair helping of congestion along 35.

I would recommend the Quarry location-wise, but that's the only reason I would. Stone Oak is also decent, but dealing with congestion issues (if you've even been near Preston & El Dorado Pkwy before construction ended, that's essentially what you'll deal with in SO) could be a hassle.

As far as not being near the hood, I'm better at pointing out where NOT to be. You don't want to be immediately east of downtown and south of 35 at all. In fact, you're better of going further south of I-10 along 37 or 35 north of Walzem Rd. My wife and I looked around here when we got married, but I don't work downtown, so it was too far from work/school for me.

A working class area that isn't totally corrupted yet is south of I-10 outside Loop 410 between Rigsby Ave and Southcross. This would be the SE side, which is fairly mixed. My wife (also AA) grew up there, and some areas (along Southcross) are newer builds. This area hasn't expanded as much as the northern half of SA has, so if you've been on 380 in between Denton and McKinney, you'd get that without the big highway.

Also, east of Foster Rd and north of I-10 would be okay. These areas give you pretty good access to downtown, and most of the amenities you're looking for.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 PM

501 posts, read 949,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_commodity View Post
Well I was offered a job but based in some of these listings I'm nervous about accepting!
Please ignore that poster. They're insanely negative with everyone of their posts. SA is most definitely not redneck nor remenesint of My Cousin Vinny. I can fully 100% guarantee that.

If you're working downtown, I'd recommend the north central area of San Antonio north of 410. Castle Hills, Inwood, Hollywood Park, etc.

281 can be hellish during the peak of rush hour but 281 is the worst north of 1604.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 PM

245 posts, read 696,340 times
Quote:

This is one of the most absurd comments I have ever read about San Antonio. To the OP, ignore this poster. San Antonio is not redneck and it sure as heck is not like "My Cousin Vinnie".

I lived in Dallas for 12 years (East Plano, West Plano, North Dallas) and my wife and I moved to Austin in 2004, then to San Antonio in 2006, and we have NEVER LOOKED BACK TO DALLAS. We love San Antonio compared to Dallas. So much more to do here, love the people, love the vibe of the city. Dallas is big and great and all that, and it has its pluses and minuses, but it has just as many scary ghetto areas if not more than San Antonio. I'm not sure exactly how the area is where you'll be living, we live on the far NW side of the city near Helotes and love it out here. But traffic is a nightmare (I work from home though so fortunately I don't have to experience it that often). Places out near 151 and the Sea World area are really nice, not sure how bad traffic is going downtown from that area.

I'd say WELCOME to San Antonio, you'll love it here, especially if you keep an open mind as it appears you have, about other races. Heck I'm white and even I'm a minority here because I believe this city is what, 60% Hispanic? My wife and I even attended a mostly African American church off of Highway 90 for a few months and really enjoyed it. You will notice though a big difference in the number of AA here as compared to Dallas. There aren't as many. But, San Antonio has one of the largest MLK marches in the entire U.S. every year, so I think that really says something about tolerance and race in this city.

Rest assured, you'll probably love it here and never want to go back to Dallas. At least that's how I feel. Been in San Antonio since '06 going on 6 years and Dallas is just a distant memory (there are things I love about Dallas, don't get me wrong, but when I weigh everything, San Antonio always comes out on top. And the rent here is cheaper than Dallas so you should be able to find something in that range, hopefully!)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. My wife and I are in our low 30's as well.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM

501 posts, read 949,300 times
It's actually THE largest MLK march in the US/world.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
For the OP it won't be quite the shock you went through. Dallas and San Antonio are very similar in many ways.
Disagreed. D/FW Metro compared to San Antonio is day and night. Sure if you are talking about N.Y. City and D/FW/SA, then there is not as much culture shock when comparing D/FW to SA. I would say Houston and Dallas are much more comparable to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio