Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 AM

245 posts, read 696,779 times

Advertisements

If we're going to the Alamo area, I usually park a block or two north of the Alamo, on N. Alamo, for free (weekends. Even during the week though, it's just a few quarters). If we're going to La Villita, I park in that church parking lot across from there, about $5 (actually I think they bumped up the price). If we're going to El Mercado, I park under the freeway for $5, and the machine takes credit cards. We usually spend a few hours down there, and sometimes end up walking all the way to the River Walk and back again.

I do remember way back in the day when the River Center Mall parking lot was free (it was, wasn't it??) As soon as they jacked up the prices we've never parked there again. I think the prices are ridiculous and hurt the businesses there. And in my opinion, San Antonio residents should be able to buy an annual parking pass for relatively cheap that they can use so they can go downtown as much as they'd like. I think $20 would be fair. It could be a combination of a card that can be used in the machines, as well as something you hang from your rear view mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,564,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasero View Post
And in my opinion, San Antonio residents should be able to buy an annual parking pass for relatively cheap that they can use so they can go downtown as much as they'd like. I think $20 would be fair. It could be a combination of a card that can be used in the machines, as well as something you hang from your rear view mirror.

That is an excellent idea. Bring up to the District 1 Councilman, Diego Bernal. The city is making an effort to encourage locals to utilize downtown more, which is why Councilman Bernal pushed "Downtown Tuesdays."
A year pass makes some sense.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,824,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I'm like a lot of people...I avoid the downtown area like a plague nowadays! I might go downtown once a year. It wasn't always that way. It used to be better. Now, the high cost of parking is a deterrent...and to use a parking lot invokes the fear of the dreaded "boot", even if I paid exactly what I'm supposed to pay.

A lot of people?
Actually, Downtown and Southtown have at this point in time never experienced more local-based foot traffic and it's only going to get better. Don't let your dislike of not knowing the area very well influence others in exploring this great part of San Antonio.

Parking is not an issue if you simply drive a bit. The city has a garage on Travis, it's cheap. You can also always valet at The Palm for $7 flat. Just walk into the bar and order a drink. Easy as pie.

RC parking garage, yes, is a pain, but overall for this size of this city, we still have cheapo parking. Complaining about $4 is odd when you consider that in Dallas or Austin, parking for an hour in a prime location can cost you upwards of $12-18. Be happy we're where we're at.

BN

Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,653,171 times
Well, the city ordinance has been put on hold due to legal problems and I probably wouldn't ever be going downtown on Tuesdays after 5 p.m. anyway. I know the area well enough, although not so as well as I did before parking became such a major problem. I'm not telling anyone else to stay away from downtown. I'm just saying for me personally it's just not worth the hassle and the expense and I know other people who feel the same.

Last edited by Lee W.; 06-20-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 PM

693 posts, read 1,503,715 times
Chico's is the only store in Rivercenter that you can still get your ticket validated for free. You have to buy something in the store.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,440,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Hi all,
I just went downtown with my son to the Rivercenter mall (June 2012) to see a movie at the Imax theater. We went to the 9:30am showing to see "Born to be wild". When we got there we saw a group of about 50+ kids (no exaggeration) from some type of organization. They were all waiting in line (from the popcorn machine to out the entrance) to get their popcorn. It looked like a little assembly line as each one stepped up to grab their popcorn. Needless to say they were there to see the movie we wanted to see so we turned around right away and walked back to the car. I told my son we would see it another time. We parked at the Rivercenter parking garage. We couldn't have been any more than 10 minutes (probably less).

Despite leaving the mall right away and being there for such a short time, when we went to exit the garage I was shocked to find out it was $4. I actually hit the call button because I thought it was some kind of mistake. The lady came on over the speaker and I said we were there for only a couple of minutes and it is saying I owe $4. She said anything up to an hour is $4. I had no choice but to pay.

This was not always the case. It seems a new company is running the garage and some changes have been made:
1. Before if you shopped at the mall and got your ticket validated it was free. They no longer do that. I realize they stopped doing this years ago but still.
2. If you parked for 15 minutes or less they still charge. They did not used to do that. Not even the airport, doctors offices or other places I have been to do they charge you if you are there for only a few minutes. This is fairly new.
3. Each additional 20minutes is $1 up to $18! They used to charge per hour and the max fee was like $12 per day/8 hours. This is fairly new.
4. They no longer have attendants and it is an automated system. Despite these increased fees they are saving/making even more money. This is fairly new.

This was my long rant/frustration with the River center parking Center. Needless to say we will look for parking elsewhere. Where is a good/cheap/safe spot to park in downtown San Antonio?
Man when i was younger i used and abused the free parking, now if i think about going it would be on a tuesday night.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:08 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,883,653 times
We parked on Cesar Chavez using a meter. 1 dollar for 4 hours! We walked through the HemisFair, then the Convention Center, then the Riverwalk to get to Rivercenter. Problem solved.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,824,499 times
There's still tons of free parking in Southtown. It's not that far of a walk folks... Enjoy the scenery, support some local business and get outside.

BN

Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 PM

604 posts, read 1,873,421 times
$4 THATS IT?! that's gotta be the cheapest parking downtown! (no joke!)

but what I always do is park on Durango (I think now it's called Cesar Chavez) next to the park, the meters are free after a certain time, the only down side is walking. but free! Its like after 6pm or something like that.

(but really, when I was reading your post I thought you were going to say $8-10 or something, $4 is really not bad at all these days)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio