Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 06:42 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
Sometimes it is just so frustrating seeing the things my family can not participate in and if they go away it really doesn't change for me. I know it will take away from others so that is why I usually deal with it. I do think of others not just me, but does not seem that everyone else does.
Although I cannot say I know how you feel I do feel for you. I hope that makes sense.

I was glad to read that your Wife spoke about the Yard Sales at the last BOD Meeting. I did have to leave early so I may have missed it. Was there any response from the BOD?

I'm much like you, wc2005, and many more who think about others before myself. I sent the emails due to many complaints I have heared from other VOWC Resident's during conversations.(not here on City Data) We moved here in December 1999 and have only participated in 2 Yard Sales which were held at Galm E.S. . This year my Wife will partcipate. I have never ever understood why the sales cannot be held at our homes. No one has EVER been able to give me an answer.

As far as the Christmas Bazaar why is the cost $33.00 just to participate? I have heard many complaints about that also.

With our HOA does it always have to be about making $$$$$$$ ? I know it takes money to make money but in this case it is WAY OVERBOARD.

Together we can make a change for EVERYONE. I really don't have a dog in this fight since these are events that we RARELY- IF EVER participate in.

DM me if you want the letter forwarded to you. In turn mabe you could add to it or write one to the same effect.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:45 AM

872 posts, read 1,856,423 times
[quote=wc2005;11378305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC2006 View Post
Their excuse is because no "commercial activity to which the public is invited" is allowed in WC. The Texas State Comptroller does not consider yard sales to be commercial actitivity and thus does not collect sales tax...as long as a person has no more than two per year. Which is why I recommend having two designated Saturdays (lets just say the second Saturday in April and the second Saturday in September) where garage sales are allowed. That limits everyone to no more than two per year and thus is not considered commercial activity. Or...the HOA could "sell" permits for $2 or $3 each, keep a copy in the resident's file, and only allow each address to have two per year...again, not commercial activity that way.
Wellguy - here is the only reason that I have ever heard from them.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:09 AM

[quote=wc2005;11609086]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post

Wellguy - here is the only reason that I have ever heard from them.

Maybe I'm a little lost here. If someone has a MaryKay, Avon, Pampered Chef, etc. Party at their residence would that not be considered Commercial Activity? There is an exchange of money and sales tax is collected.

I guess it to would depend on the definition of Public. If my Wife attended an Avon Party at a neighbors home is she considered Public?. Maybe this can slide if all attendees live within Wectcreek ,however that is never the case.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:06 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
[quote=wellguy;11609411]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post

Maybe I'm a little lost here. If someone has a MaryKay, Avon, Pampered Chef, etc. Party at their residence would that not be considered Commercial Activity? There is an exchange of money and sales tax is collected.

I guess it to would depend on the definition of Public. If my Wife attended an Avon Party at a neighbors home is she considered Public?. Maybe this can slide if all attendees live within Wectcreek ,however that is never the case.
If your wife was invited to the party by friends/acquaintances then she's private. If there were signs out in Westcreek that were basically advertising this party, then that is public. Big difference.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 AM

872 posts, read 1,856,423 times
[quote=firstclassflyer;11610256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post

If your wife was invited to the party by friends/acquaintances then she's private. If there were signs out in Westcreek that were basically advertising this party, then that is public. Big difference.
So, what if my sign said "Open only to WC Members in good standing"?

Again, the Texas State Comptroller does not consider yard sales to be commercial activity as long as the individual has no more than two per year.

9212712L [Tax Type: Sales] [Document Type: Letter/Memo] - Highlighted by Ultraseek

6508L0112A12 [Tax Type: Sales] [Document Type: Letter/Memo]

And below is a good example of a community having a regulated sale but AT THE RESIDENT'S HOMES...
Real Estate Blog - Steiner Ranch - Austin TX - Neighborhood Garage Sale

Old 11-13-2009, 05:04 PM

15 posts, read 25,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
That may be true but I've been peeing off the patio for almost 10 years. Someone will have to be working very early in the morning or late at night to catch me. I never pee in the same spot though. I love my grass too much.
I hope you know Wellguy that you have just given new meaning to "Water Boarding"!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,504 times
Glad to have found this forum. I'm posting a copy of an email exchange as a means of showing how difficult it can be to get simple issues corrected. These have been going on for over 40 days now...since first reported to the office. If you see legitimate issues that aren't being corrected, I'd encourage you to report them as well.

Street names removed below so as not to point out individual houses on this forum. Newest email verbiage at top.

I didn't say that you weren't following proper procedures...just pointing out that these issues are still ongoing. A couple of these could fairly easily be new to you but some of the wood rot/paint issues are very obvious and should have been corrected long ago as these are the types of things that will indeed hurt the value of properties in the community.

The issue about the shed not having a vent (separate email) was in fact corrected...thank you.

- Hide quoted text -
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Ken Lemanski <[EMAIL="vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net"]vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net[/EMAIL]> wrote:
Dear Concerned Resident,

Once again I can assure you all of these issues have been addressed by my self and the monitors who work these areas. We are following the proper steps as they are set forth in the CC&Rs and the Standards. If you have any more questions or concerns please call my office and we can set an appointment to meet here at my office.

Kenneth M. Lemanski Sr., BA, CEM
Superintendent of Standards
Villages of Westcreek Owners' Assoc.
Office Telephone #: 210-679-8761
Cell #: 210-601-5342
E-Mail: [EMAIL="vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net"]vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net[/EMAIL]

From: Westcreek Homeowner [mailto:westcreekhomeowner@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:02 PM
To: Ken Lemanski
Cc: Elizabeth Jensen; Westcreek BOD
Subject: Re: Standards Issues

Thank you for addressing the issues that I brought forward to you back on October 1. Since it is now about 40 days from when I first brought these up, I wanted to touch base with you again. The original issues are below along with updated comments on them.

11826 - I think that address is correct; its about 7 houses before (street name) if traveling on Westcreek Oaks from Military. Very ugly paint smudges on back of house. Easily viewable from Westcreek Oaks.
Update 11/11/09 - Based on your reply about the butterflies, we must be talking about different houses. I'll try to double check the possible address. It wasn't the butterflies that I had called bad paint smudges.
11938 - Bad wood rot on back of house. Easily viewable from (street names) intersection. Update 11/11/09 - Not corrected.
11910 or 11914 - Bad wood rot on back of house. Easily viewable from Westcreek Oaks, almost straight across from where (street name) meets Westcreek Oaks. Update 11/11/09 - Not corrected.
11523 - Tall grass/weeds in front yard; muddy rut on right side of driveway where vehicles are parked partially off the driveway. Update 11/11/09 - Partially corrected. Resident put in a few large rocks by the back tire and a few by the front tire. No way this would be approved by the ARC.
11514 - Missing molding and wood rot around door frame on left side of house. In the "back yard" but can easily be seen from the road. Had been this way for at least six months. Update 11/11/09 - Not corrected.
Thanks again.
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Ken Lemanski <[EMAIL="vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net"]vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net[/EMAIL]> wrote:
Dear Concerned Resident,

Without getting into to many specifics about when Courtesy Notices were written and the time frames these homeowners were given, I can assure you these issues are being addressed. The one house you saw on (street name) with the black paint smudges are actually two black metallic butterflies on the back of their house. The Monitor for this area has taken pictures of these items.

Once again thank you for your concerns about keeping Westcreek looking good.

E-Mail: [EMAIL="vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net"]vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net[/EMAIL]

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:38 AM
To: Westcreek HOA; Elizabeth Jensen; Ken Lemanski; Westcreek BOD

Ken,

You replied on October 5th to say that the below issues would be given to the appropriate monitors. As of today (October 28), it appears that none of these have been corrected.

I saw one of the monitors today driving around. Not sure how effective one can be driving but this particular monitor seems to only drive and not walk. I'm not identifying the area or individual because my goal is not to cause problems for any employee but perhaps either a policy review or a reminder of how to cover an area might be in order.

Thank you,
Concerned Resident

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Westcreek Homeowner <[EMAIL="westcreekhomeowner@gmail.com"]westcreekhomeowner@gmail.com[/EMAIL]> wrote:
Please have a standards monitor review the following violations:

11826 - I think that address is correct; its about 7 houses before (street name) if traveling on Westcreek Oaks from Military. Very ugly paint smudges on back of house. Easily viewable from Westcreek Oaks.

11938 - Bad wood rot on back of house. Easily viewable from (street names) intersection.

11910 or 11914 - Bad wood rot on back of house. Easily viewable from Westcreek Oaks, almost straight across from where (street name) meets Westcreek Oaks.

11523 - Tall grass/weeds in front yard; muddy rut on right side of driveway where vehicles are parked partially off the driveway.

11514 - Missing molding and wood rot around door frame on left side of house. In the "back yard" but can easily be seen from the road. Had been this way for at least six months.

Thank you,
Concerned Resident

Old 11-13-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHomeOwner View Post
Glad to have found this forum. I'm posting a copy of an email exchange as a means of showing how difficult it can be to get simple issues corrected. These have been going on for over 40 days now...since first reported to the office. If you see legitimate issues that aren't being corrected, I'd encourage you to report them as well.

Street names removed below so as not to point out individual houses on this forum. Newest email verbiage at top.

I didn't say that you weren't following proper procedures...just pointing out that these issues are still ongoing. A couple of these could fairly easily be new to you but some of the wood rot/paint issues are very obvious and should have been corrected long ago as these are the types of things that will indeed hurt the value of properties in the community.

The issue about the shed not having a vent (separate email) was in fact corrected...thank you.

- Hide quoted text -
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Ken Lemanski <vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Dear Concerned Resident,

Once again I can assure you all of these issues have been addressed by my self and the monitors who work these areas. We are following the proper steps as they are set forth in the CC&Rs and the Standards. If you have any more questions or concerns please call my office and we can set an appointment to meet here at my office.

E-Mail: vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:02 PM
To: Ken Lemanski
Cc: Elizabeth Jensen; Westcreek BOD

Thank you for addressing the issues that I brought forward to you back on October 1. Since it is now about 40 days from when I first brought these up, I wanted to touch base with you again. The original issues are below along with updated comments on them.

Update 11/11/09 - Based on your reply about the butterflies, we must be talking about different houses. I'll try to double check the possible address. It wasn't the butterflies that I had called bad paint smudges.
11938 - Bad wood rot on back of house. Easily viewable from (street names) intersection. Update 11/11/09 - Not corrected.
11910 or 11914 - Bad wood rot on back of house. Easily viewable from Westcreek Oaks, almost straight across from where (street name) meets Westcreek Oaks. Update 11/11/09 - Not corrected.
11523 - Tall grass/weeds in front yard; muddy rut on right side of driveway where vehicles are parked partially off the driveway. Update 11/11/09 - Partially corrected. Resident put in a few large rocks by the back tire and a few by the front tire. No way this would be approved by the ARC.
11514 - Missing molding and wood rot around door frame on left side of house. In the "back yard" but can easily be seen from the road. Had been this way for at least six months. Update 11/11/09 - Not corrected.
Thanks again.
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Ken Lemanski <vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Dear Concerned Resident,

Without getting into to many specifics about when Courtesy Notices were written and the time frames these homeowners were given, I can assure you these issues are being addressed. The one house you saw on (street name) with the black paint smudges are actually two black metallic butterflies on the back of their house. The Monitor for this area has taken pictures of these items.

Once again thank you for your concerns about keeping Westcreek looking good.

E-Mail: vwoa-cc@sbcglobal.net

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:38 AM
To: Westcreek HOA; Elizabeth Jensen; Ken Lemanski; Westcreek BOD

Ken,

You replied on October 5th to say that the below issues would be given to the appropriate monitors. As of today (October 28), it appears that none of these have been corrected.

I saw one of the monitors today driving around. Not sure how effective one can be driving but this particular monitor seems to only drive and not walk. I'm not identifying the area or individual because my goal is not to cause problems for any employee but perhaps either a policy review or a reminder of how to cover an area might be in order.

Thank you,
Concerned Resident

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Westcreek Homeowner <westcreekhomeowner@gmail.com> wrote:
Please have a standards monitor review the following violations:

11938 - Bad wood rot on back of house. Easily viewable from (street names) intersection.

11910 or 11914 - Bad wood rot on back of house. Easily viewable from Westcreek Oaks, almost straight across from where (street name) meets Westcreek Oaks.

11523 - Tall grass/weeds in front yard; muddy rut on right side of driveway where vehicles are parked partially off the driveway.

11514 - Missing molding and wood rot around door frame on left side of house. In the "back yard" but can easily be seen from the road. Had been this way for at least six months.

Thank you,
Concerned Resident
In the past I had addressed several issues and got no where with phone calls or Community Center visits . I asked that a HOA Staff Member meet with me and he did. I won't lie, it was a waste of time but I was at least able to voice my concerns one on one and point out what the concerns were.

I did learn that you cannot say anything to the Standards Monitors as I did several years ago. I was polite in pointing out a direct violation of the Standards and he took offense to it. It turned into a "Street Pissing Match" between the both of us. I realize that they are not here to be abused but if you cannot politely point a violation or ask a question then there is something wrong. It's not like I called his Mother any names.

I'm glad we have the Standard's Monitor's but I'm not going to pay someone 7-8 dollars an hour, 20 hours a week to take a stroll around our neighborhoods' for the exercise.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:22 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF View Post
I hope you know Wellguy that you have just given new meaning to "Water Boarding"!

Ugh!!! lol

Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
[quote=wc2005;11611731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post

So, what if my sign said "Open only to WC Members in good standing"?

Again, the Texas State Comptroller does not consider yard sales to be commercial activity as long as the individual has no more than two per year.

9212712L [Tax Type: Sales] [Document Type: Letter/Memo] - Highlighted by Ultraseek

6508L0112A12 [Tax Type: Sales] [Document Type: Letter/Memo]

And below is a good example of a community having a regulated sale but AT THE RESIDENT'S HOMES...
Real Estate Blog - Steiner Ranch - Austin TX - Neighborhood Garage Sale
Would still be considered public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio