Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 19,039 times

Advertisements

Hello to all - I am very new to this thread process but I have been reading through a lot of them for a few days about the different areas in San Antonio. I am orginally from San Antonio, born and raised and have spent most of my life there. I've been away for some years so coming back to buy a home is almost like I have never been there at all. I, too, like many people in this thread, was looking out in the Westcreek area for a home, but I'm all about hidden nice mature communities with older residents. I was reading about the discussion of the homes in Castle Hills. I'm not married, don't have children, and this will be my first home. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
There is an older section of Westcreek. I rented in the Oaks (I believe that's the one across from the Woods) before I bought my house in the Estates and it was very quiet there. The houses are somewhere around 15 years old and with all the nice, big trees it's easy to feel like you are hidden.

I think where you're going to work will play a pretty important role though. Have you visited San Antonio in the past few years? if not, you're going to be in for a shock... especially when you see all the development in the 1604/Potranco are near Westcreek. When I moved here in June 2001 it was nothing but trees, now it's definitely not..

Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
You might also try Oak Creek (across from Westcreek of W Loop 1604 N). They have been around for some time now and have larger lots than Westcreek. The nicer houses are just north of Military Drive West. Of course, their HOA is voluntary, and as a result, there is no longer a recreation area (the pool was filled in). However, the people in this area take care of their properties.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 AM

Thank you both so much...I was at home this past April and I will be there in the first week in Nov. I've never heard of Oak Creek....I'm going to have to look at that. Before I left in 2003, I rented a house in Rolling Oaks Estates...all the way down Potranco past 1604. I'll be working at Lackland so I would like to stay in that area but the taxes are nuts out there! I will be willing to make a drive if need be.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InThEbLuE83 View Post
Thank you both so much...I was at home this past April and I will be there in the first week in Nov. I've never heard of Oak Creek....I'm going to have to look at that. Before I left in 2003, I rented a house in Rolling Oaks Estates...all the way down Potranco past 1604. I'll be working at Lackland so I would like to stay in that area but the taxes are nuts out there! I will be willing to make a drive if need be.
Try looking at MYSA.com's houses for sale and sort by sub-division (Oak Creek). Search for a house you like, write down the address. Open another browser window (or tab) and go to Zillow.com. Type in the address and you'll see more detailed info on the house, not to mention overhead photos (usually from all 4 directions). Finally, go to BCAD.org and see what the house is appraised at. Usually the price is around 10-20% more. If greater, then you need to investigate further.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Default All over it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Try looking at MYSA.com's houses for sale and sort by sub-division (Oak Creek). Search for a house you like, write down the address. Open another browser window (or tab) and go to Zillow.com. Type in the address and you'll see more detailed info on the house, not to mention overhead photos (usually from all 4 directions). Finally, go to BCAD.org and see what the house is appraised at. Usually the price is around 10-20% more. If greater, then you need to investigate further.
I've never been on or even heard of Zillow.com but BCAD.org is a great site. I have already looked up about 7 homes that I thought I might want to see when I come to San Antonio the first weekend in Nov. Many of those houses were appraised a lot lower than what they are listed for. On the flip side, I found 3 houses that were appraised a lot higher (like darn near 40,000 more)than what they are listed for. Of course, I used my connects to find out what the deal was on those properties, how long they had been on the market and what type of trouble they could have been in. It's worked out in my favor....my list of 7 quickly became a list of 4 and out of those 4, 2 have already been sold. No biggie....I know the day someone bought those another has come on the market....thank you for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: