Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 AM

326 posts, read 681,999 times

Advertisements

88txaggie- Thanks for the input! My oldest is a soccer kinda guy and has been for the last 4 years, year round. My twins seem to enjoy anything that involves kicking or bouncing a ball so we'll see. I'm totally fine with going out to the local game but I was just curious if it was really THAT big of a deal? I may not be making sense here...

MattTX- I get what you're saying. I love the mom and pop type places/towns. But I also like my fair share of "today". I don't need it all in one place as I'm capable of driving... are things closed on Sunday in Boerne?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
. are things closed on Sunday in Boerne?
Some of the local places, but the majority are open. Due to the German heritage, there are some places that are closed on Mondays, the traditional rest day, but it isn't many. All the major things are open on Sunday, the HEB grocery store, Wal-Mart, etc.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM

Gotcha. I have to admit- I was unaware of the German heritage being so prevelant in some of the areas in TX. We were initially looking at New Braunfels and knew of it there though.

I really appreciate all this input though! You all have been a big help

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 16,097 times
Default I married / gave birth to Two of NC's Three redeeming qualities

Quote:
Bo- yikes! Scary stuff. That's the type of stuff that makes me think- oh crap, maybe we should just relocate to NC!
Hi there, Rapp5--If you are looking to move to NC, PLEASE do not do so lightly. Also, PLEASE avoid the Triad (Greensboro / Winston-Salem / High Point) Area at all costs--unless all of the following are true:
- you have a job offer with a healthy organization and will be able to afford to live in the Northwestern area of Guilford County
- you went to middle school or high school here
- you have relatives that went to middle or high school here
- you are childless
- you are xenophobic

A little background: I am a native of Los Angeles, CA got engaged mid-2008 and moved here in January of 2009, closing the gap on a long-distance relationship; this is where my husband is originally from. He has had the same job as a tile mason since he was 19 years old; he will be 39 at the end of this year. Typical of non-wealthy, under-educated people here, it never occurred to him to broaden his horizons by going into business for himself OR going to school to get a contractor's license OR working for a more conscientious employer. He admitted to me that he just figured he'd have the same job until he retired and he hadn't thought about doing anything else. To his credit, he very much enjoys his work, so there's that.

Part of the reason I agreed to move here instead of the other way around is that NC supposedly had a teacher shortage; as teaching is my second career and I earned an advanced degree in the craft, I assumed (incorrectly) that I would be a shoo-in for a job here. I couldn't have been more wrong. There are plenty of teaching jobs available, but the problem is that I am an outsider (or a foreigner as I have been politely called.) Allow me to say that I am a Californian of African American descent which classifies me as "foreign," apparently. I have been looking for a permanent teaching job for two years with no luck. I did some substitute teaching from February to May and I have seen some HORRIFIC THINGS in the schools here. In some places (in the disadvantaged areas, obviously) there was absolutely NO learning taking place. As long as I live and breathe our daughter (now age three, who already reads on a Kindergarten reading level will not spend more than one year in these ****-poor schools (excuse my swearing.) On a side note, it took the district [Guilford County Schools] quite literally two years to finally process my paperwork; although I completed my student teaching in that district through a cooperative agreement between my University and the district; when I moved here, the only thing I had left to do to complete my California Credential was the student teaching portion--I opted to complete that here in NC, since it's a six month process. Another side note: NC finally lifted its ceiling (of 100) ban on Charter Schools, so there's that.

Amenities are few and far between -- simple things like bike lanes aren't common; people are VERY vocal about the "dangers" of bicyclists using the surface roads and are emphatic about suggesting that you can cram your bike in your car and hoof it to one of the stupid (crowded) 30 acre parks which feature, among other gems, loads of goose turds, dirty - if even operable - restrooms, very few water fountains, almost no Parks & Recreation department, recreation rooms that are cost prohibitive for the public to rent, etc. etc. Cyclists and pedestrians get killed or seriously injured pretty frequently here, because there is no concept of "Share the Road." I have had incredibly low blood pressure all my life and since I moved here, my blood pressure has been high-- and No, not all African Americans have high blood pressure...I honestly think it's the stress of living here that's doing it.

I find people in this area to be VERY immature and stuck in the past...I don't know anyone in their teens or early 20's so I don't know if that age group would have a different experience than me. People here tend to let where they're from determine their life's trajectory--they are very 'place' oriented. It's really weird. So anyway, that's more than $.02, but be forewarned.

Oh, the Third NC redeeming quality is: The Triangle area. Especially Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Saxapahaw, Hillsborough, Mebane. If you can move there, you should.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks for that. NC- the only area we were considering was Johnston co right outside the Triangle area.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 PM

500 posts, read 748,526 times
Rapp5, you don't say what part of Md. you are from, but if you are from the DC suburbs be prepared for some culture shock if you decide to move here. It's just apples and oranges in many respects.

Also, if you are from a top school district such as Montgomery County, you will be disappointed in what Boerne has to offer. There's just no comparison.

I built a home in Fair Oaks and while it does have some advantages such as quiet, open spaces and extremely low crime, it's just not for me. I would certainly encourage you to come out with your family and visit to get your own feel for it.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
Also, if you are from a top school district such as Montgomery County, you will be disappointed in what Boerne has to offer. There's just no comparison.
I have to disagree here. I lived in Alexandria, VA and had many friends with school aged children in Montgomery County MD (North Bethesda, Rockville, and all the way out to Germantown) and I would put Boerne schools up against the schools in MD any day. My kids have attended school in Ohio, several locations in Texas, Washington state, and the United Kingdom. I am much happier with the schools in Boerne than anywhere else we have lived. Champion High School recently received the gold medal in the US News and World reports annual review.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 AM

LVKim8- We live in Charles Co. about 30 minutes outside of DC. The Charles Co schools aren't so hot which is why my oldest, school age child is in Private school here. I love his school but private school times 3...isn't in our budget. So, we were looking to relocate to a better area that is a little more affordable, decent schools, and where "family" is still appreciated. This area is just SUCH a rat race...for what? Not to mention that DC is moving into the neighboring PG co which then pushes the PG people into Charles...it's just going down hill fast and I'd prefer to get out now while my boys are still young. We'd LOVE to find a place to call home that we'd stay for years and the boys can come back as adults. THIS isn't that area...

Old 02-06-2014, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 9,318 times
Default Boerne, TX is Hill Country Hotspot!

Quote:
I've never heard of this area but see a lot of new homes are being built. Any/all information would be appreciated. Possibly relocating from MD. What school district is that? Actually, just ANY information would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Boerne, Texas was rated by CNN's Money magazine as the top place to live based on such factors as median income, state income taxes, housing prices, educational standards, quality of life, divorce rates and weather. Boerne scored first across all categories!

Shopping, visiting the area's beautiful caves, exploring the local nature center, enjoying historically-authenic exhibits, birding, cycling, hunting are all at in this sought after area of the Texas Hill Country. Liveability is high with Boerne's cultural amenities, sustainability and hiking distance within the historic main street. Watch the ducks waddle in town from our friendly river park! The prestigious Boerne ISD schools are highly rated.

And you are still close enough to work in San Antonio with easy access to Interstate-10 and a short 20-30 minute drive to the San Antonio Riverwalk.

[Mod cut - Please read the Terms of Service]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-06-2014 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: TOS Violation

Old 02-07-2014, 07:29 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Google it !!!!

You'll find any and all updated information that you need !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio