Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM

258 posts, read 324,113 times

Advertisements

I heard there were talks of putting lower income housing in or near Stone Oak. This would change the demographics of the area for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,507,673 times
What is the exact purpose of intergrating low income/section 8, whatever to the more affluent areas of town? I read something awhile back that said it will give the lower income residents a taste of a better life, so they will be more enthused and driven about bettering their lives? Is that accurate?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,357,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
What is the exact purpose of intergrating low income/section 8, whatever to the more affluent areas of town? I read something awhile back that said it will give the lower income residents a taste of a better life, so they will be more enthused and driven about bettering their lives? Is that accurate?
Thats what they say...

Before they go ruining housing values they should have to prove some kind of results.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-10-2012 at 02:55 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,883,159 times
Alamo Heights high school has had section 8 apartments in its jurisdiction for years. The sensationalism that home values will decline is only based on the assumption that some are still able to move yet further out. Eventually space will run out to keep doing that. They have also been putting section 8 apartments all over the city ever since the Victoria Courts were torn down.

There is a difference between new housing, as discussed in the article Bo linked, and converting preexisting housing, which is done more easily. Not so long ago people were against apartments in their neighborhoods period.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,507,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Thats what they say...

Before they go ruining housing values they should have to prove some kind of results.
I have been looking for some kind of report or study that gives the results of such action, but so far no luck. Been trying to find info on the average time a person or family is on sec. 8 housing and foodstamps also. That may give an indication to some degree on how "enthused" people are to get off the program. I realize it's unfair to lump everyone together as a group, as i'm sure there are those that work hard to get their lives back on track...and I applaude them. I personally know someone that has been using the system for over 15 years, and she gets either free or discounted services on everything one needs to live. For some reason she STILL hasn't gotten off her keyster and even tried to get a GED, after everyone else we know graduated high school over 31 years ago. From just shooting the breeze with her and her neighbors a few times, I got the impression that they are just fine with things the way they are. Imagine that.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-10-2012 at 02:55 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 AM

332 posts, read 530,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Thats what they say...

doubt it will happen. the HOA's will forclose on them and sell their house before they let that happen.

probably the only time an HoA would come in handy!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-10-2012 at 02:56 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,466,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post

That is totally not accurate. They can get on the Via bus and drive by the rich area if they really want a taste. Putting section 8 housing in affluent neighborhoods will not motivate them. I am not rich, but i sure dont want section 8 housing in my neighborhood.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
That is totally not accurate. They can get on the Via bus and drive by the rich area if they really want a taste. Putting section 8 housing in affluent neighborhoods will not motivate them. I am not rich, but i sure dont want section 8 housing in my neighborhood.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,299,137 times
There is sec 8 housing in Castle Hills area that I spent some of my childhood in. The reason we lived in that project was because of the schools ---- not so we could admire (or rob) the rich folk. Not all school districts are created equal and therein lies the problem IMO. We lived there so I could at least have a fighting chance at the same opportunities as wealthier kids. It wasn't all gravy though, being broke and going to school with rich kids was brutal. Maybe if the schools in the barrio could compete in terms of education quality, facilities, and amenities then the kids in the barrio would have something to be proud of and potentially put more emphasis into their education. Of course I recognize that it does help to have parental involvement. Despite what I know others may feel, many poor families are working poor families. My family was. I think the city wanted to put these groups of people in "nicer" housing in nicer sides of town because they had hoped it would create a sense of pride for these people. When your surroundings are hopeless then you become hopeless. I just moved from the SSide and let me say its stressful more than anything living in the hood. I think it backfired because poor folk arent necessarily stupid folk. How can you feel prideful about something you didnt work for?

I am grateful that my parents wanted better for their children and felt that living in a wealthier area so we could go to "better" schools was the way to do it --- I think in the end it set the foundation for our future successes that all of us have had.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
There is sec 8 housing in Castle Hills area that I spent some of my childhood in. The reason we lived in that project was because of the schools ---- not so we could admire (or rob) the rich folk. Not all school districts are created equal and therein lies the problem IMO. We lived there so I could at least have a fighting chance at the same opportunities as wealthier kids. It wasn't all gravy though, being broke and going to school with rich kids was brutal. Maybe if the schools in the barrio could compete in terms of education quality, facilities, and amenities then the kids in the barrio would have something to be proud of and potentially put more emphasis into their education. Of course I recognize that it does help to have parental involvement. Despite what I know others may feel, many poor families are working poor families. My family was. I think the city wanted to put these groups of people in "nicer" housing in nicer sides of town because they had hoped it would create a sense of pride for these people. When your surroundings are hopeless then you become hopeless. I just moved from the SSide and let me say its stressful more than anything living in the hood. I think it backfired because poor folk arent necessarily stupid folk. How can you feel prideful about something you didnt work for?

I am grateful that my parents wanted better for their children and felt that living in a wealthier area so we could go to "better" schools was the way to do it --- I think in the end it set the foundation for our future successes that all of us have had.

With all the redistribution of the funds that are collected for school the bold phrase above more than likely sets district's apart far more than anyone wants. (parents that care) Not to mention title one money schools will pay some of a teachers school loans so they tend to attract new talent that might not have the experience to help at risk kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio