Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,148,143 times

Advertisements

The Big XII did just lose one of its doormats, when the U of Missouri moved on, so there should be an opening for an uncompetitive newcomer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 PM

64 posts, read 179,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
they'll want hundreds of millions in taxpayer money to build a new stadium along 1604 that offers as much seating.
The only plans I've seen are for a football practice facility at the new sports complex on 1604, with home games to remain downtown.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:06 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,935,298 times
Quote:
The Big XII did just lose one of its doormats, when the U of Missouri moved on, so there should be an opening for an uncompetitive newcomer.
Yeah, but then you're gonna get that "Big X(II) doesn't want any more Texas schools" line...

Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,148,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vankai View Post
The only plans I've seen are for a football practice facility at the new sports complex on 1604, with home games to remain downtown.
A new stadium was in the master plan for that area, but apparently plans changed "last year," according to this article in the UTSA student newspaper from a couple of weeks ago.

UTSA breaks ground on sports complex - News - The Paisano - UTSA

Quote:
Last year, UTSA officials distanced the university from the idea of a Park West stadium, citing a lack of space and the first-class fan and athlete experience at the Alamodome. Hickey solidified this position, saying, “We have a great place to play in the Alamodome, and we do not have enough land at Park West to accommodate a football stadium and the necessary parking. We have a great situation with the City of San Antonio in utilizing the Alamodome and are currently working on finalizing a long term contract for UTSA Football in the Alamodome.”
This is the first I've heard that UTSA might stay in the Alamodome for a long time. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's connected to this new conference move.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 PM

161 posts, read 331,246 times
This is fantastic news for UTSA! This will provide them with a stable conference and higher athletic revenue than they would have received should the WAC. Even with Houston and SMU bolting for the Big East, there's still plenty of regional schools for future rivalries.

But most importantly, Conference USA is a far superior conference to the WAC and Sunbelt both academically and athletically. UTSA should benefit by attracting better recruits and expanding their athletic budget.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
A new stadium was in the master plan for that area, but apparently plans changed "last year," according to this article in the UTSA student newspaper from a couple of weeks ago.

UTSA breaks ground on sports complex - News - The Paisano - UTSA

This is the first I've heard that UTSA might stay in the Alamodome for a long time. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's connected to this new conference move.
My understanding is that the Alamodome is the long term option, with practice facilities as being priority along with a new basketball arena, baseball and softball stadium.

UTSA officials and San Antonio business leaders met a few weeks back to discuss "options" for expediting the building of newer facilities. IMO, UTSA was asking for financial backing to begin Phase 2 and 3 of Park West ahead of schedule. I'm having trouble locating the article, and I will post when I find it, but if you read between the lines it sounds like UTSA was telling them that they are basically leaving the WAC for a better conference and need the financial backing to update our athletic facilities.

Don't be surprised if you hear more of this in the coming months.

Can you say "H-E-B Field....home of Roadrunners baseball"!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM

392 posts, read 750,307 times
You guys will get a preview of the "growing pains" still to come for the football program this year, when UTSA travels up to play my Louisiana Tech Bulldogs for homecoming up in Ruston, LA. You can scout us by watching us whip Texas A&M in Shreveport on opening week.

HOW BOUT THEM DAWGS!!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,669,277 times
I will surprised if UTSA wins one game this year, but hey you got to start somewhere

Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I will surprised if UTSA wins one game this year, but hey you got to start somewhere
They won four games last season with a bunch of underclassmen. Why wouldn't they win one game this year with an experienced group?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM

392 posts, read 750,307 times
UTSA's still playing just "what's left of the WAC" and some FCS teams this year anyway, right? I don't see why they wouldn't win some of those, at least a couple FCS games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio