Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,607 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, apologies in advance this is quite long.

I just wanted to get some ideas on what to do in early October in San Antonio, preferably stuff around downtown/the Riverwalk. It's been nearly six years since I was down there and I was in high school at the time so I didn't get to see everything (Youth Leadership). Even though I didn't get to see everything, I still loved visiting down there so I'm very excited to visit again especially since it's my first vacation since I've been on Dialysis the past year and a half.

It's just going to be my mother and myself since my siblings have school and her fiancee has to work out of state. So we decided what the heck, we'll take a mini-vacation. So, we're open to doing anything. So far, we plan on visiting the Riverwalk almost everyday so any unique places to visit? The only thing that comes to mind is of course the tours, and then there's Casa Rio restaurant that I loved going to go when I visiting. The Alamo and Flags over Texas/Tour of Americas? are a must. Anything sports related, even golf courses, would be great, even if it is not near downtown.

Also, we plan on visiting Corpus Christi for a day. Instead of creating another thread in that forum, can anyone recommend places to visit down there besides the beach, which we plan on going to for a few hours?

And I did use the stickied thread to search on what to do but there is just so much to go through, it's a little overwhelming haha so I hope y'all don't mind me creating this thread. Please let me know if you need some more information or have any questions. Thanks in advance.

TL; DR (too long, don't read): Need trip ideas in and around downtown SA during the first week or two of October.

[EDIT] There is also a BBQ place that I cannot remember the name of that I would like to go to again. It's located close to under a bridge/billboard just outside the downtown area. I think it started with an 'H'.. Sorry if that's a little too vague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Depending on when in October, it could be hockey season, and you could catch a Rampage game. Again depending on when in October up in New Braunfels it could be Octoberfest, and thats worth checking out

Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the answer.

We will definitely go during the first two weeks of October. For sure during a weekend as well. I will check into the hockey team/schedule.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
You said BBQ take a drive to Adkins and have Texas Pride BBQ.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
The Pig Stand is on Broadway almost under 35/37 interchange. There is a big billboard over the parking lot.
Try to arrange a tour of the missions besides the Alamo. There are 4 more that are more beautiful and as historic, if more so.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 AM

Thank you guys, I will definitely take those into consideration.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Hockey? Bleh? Depending on the weather (we can still have triple digit temps in early October), but I would consider the usual tourist highlights for your visit: The Alamo, Mission Trails, Riverwalk (either the one word version or two! ), Buckhorn Saloon, Tower of the Americas (just don't eat there), getting out into the Texas Hill Country (if you have transportation, otherwise it's not really doable) and most importantly, eat!

Skip SeaWorld, Six Flags and the zoo unless you are married with kids. They're fun, but they are not unique to San Antonio.

More info can be found at: VisitSanAntonio.com

Enjoy yourself!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-12-2012, 05:25 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Check out the hummingbird migration to Mexico....such a wonderful event if your timing is correct!

Hummingbird Migration: Citizen Scientists Track Hummingbird Migration with Journey North

You can join up the hummers with the butterflies if your timing is right and so inclinded.....beautiful for sure...

http://www.houstonaudubon.org/defaul...ookieSupport=1

Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Corpus Christi is way over-rated (I've been there too many times). Why not go to the Hill Country? Take Hwy 16 West to Bandera, continue on to Kerville, then on to Fredricksburg. You can then head East on Hwy 290 toward Austin and stop by LBJ's ranch.

If you postpone until the first week of November, then you could go to the Annual Wurstfest in New Braunfels (Nov 2-11).

Old 08-12-2012, 11:51 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
IF you are looking for lodging...ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD to include SA and hill country area....try AIRBNB.COM. We find it MUCH superior to hotels, with all the charm of a B&B and lots of additional amenities for reasonably priced accomodations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio