Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
You work at SWRI? I didn't know that. I was considering a job there right before this Germany thing came up. You have to at least try them. Last time I brought some home, I had one and they all disappeared the next day and that was with only two other tamale lovers in the house and one was a three year old.. They're really simple and just taste damn good. Might as well hit up the Rusty Bucket while you're there too. Eat that fresh and get the tamales to go. Don't forget to get some of those cinnamon and sugar things too. I can't remember the name, sopapillas or something like that. They're crack pretty much.. and that's from someone that's not even supposed to be able to eat sugar.
And for the inquiring minds/mods, I only went to the Cupples one. I don't know how the 209 one is, but it should be outstanding if they follow the same recipes and techniques. Trust me, places like Rudy's have nothing on this one..
No not me. I had friends out there one was running Ford 302's/lubricants testing lab and his brother was a machinist. Another friend was in Electronics lab or something. Just visiting in early 70's. I will try them and the place on Cupples. Mertz on Cupples used to be the place for deer processing. I still can't believe we let 2 or 3 dozen Reuben tamales rot in the fridge when my sons were in from California around Christmas. Forgot about them! Love them tamales... Germany huh? No tamales there I'll bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times
To answer your question...yes they do sell all day long. I have bought from there.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
I dealt with bad behavior from the people who work at Ruben's a few years ago and refuse to go back.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM

220 posts, read 681,217 times
Default Tamales

Try Mi Casa Tamales out on I-10W. They offer on-line orders for a large variety of tamales.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 PM

263 posts, read 480,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I don't know RD.... I never heard of Tellez.. But, I hadn't had Reuben's for a few years and got some again last year. I'd forgotten just how good they were.

Last time I recall the Stations doing a contest years ago. Rudy's on S. Flores won for tamales...they suck. The BBQ place across from Reuben's won for BBQ. Everyone was touting Delicioso's (sp) the last few years. I tried them they were crap...even had raw masa in them. Reuben's has been around a long time. Too bad Goas went out of business many years ago.
SATEX,I gotta side with u about Ruebens Tamales,I grew up behind their business on Alhaven in the 60's when they were 1.25 a/dz.But ,another place i found that came very close to my moms(RIP) is B&B Tamales at the west end of Mayfield at Sommerset RD.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 AM

239 posts, read 442,347 times
Hmm just tried to call Tellez but the number keeps getting the busy tone. Anyone know how much they charge per dozen?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Where can I find Louisiana style hot, juicy and spicy tamales?

Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 PM

216 posts, read 398,968 times
This is my second reply on a tamale inquiry, I wrote early about the HEB tamales. Tellez is okay if you like big, fat no taste tamales. Forget about Mi Casa they are made in Austin and shipped down here so they are not fresh and certainly not worth the $15.00 a dozen asking price.
A tamale is a simple thing it does not need to be exaggerated and glorified it just needs to have right percentage of meat versus masa with the right blend of spices, not overly spicy or including exotic ingrediants like Tofu or Feta cheese.
The meat should be shredded not ground, it should be be pork from the pig's head, and yes don't be afraid to put a little of the fat in, not chicken, beef or turkey. The masa should be from fresh ground corn that has been soaked in lime, not reconstituted corn flour. The fresh corn masa is mixed with cumin, garlic, Ancho chile paste and pure lard before being spread on the shucks, not mixed with some type of vegetable oil/fat and a lot of salt.
The trouble is a lot of commercial concerns want to try to cut corners creating an inferior product then charge a higher price than the authentic product and the uninformed public will buy them because they think that what is being offered is superior simply because it priced higher.
Some of the best tamales I have ever eaten were from a little push cart vendor in Belize, they were little fold over's on banana leaves which you will never see over here and they were outstanding.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
This is my second reply on a tamale inquiry, I wrote early about the HEB tamales. Tellez is okay if you like big, fat no taste tamales. Forget about Mi Casa they are made in Austin and shipped down here so they are not fresh and certainly not worth the $15.00 a dozen asking price.
A tamale is a simple thing it does not need to be exaggerated and glorified it just needs to have right percentage of meat versus masa with the right blend of spices, not overly spicy or including exotic ingrediants like Tofu or Feta cheese.
The meat should be shredded not ground, it should be be pork from the pig's head, and yes don't be afraid to put a little of the fat in, not chicken, beef or turkey. The masa should be from fresh ground corn that has been soaked in lime, not reconstituted corn flour. The fresh corn masa is mixed with cumin, garlic, Ancho chile paste and pure lard before being spread on the shucks, not mixed with some type of vegetable oil/fat and a lot of salt.
omg. *drool* will you make me some right now please?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
Some of the best tamales I have ever eaten were from a little push cart vendor in Belize, they were little fold over's on banana leaves which you will never see over here and they were outstanding.
Cool story, bro.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio