Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times

Advertisements

I think its been something that should have been done years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Yessir. 10 years ago would have been ideal.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
While the funding isn't the same in any way, look at the De Zavala construction. That should have been done in the late 90s and now, in 2012, the construction is just now finishing on the addition of a new lane in each direction. All traffic funding sources appear to work on a "oh crap, we need the change now..." instead of anticipating a change. (I think the De Zaval construction was city funded whereas 1604 would be state funded...but still you get it). You all will get your solution in about 15 years. Just hang in there.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Yessir. 10 years ago would have been ideal.
I was thinking 20 years, funny is that in the late 80's 1604 and Bandera was slowly taking shape, but it ended there.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
The state wants to build more private toll roads so that it can continue to divert fuel taxes into the general fund and stave off budget crises elsewhere. By pushing San Antonians past the pain point on traffic, they hope that a majority of citizens will want that, too. It hasn't worked out that way. Opposition to toll roads has remained steadfast and SA continues to be the largest city in Texas without toll roads.

You should ask yourself whether you want these roads built out so badly that you're willing to pay every day to drive on them.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The state wants to build more private toll roads so that it can continue to divert fuel taxes into the general fund and stave off budget crises elsewhere. By pushing San Antonians past the pain point on traffic, they hope that a majority of citizens will want that, too. It hasn't worked out that way. Opposition to toll roads has remained steadfast and SA continues to be the largest city in Texas without toll roads.

You should ask yourself whether you want these roads built out so badly that you're willing to pay every day to drive on them.
If they want to build a new road and make it a toll road thats 'fine' but to take an existing road and make it a toll road is the issue.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM

69 posts, read 96,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If they want to build a new road and make it a toll road thats 'fine' but to take an existing road and make it a toll road is the issue.
Yep. That's the issue for me. I have no particular objection to the installation of new toll roads, but I do object to making existing roads toll. I also object to the refusal to upgrade or maintain existing roads. The state is definitely trying to push us down the toll road way. I'm not sure they are going to build/expand the roads as necessary (or in a timely fashion) without it being tolled. I am definitely torn - I really want the new roads, but really want the state to do its job.

In the meantime, the state appears to be using all of the gas tax money for roads in DFW, Houston and Austin. I definitely have road envy when I see the expressways going in.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 AM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
It will end up being a mix of tolled and non-tolled lanes. If you are satisfied with the traffic the way it is now then you will be able to use non-tolled lanes. If you want a speedier transit, you will have the toll option. I'm paying the toll. Worth the cost in gas and my time. My time is my most valuable posession and if I can pay a bit to enjoy more of it as I see fit, then that is what I will choose. YMMV.

Last edited by Rustybolt; 06-12-2012 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 06-12-2012, 12:21 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
In the "old toll road debate" of a few years ago, I understood the major pushback on using existing road infrastructure for toll roads. HOWEVER, all signs (and a few charts/diagrams) point to construction of NEW roads that will be tolled (or free if you have a certain number of people in your car). THIS, I like--not forcing anyone to pay for roads they already paid for in the past, nor restricting travel routes to non-tolled roadways. Think of it as one more choice you can make in your daily commute.

--Dim

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM

604 posts, read 1,872,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
yeah good thing there aren't any plans to do that!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio