Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times

Advertisements

In the mean time it would not hurt just to have some daily service with fast diesels to say Austin, Houston, Corpus Christi, and maybe even New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,599,386 times
VIA is implementing the BRT here in SA. I am really discouraged by this as they seem to think it is a logical solution. I am not really buying it. However, it is a step in the right direction. At this point it will at least allow for the acquisition of the right of ways which can then be transformed to a better service in the future.

I have posted significantly in the toll road and 281 threads. I must say that I would gladly jump at the opportunity to ride a commuter rail of some sort into work downtown and back out to my home in the evenings. That would be my dream come true. Sadly though - I don't think it will happen any time soon

Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM

90 posts, read 290,352 times
While BRT can logically be seen as a step in the right direction, I'm cynical enough to believe that it's failure would justify further expenditures for -any- other mass transit solutions, while its success would justify expanding a comparatively crappy solution.

Rail > Busses, if for no other reason than you have higher densities on the rail lines than you could -ever- place in buses over the same routes.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 AM

53 posts, read 134,210 times
My idea route for a commuter train to Austin would be a stop near South Austin then to the Austin Bregstrom Airport. Return trip back to San Antonio International. Then on our side light rail to North Star to Crossroads then to Downtown .Maybe a separate line from 281 or from the Rim for downtown workers. This would help college students air passengers shoppers and commuters. They could be built on the highway system. It would serve alot of people and provide much needed jobs.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 PM

24 posts, read 51,607 times
Default China needs to be hired

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
I sent an email to ASA asking them when they thought the commuter rail service between Austin and San Antonio would be working...response 2010 or 2011.

It's a project that is long overdue. Hopefully, it will spur additional rail service in San Antonio i.e. Hwy 281 and other congested areas. San Antonio needs to get on the "ball" and promote commuter rail throughout the city i.e. Austin.

ASA Rail: Austin-San Antonio Intermunicipal Commuter Rail District

In the future a 300+mph bullet train that would link Houston, DFW, Austin and San Antonio would be nice. If we could just get the SouthWest lobby, to stop using their might to block real rail alternatives to airplanes. Skys are getting very crowded and bullet trains offer a viable alternative. Just think less than 40 minutes on a bullet train you could be in Houston and in hour you could be in Dallas. Trains going 300+ mph are under development.
I want to commend you on your comments and add to that if we want to think that we are apart of a country that represents the leading edge of technology and dominance in the affairs of the world, then I think we better start mirroring what is taking place in China and and other cities of the world. Our infrastructure is broken. Until the government starts using the Army Reserves and Peace Corp. to rebuild our rails and expand the reach of our current lacking of travel by rail. Europe is a good example for us to follow. The type of modern train stations that can transform the way we live. Bullet trains are ran off magnets. No contrails and wasted energy source. America should continue to systematically web the entire continent with high speed rail service. It cost $50,000 in fuel for most commercial jets to fly from New York to Los Angeles. What is the operation cost of a bullet train between the two. I guarantee its less than these oil propaganda lran wars in who knows...Our fossil fuels are limited so they say. At what cost do we not reinvest to the future of what cities can be like. The University of Texas should provide a developemental type program to study urban and rural impact of bullet train service. Our nation need an option to choose to take the rail or the over priced, delay ridden, and broken security infrastructure of the airlines. Maybe the military needs to be at our airport and ports and not these private sector groups. Honestly I would feel more safe if they were there.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
There's too many people that think that train lines and highways get built by magic. (Don't want to spend money doing it)

Old 01-01-2011, 06:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Harris View Post
I want to commend you on your comments and add to that if we want to think that we are apart of a country that represents the leading edge of technology and dominance in the affairs of the world, then I think we better start mirroring what is taking place in China and and other cities of the world. Our infrastructure is broken. Until the government starts using the Army Reserves and Peace Corp. to rebuild our rails and expand the reach of our current lacking of travel by rail. Europe is a good example for us to follow. The type of modern train stations that can transform the way we live. Bullet trains are ran off magnets. No contrails and wasted energy source. America should continue to systematically web the entire continent with high speed rail service. It cost $50,000 in fuel for most commercial jets to fly from New York to Los Angeles. What is the operation cost of a bullet train between the two. I guarantee its less than these oil propaganda lran wars in who knows...Our fossil fuels are limited so they say. At what cost do we not reinvest to the future of what cities can be like. The University of Texas should provide a developemental type program to study urban and rural impact of bullet train service. Our nation need an option to choose to take the rail or the over priced, delay ridden, and broken security infrastructure of the airlines. Maybe the military needs to be at our airport and ports and not these private sector groups. Honestly I would feel more safe if they were there.

Cost? Well, let's see. The cost of Japan's maglev system is estimated at 51 billion...and they are still in debt over their bullet trains.

Simply not cost effective in ANY way. At least, not currently.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Cost? Well, let's see. The cost of Japan's maglev system is estimated at 51 billion...and they are still in debt over their bullet trains.

Ummmm , the Japanese Railway system is one of a few that runs on profit. The Maglev line is being built in phases , and will open in 2045. Acela Express runs on profit also along with a few other HST's. Amtrak Regional , Vermonter , Keystone , and Downeaster all run on or near profit. The only Japan is in debt or making mistakes is building highways to nowhere , but everything in Japan is private. There Bullet trains also run every 5-10 mins , the only railway system to operate like Mass Transit.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post

M2F,

Our country is in debt as well as we all know it. Way more than 51 billion over spending of items that I personally consider less useful than bullet trains. Point is, I wish the reason we are in debt because of something more useful such as the bullet trains.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I've heard that the commuter trains even in the most heavily used area of the country (northeast) is only utilized by 5% of the commuters there. The rest of them drive.

I imagine that percentage would be even lower here in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio